• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where do you find xxx

Jake

I was looking for a pork shoulder a while ago and NOTHING in the south market. HOWEVER, if you go on Saturday to the Farmer's Market in the North Building, right near the entrance there is a butcher that does all sorts of different cuts of pork.

Just to add to my question above - where can you get beef cheeks in TO?

And, a small oddity - why is pork tenderloin just about never available in Kensington market? Maxwell & Sons is Jewish - no pork products at all there. I thought this may apply to some of the other places  as well. But European has pork, just not tenderloin. I've bought it at St. Andrews poultry before, but I only see it there rarely. I'm not a regular shopper at the other butchers, so I may be missing an obvious source.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

"Grilling with real charcoal? NOW, you're cooking with gas!"

Cooking Gurus Blog

Coffee Gurus Blog

jayt90, for coffee I usually roast my own. However, when I don't the places that I frequent are Whole Foods, Everyday Gourmet in the basement of the SLM, Coffee Tree in Bloor West Village, or Moonbeam in Kensington Market.

For a Rancillio Rocky burr grinder, try The Green Beanery, 225 Brunswick Avenue (in the Annex). I've never been there but they have a website that I remember seeing the Rocky/Silvia combo that coffee geeks loved a few years back.

As an alternative, I use a Gaggia MDF that has served me well for over 10 years. Purchased from Gaggia on Davenport. Or check out what's available at Faema at Dupont and Christie.

"Grilling with real charcoal? NOW, you're cooking with gas!"

Cooking Gurus Blog

Coffee Gurus Blog

I was asking about key limes upthread somewhere. Saw them last week in the Dominion in Liberty Village, of all places. They also had heirloom tomatoes.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

I get key limes at Longo's and Fortino's all the time. I often find them in the reduced bin. They are still fine for juicing and keeping in the freezer for future use.

curry leaves can be found in several shops on parliament north of carlton, south of wellesley, owned and run by the sri lankans. On the corner of wellesly and parliament there is also a great sri lankan restaurant. try mutton biryani and rotis are the best i've ever had. the texture is a little different than your average roti.

On the corner of wellesly and parliament there is also a great sri lankan restaurant.  try mutton biryani and rotis are the best i've ever had.  the texture is a little different than your average roti.

That's the Rashnaa - a longtime favourite and reasonable prices (actually very cheap).

Anyone know where I can find charcutarie supplies, things like pink salt (curing salt), live culture, casings etc in Southern Ontario?

Hard to come by! I know Fortinos carry casings in the early part of the year and would perhaps order them for you. I have also seen them in Fantasy Fruit Market on Speers occasionally. Pink salt I had to order from the States but I think there is a place in Canada where it can be ordered on-line. Don't know about the live culture.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My local drugstore (Rexall) had sodium nitrate, or saltpeter, when I could not find it in the large chains (Shoppers, Loblaws). A small bottle of powder was $6.00 and should last me for a year or two.

I found casings at Loblaws, preserved in coarse salt, so they will last a long time.

Don't know about culture, but it is probably a topic on the Charcuterie thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Anna, JT and Worldly for the suggestions. Turns out that there is a butcher supply about 3 blocks from my house and it happens to be owned by a woman I went through grade school and high school with. As long as I buy 500 grams of any spices or cures they will sell it to me. Casings come in bundles of 1000 ft. Looks like the starter comes in 25 gram packages. They also sell equipment.

Their website http://www.malabarsuperspice.com/

There is apparently another excellent butchers supply in St Catherines called City Butcher Supply.

Also thanks to a local eG friend I have some pink salt #1 and #2 and I started curing my first pork belly this afternoon, cut in 3 pieces I'll try honey cure, maple cure and a spice blend called California Ham Spice cure.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

• 4 weeks later...

I've been on a hunt for Marachino liqueur for some time now. I've visited various LCBO stores and I've never seen it. Does the LCBO actually stock this stuff?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I've been on a hunt for Marachino liqueur for some time now.  I've visited various LCBO stores and I've never seen it.  Does the LCBO actually stock this stuff?

I don't know if LCBO stocks it, but I've got some that I bought at Qzina, which supplies my chocolate. They will sell to the public (chocolate at least). It is pretty strong stuff because it's made for patisserie.

The LCBO has not stocked it since 2001. They will, however, special order for anyone wanting to purchase a case.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I picked up a bottle from the LCBO accross Sherway Gardens right before Christmas 2004 and another a short distance away at Cloverdale Mall on the same morning.

Gato ming gato miao busca la vida para comer

I  picked up a bottle from the LCBO accross Sherway Gardens right before Christmas 2004 and another a short distance away at Cloverdale Mall on the same morning.

Excellent. I actually have to go to Sherway Gardens likely this weekend, so I'll try that LCBO. thanks!

Marlene

The LCBO has not stocked it since 2001.  They will, however, special order for anyone wanting to purchase a case.

Hmmm. I can't imagine that I need a case of this! Maybe I can get it when I'm in NY next month.

Marlene

I  picked up a bottle from the LCBO accross Sherway Gardens right before Christmas 2004 and another a short distance away at Cloverdale Mall on the same morning.

Excellent. I actually have to go to Sherway Gardens likely this weekend, so I'll try that LCBO. thanks!

Interesting. I contacted the LCBO and they confirmed that they do not have stock anywhere in the province now.

The LCBO has not stocked it since 2001.  They will, however, special order for anyone wanting to purchase a case.

I don't recall the brand, but I picked up a bottle of maraschino liqueur from the LCBO a few years ago...probably 2005 or late 2004. It was in a Vintages release, if I remember correctly the bottle has a red/green/white and is in this kind of woven-straw casing (I haven't opened it to try yet).

Good memory.

It was released on Jan 22 2005 and was:

57448 MARASCHINO EXCELSIOR (Girolamo Luxardo) $ 25.95. It came in cases of 6. The Agent was VANRICK CORPORATION, but I think they're part of Schiralli Agencies.

Any more trivia needed??????

• 3 weeks later...
anyone know where to find Benedictine cheese in downtown toronto??

The Cheese Boutique in the west end or Alex Farms at SLM would be your best bets.

anyone know where to find Benedictine cheese in downtown toronto??

The Cheese Boutique in the west end or Alex Farms at SLM would be your best bets.

I find that Global cheese has a larger selection, and better prices than Alex farms in SLM... :wink:

I haven't had my best experiences at Global, although I know some people rave about it. I'll have to try it again next time I'm in the area and see...... Do you have any fave products at Global you don't see anywhere else?