• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where do you find xxx

Jake

About 1 year ago, I picked up a large granite mortar and pestle, $30, Canadian made, at my Korean store, P.A.T., 1973 Lawrence Av. East, Scarboro. They still have it, and I have seen much higher prices elsewhere. I believe thay have locations in th Annex and Miss. as well.

I also got nice looking pork belly slices there but am not sure what to do with them.

the Annex location of P.A.T. is on the south side of Bloor between Bathurst and Christie. Palmerston-ish, I think.

sam gyup sal (the pork belly) is often grilled/sauteed in a skillet and then served with raw garlic and similarly grilled onions and mushrooms, for wrapping in (romaine?) lettuce, then dipped in this paste which seems to be chili paste (with garlic and/or fermented soy bean? in it), served with rice. It's also commonly stir-fried with kimchi and served over rice or the rice is stir-fried right in. I'm much less sure of what the sauce is for that, but I'd guess the kimchi "juice" and more hot sauce, slightly thickened.

the Annex location of P.A.T. is on the south side of Bloor between Bathurst and Christie.  Palmerston-ish, I think.

sam gyup sal (the pork belly) is often grilled/sauteed in a skillet and then served with raw garlic and similarly grilled onions and mushrooms, for wrapping in (romaine?) lettuce, then dipped in this paste which seems to be chili paste (with garlic and/or fermented soy bean? in it), served with rice.  It's also commonly stir-fried with kimchi and served over rice or the rice is stir-fried right in.  I'm much less sure of what the sauce is for that, but I'd guess the kimchi "juice" and more hot sauce, slightly thickened.

I didn't have enough ingredients for this, but kept it in mind for my adaptation: the pork slices were dredged in hot garlicky paprika-like powder from P.A.T., then placed on the cool side of a Weber, drenched in soy sauce, and left to hot smoke for an hour. Then served wrapped in arrugula, tomato, mayo-mustard and chopped sage.

The slices of pork belly look like they could be brined and seasoned for pancetta; that's what is on my agenda after the next visit to the store.

• 4 weeks later...

This is interesting:

beefconnections.ca

It is a co-op of farmers and butchers in central Ontario (Listowel) selling their beef, pork, sausages etc direct to the public, at reasonable prices, and they deliver. Well almost.

You can get information about breeds and raising practices on the site, and place an order, and it will be delivered packaged and frozen on a specific day to a location ranging from Grand Bend to Toronto to Owen Sound.

The next delivery to Toronto is Dec. 2, and the truck will be at Bloor and Euclid.

They sell 25 lb samplers of beef for $125. 50 lb is $100 more. I am going to try one of these, and maybe some summer sausage (in cloth) before I commit to a half beef or pork.

The site is friendly, and it looks like a real connection to the grower can be achieved.

We can get the same connection from Cumbrae's and other sources, but the price is a lot higher.

I'd say this is worth a shot.

can someone tell me where I could purchase chicken bones, somwhere in milton,georgetown,oakville is prefered, but any place in toronto is fine as well

thanks

May I suggest Maple Lodge farms, on Winston Churchill, north of Steeles? That should be right in your area.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

This is interesting:

beefconnections.ca

It is a co-op of farmers and butchers in central Ontario (Listowel) selling their beef, pork, sausages etc direct to  the public, at reasonable prices, and they deliver.  Well almost. 

You can get information about breeds and raising practices on the site, and place an order, and it will be delivered packaged and frozen on a specific day to a location ranging from Grand Bend to Toronto to Owen Sound.

The next delivery to Toronto is Dec. 2, and the truck will be at Bloor and Euclid.

They sell 25 lb samplers of beef for $125. 50 lb is $100 more. I am going to try one of these, and maybe some summer sausage (in cloth) before I commit to a half beef or pork.

The site is friendly, and it looks like a real connection to the grower can be achieved.

We can get the same connection from Cumbrae's and other sources, but the price is a lot higher.

I'd say this is worth a shot.

Looks interesting. The other thing you need to remember about Cumbrae's beef is that Cumbrae's dry ages their beef, which may account for some of the increase in price. I don't see that beef connections does. In any event, there isn't a drop off point close enough to me to try this for now.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Anyone know where I can find Tarbais or flageolet beans in southern Ontario.

I've purchased both (dried) at SLM, downstairs at Rube's. Cheese boutique has tinned/jarred flageolets.

I tried maple lodge farms, but they said they dont sell bones, which is weird becasue what do they do with em?

Very odd, I've purchased them there before. Try calling them and speaking to someone in the office, as I assume you're looking for them in bulk. Otherwise, try your butcher, or if you're in Toronto any of the butchers at SLM should be able to help you.

The oriental supermakets usually have chicken bones bags for $1.

St Andrews Poultry (at Kensington Market) always has very fresh meaty chicken backs with necks attached for $0.59/lb

I tried maple lodge farms, but they said they dont sell bones, which is weird becasue what do they do with em?

Anyone know where I can find Tarbais or flageolet beans in southern Ontario.

I've purchased both (dried) at SLM, downstairs at Rube's. Cheese boutique has tinned/jarred flageolets.

Thanks Barbara, I'll hit there Saturday.

beefconnections.ca

Regarding Beef Connections, I ordered a 1/4 cow from them this year and it is fabulous!  They have one farmer in the group who raises his cattle organically, and that is what I ordered.  Great people to deal with.  Next time I will specify thicker steaks.

Good point! When I order I"ll try to get thicker cuts, but I may not order enough to get preference (not much freezer space at this time.)

I remember the type of meat cutting available in small towns, but I imagine beefconnections is willing to accomodate urban tastes.

As Marlene points out the beef is not dry aged like Cumbrae's, but it is a real opportunity for us to get grass fed Ontario beef, and actually communicate with the grower.

Looks interesting. The other thing you need to remember about Cumbrae's beef is that Cumbrae's dry ages their beef, which may account for some of the increase in price. I don't see that beef connections does. In any event, there isn't a drop off point close enough to me to try this for now.

Interesting. I didn't see any reference to dry aging on Beef Connections, but I could easily have missed it. Cumbrae's ages their meat for 30 days. The prime rib I recently cooked was dry aged 7 weeks. I won't deny that Cumbrae's is expensive though, so I'll be interested in hearing about the quality of beef connections offerings.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I know I have seen egg white powder at the Bulk Barrel.

Thank you so much. I did actually find it, at McCall's Bakers Warehouse. I now have half a kilo, which at 3 grams per recipe should pretty much last me the rest of my natural life. So anyone who is going to make macaroons may want to contact me.

My local Sobey's was my only source for the 2.5 kg bag of Robin Hood blending flour, but they dropped it or else sold out.

Does anyone know another source, or a substitute for thickening sauces, at low cost?

My local Sobey's was my only source for the 2.5 kg bag of Robin Hood blending flour, but they dropped it or else sold out.

Does anyone know another source, or a substitute for thickening sauces, at low cost?

I usually bring back Wondra when I cross the border.