• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where do you find xxx

Jake

Picked up some smoked salmon at City Fish the other day - lovely! Thanks, Justin!

Also picked up some cider smoked salmon at Dominics in the SLM - awesome, try it.

Diana's had some lovely irish oysters today, truly exceptional.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

does anyone know where i can find boyajian oils in toronto?  i know golda's in mississauga carries some but i'm looking specifically for raspberry and cherry, which golda's doesn't have.

I think I have seen them at Williams Sonoma.

Glad you liked the vodka smoked salmon, Barbra. Unfortunetly I am hardly ever down by SLM...

Where is this Diana's you speak of? I have had oysters once, and did enjoy them. However, I have not the foggiest of how to shuck an oyster, let alone know what to buy.

Glad you liked the vodka smoked salmon, Barbra.  Unfortunetly I am hardly ever down by SLM...

Where is this Diana's you speak of?  I have had oysters once, and did enjoy them.  However, I have not the foggiest of how to shuck an oyster, let alone know what to buy.

It's worth a special trip to try the cider smoked, even if one has to do it on a Saturday morning when it's packed.

Diana's may be even further afield for you, it is in the east end, on Lawrence 1 stoplight east of Warden. It is not convenient for us either, but they have the best oysters in the city that I've found. Their fish is excellent, as is the service. You don't need to know what to buy, they'll be happy to tell you what's best that week, and describe the tastes for you, often they will offer a sample it it's not too busy. I'm addicted to Beausoleil oysters, they usually have them, and the quality is superb. Depending on the week, and delivery schedule, they often have 6 or 8 different varieties. I cannot shuck at all, my other half learned via the web, and talking to a couple of the guys there, and now does an excellent job - and still has all his fingers! If you can't buy/shuck your own, go down to Starfish or Rodney's one evening and try some at the oyster bar....they'll show you how to shuck there too.

I'll bet City Fish would be just as helpful, although they don't seem to have the selection that Diana's does.

I remember the first time trying oysters too...was working at Jov at the time, and a guy came in with samples for the chef and he let me try one...it was nice, tasted like a cold ocean, but still, not sure how many I could eat...

Now on to tomorrow's dinner...I am thinking of doing some seared duck breasts, just cant think up anything fun to go with it...im tired of the typical potatoe galette etc....hmmm

Couscous? Apricot glaze on the duck, raisins, nuts, apricot in the couscous?

Where do you buy your duck?

We have 2 different ones, most recent one (apparently works great) picked up at Diana's, plastic handle, solidly made, really cheap - same ones they use there.

I am not a big fan of couscous...and I dont really want to glaze the duck, I am possibly going to marinade it in a soy/ginger/garlic/wild berry jam/lime juice then sear it, slice it, and put it over something...with SOMETHING...arg!

I get duck breasts at Pusateries...their prices are not terrible, they sell em vacuum packed 2 breasts per pack for about $17

Sunny Meat Market, a chinese poultry place on the east side Spadina @ St. Andrew sells boneless duck breast at $10/lb. Each breast is about 1/2 lb. Obviously these are not from moulard ducks, but still the magrets turn out very tasty.

Salomon

I am not a big fan of couscous...and I dont really want to glaze the duck, I am possibly going to marinade it in a soy/ginger/garlic/wild berry jam/lime juice then sear it, slice it, and put it over something...with SOMETHING...arg!

I get duck breasts at Pusateries...their prices are not terrible, they sell em vacuum packed 2 breasts per pack for about $17

Sunny Meat Market, a chinese poultry place on the east side Spadina @ St. Andrew sells boneless duck breast at $10/lb. Each breast is about 1/2 lb. Obviously these are not from moulard ducks, but still the magrets turn out very tasty.

Although this reply sounds a bit anal at first, please persevere!

Magret of duck comes ONLY from the Moulard duck, which is the one that is used to produce duck foie gras (and in North America is the duck raised in Quebec and Hudson Valley). It is fairly large and almost always available at the Sobey's on St Clair east of Yonge (typically priced at $12-15 per breast). It is particularly 'fatty' and hence flavourful.

