• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where do you find xxx

Jake

Gremolata's Ivy Ethier has written a hilarious article about P.E.I. moonshine.

I have heard that illegal hooch is also produced in the Maritimes, and maybe Quebec.

But I know also that there are hidden stills in Ontario.

Southwestern Ontario has been influenced by newcomers from Europe (my grandmother called them "New Canadians") and traditional links to states with moonshine backgrounds.

Some families I have met make very respectable fruit branies, and eau de vie. Many do it because the real thing (such as himbeergeist) is hard to get in small towns, and very expensive.

Since berries are inexpensive and in abundance every summer, it is natural for many people to make their own, just as they did legally in the old country.

And for those of us less inclined, there is always applejack, another occaisional legal product but a common backyard item.

You just have to inquire discretely to find a source...

Indeed, Jay, how true. And don't forget "hard" cider from all those orchards in southern Ontario....mmmm.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

CALI POUTINE,

Go to Metzger Meats in Hensall (about 15 min. from exeter) for flank.  It will most likely be frozen though.  519.262.3130.  Great german butcher though.  Very Unique for the area.

ANYONE IN T.O.

Where can I get fresh european style (higher butterfat content) butter in this city?

Have you tried Alex Farms in SLM? They sell a nice butter from blocks, produced locally, but I never asked them what the bf content might be.

Last time I was at the Cheese Boutique they also had a non-commercial (artisinal?) butter for sale. I think from the Ottawa Valley. Again, it didn't give the fat content, and having bought a block, it doesn't seem to be richer than the normal commercial stuff. (Then again, I haven't done any baking with it) But, it might be worth asking them to see if this butter is higher in fat, or if not, whether they could get any in. Does anybody know if there are any Quebec dairies producing a higher butterfat butter? That's where I'd look.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

I have purchased the Ottawa Valley butter from Cheese Boutique. The staff there told me it was the same fat content as the commercial. I would kill to find higher fat butter. Really.

anyone know where to find harissa?

please and thanks!

I was a pusateris on Avenue road tonight and I found some harissa in a tube :)

Havent tried it yet but it was reasonably priced and pusateris doesnt usually stock stuff they havent tasted so it is probably good for a pre made product.

You can find it with the sauces . . NOT with the spices. It is located by the prepared salads and dishes

anyone know where to find harissa? please and thanks!

I was a pusateris on Avenue road tonight and I found some harissa in a tube :)

Havent tried it yet but it was reasonably priced and pusateris doesnt usually stock stuff they havent tasted so it is probably good for a pre made product.

You can find it with the sauces . . NOT with the spices. It is located by the prepared salads and dishes

I've made it myself before. Can be great stuff. What are you planning on cooking with it?

ANYONE IN T.O.

Where can I get fresh european style (higher butterfat content) butter in this city?

Was in Scheffler's in SLM today. Saw an Italian (I think) butter that claimed "no less than 83% mf" - I'm assuming > 83% bf? Was $6 for about half a pound.

So, first, is this actually higher fat content than the regular ole supermarket stuff?

And, if so, why does it have to come from Europe? Is there some rule or regulation limiting the fat content of butter here?

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

here's another one.

anyone know of anyplace in the downtown core that sells paneer? i've tried alex farms on the danforth...no luck.

little india is a little out of my way, i'd prefer to find something on the way to work (td tower, bay and wellington). kensington? the market? whole foods?

yes, i've made my own, but i need something with a little firmer texture than what i can manage at home (given time/fridge space constraints)

thanks!

Just thought I'd note that for the first time, I saw tomato paste in a tube at Bruno's here in Oakville. THey also had a garlic paste that I haven't seen there before.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

here's another one.

anyone know of anyplace in the downtown core that sells paneer?  i've tried alex farms on the danforth...no luck.

little india is a little out of my way, i'd prefer to find something on the way to work (td tower, bay and wellington).  kensington?  the market?  whole foods?

yes, i've made my own, but i need something with a little firmer texture than what i can manage at home (given time/fridge space constraints)

thanks!

Hmm... If you can't find your paneer, then you might try substituting with some other sort of cheese.

I've used queso freso/queijo fresco in the past and it's been fine. (I don't know if a non-hispanic or non-portuguese shop would call it 'fresh cheese'?) In my neighbourhood, near DundasW & Ossington, queijo fresco must be easy to come by. May be a bit softer, or not, compared to paneer.

If not, then you could also use tofu of course.

Saw an Italian (I think) butter that claimed "no less than 83% mf" - I'm assuming 83% bf?

Can our milkfat-deficient Canadian butter be converted into deluxe European-style beurre in any way? How about by melting it gently, allowing a bit of water content to evaporate, then cool? I dunno, never tried it. Anyone?

Checking google, 'American' butter is supposed to be 80-82% mf and Euro-beurre 82-84%. I heard a long time ago (hope memory serves) that the difference is down to greater water content in ours, and so maybe it's easy enough to fix. But I'm not a baker.