Some North American producers have appropriated the 'magret' name for Muscovy duck - the duck used to produce Sonoma Foie Gras. These are a smaller variety, and I'm not sure I've had the duck breast from these (although I haven't bought at Pusateri the price mentioned seems 'low' unless the breast is small).

At most Chinese stores you get the Pekin duck - the duck served at most restaurants (in Toronto at least) and there is a huge difference in flavour and, in my experience, texture. The Pekin version has not been raised on a diet designed to increase the fat content and I believe (haven't been able to fact check) that a Pekin duck breast is lower in fat than a typical chicken.

So my point is not the definition of magret as such, but the implication that a 'correctly named' magret would usually be much more tasty than a 'non-magret' breast.

So all duck breasts are not created equal!

[Edited to correct the original quote which got mangled]

Edited by estufarian (log)

The Pekin version has not been raised on a diet designed to increase the fat content and I believe (haven't been able to fact check) that a Pekin duck breast is lower in fat than a typical chicken.

So my point is not the definition of magret as such, but the implication that a 'correctly named' magret would usually be much more tasty than a 'non-magret' breast.

So all duck breasts are not created equal!

[Edited to correct the original quote which got mangled]

I only disagree with two points: (1) Ontario farmers have always referred to Peking ducks, although Pekin may well be correct;

(2) I have never seen a duck breast from any of the breeds mentioned, or any other breed, that does not have a layer of fat under the skin, thicker than almost any chicken's.

There is a fascinating story in today's Globe about beefconnections.ca

a group of farmers in central SW Ont. seliing their finished beef direct to the public, at 50 lb for $225. or $393 for a quarter. It comes wrapped and delivered, but there are specific details, available on the web site. They will deliver to the Toronto area, and other points, at specified times. The beef is range fed and near organic, almost like an AOC.

• 2 weeks later...

I get them at the Riverdale farmers market, SLM north market, but haven't seen them at any retail outlets in the past.

• 3 weeks later...
What is a NY style bagel?!

I love Open Window Bakery, they have these roundish chocolate buns that I pop in the micro for 15 seconds, mmmm melty gooey chocolatey goodness.

Rustic, chewy, puffy but dense. Nothing that even remotely resembles what passes as a bagel here in Ontario.

Where is Open Window Bakery?

What is a NY style bagel?!

I love Open Window Bakery, they have these roundish chocolate buns that I pop in the micro for 15 seconds, mmmm melty gooey chocolatey goodness.

Rustic, chewy, puffy but dense. Nothing that even remotely resembles what passes as a bagel here in Ontario.

Where is Open Window Bakery?

I haven't been to Open Window recently. They are (or were,) a smallish chain, with a good shop at Chesswood and Finch. Nothing came up after a brief Google.

Bagel World, on the north side of Wilson Av., just west of Bathurst St., has the N.Y. style bagel.

Their unsung secret is a Sri Lankan baker!

You'll want to avoid Gryffe's on the east side of Bathurst near Fairlawn, for their soft chewy Montreal style...

But people line up for them Sunday mornings!

Open window is on bathurst north of lawrence on the east side.

We made it there. I bought a few things, 1 bagel( just so so), a few rhugela and an onion board. I liked everything but the bagel.

We went across the street to What a Bagel and I got 6. Once again just so/so.

I grew up in Florida on NY bagels. I really should just give up on finding those here.

I have a bagel recipe to try my hand at, that is next on my list.

Open window is on bathurst north of lawrence on the east side.

We made it there. I bought a few things, 1 bagel( just so so), a few rhugela and an onion board. I liked everything but the bagel.

We went across the street to What a Bagel and I got 6. Once again just so/so.

Yeah, the bagels were just ordinary. I guess I will just have to go to NY.

OR to Montreal because I love those bagels. I always bring back dozens!!

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up 200 grams of Jamon Serrano from Spain at San Remo bakery, two blocks south of Evans on Royal York today. More expensive but much better than any prosciutto I have tasted hereabout. Something to savour while awaiting the approval of the much vaunted Jamon (Iberico) Jabugo.

Gato ming gato miao busca la vida para comer