Or could you just make your own by jostling around a jar of heavy cream? We did it on a field trip in grade 4.

Incidentally, I've seen Azores butter sold along Rua Dundas Oeste. It might be what you're looking for. I've never tried it, though.

Edited by KevV (log)

As I am relearning the art of home roasted coffee beans, I could use some help in finding a source of green beans.

So far, I have purchased Costa Rican green at SLM. At $8-9.00/lb it doesn't go far, since there is a lot of shrinkage in the pan.

Someone in the Coffee section gets green beans in the U.S. for $3-4.00/lb.

I would like to find a decent price in the Toronto area, and don't mind a fairly large quantity, maybe 20 lb.

Anyone know of a reasonable source?

jayt90, I just found these 2 recently Birds & Beans and The Grean Beanery . I've used Merchants of Green Coffee but I found them too expensive.

As for larger orders there is someone from Toronto that frequently posts on the Coffeegeek.com forums quite a bit, Andrews Green Beans. His prices are some of the lowest I've seen.

Edited by Manolo (log)

As I am relearning the art of home roasted coffee beans, I could use some help in finding  a source of green beans.

So far, I have purchased Costa Rican green at SLM.  At $8-9.00/lb it doesn't go far, since there is a lot of shrinkage in the pan.

Someone in the Coffee section gets green beans in the U.S. for $3-4.00/lb. 

I would like to find a decent price in the Toronto area, and don't mind a  fairly large quantity, maybe 20 lb. 

Anyone know of  a reasonable source?

Punjab market in Hamilton and second store on Stoney creek carries green beans. Price is reasonable. They sell them in about 1 lb packages, but I'm sure if you talked to the owner (he is in the Stoney Creek store) he would happily sell you larger quantities.

In Waterdown there is a great little coffee shop called the Jitterbug Cafe that roasts their own. I've bought green beans from them before. Variety of beans available. Price a bit higher than Punjab.

How about a good source for smoked duck breast -- at a reasonable price? I have found them at Royal Meats ($7.99 for about 300g), Pusateri's (don't ask - it was an emergency). I would like to get whole breasts, not the sliced vac pac stuff you see in some of the supermarkets.....any thoughts?

How about a good source for smoked duck breast -- at a reasonable price?  I have found them at Royal Meats ($7.99 for about 300g), Pusateri's (don't ask - it was an emergency).  I would like to get whole breasts, not the sliced vac pac stuff you see in some of the supermarkets.....any thoughts?

I saw them this wek at Bruno's. King Cole brand vacuum packed. The 'peppered smoked' were on sale - I think at around $7.99 lb. The 'reguler smoked' were a little more - around $9.99 lb if I recall correctly. These were all unsliced and appeared to be half breasts.

Do you recall the brand (or can you check if passing by)?

I had my Italian butter 'confiscated' by the Health people at the airport last week because of "foot and mouth disease" - and they were unable to provide me with any legislation/rule/regulation to justify this. I am following up and it would be great to have a example (of course if the product you saw was spirited in, then we need to ensure that the sale of Italian butter won't destroy the dairy industry in Canada).

I think the Italian butter at Schefflers is from Beppino Occelli, I've picked some up there before.

I had my Italian butter 'confiscated' by the Health people at the airport last week because of "foot and mouth disease" - and they were unable to provide me with any legislation/rule/regulation to justify this. I am following up and it would be great to have a example (of course if the product you saw was spirited in, then we need to ensure that the sale of Italian butter won't destroy the dairy industry in Canada).

I think the Italian butter at Schefflers is from Beppino Occelli, I've picked some up there before.

I'm not sure if that's it or not - the name sorta rings a bell, but the packaging looks a bit different than what I recall.

Anywho, I'm not in SLM all that often, so anyone?

I'm not surprised your butter got confiscated - I thought there was a blanket prohibition on bringing in most foodstuffs not in a can or bottle. Don't you have to sign or check off something to that effect on the customs clearance form? I wonder if it has any actual regulatory justification or whether it's just policy. Interesting that they couldn't point you to any justification for taking your superior dairy goods.

And, I'll ask again, does anybody know if there's a regulatory reason there is no higher butterfat content butter available in Ont? (And, does anybody know if Quebec, in particular, has any higher butterfat butter manufacturers? BC?)

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

Any one know where I could find some medium sanding sugar in the Toronto area? I need it to roll pate de fruits. I have confectionary sugar but it is far too course, adds a rather unusual crunch, distracts from the texture of the jellies.

I'm not surprised your butter got confiscated - I thought there was a blanket prohibition on bringing in most foodstuffs not in a can or bottle. Don't you have to sign or check off something to that effect on the customs clearance form? I wonder if it has any actual regulatory justification or whether it's just policy. Interesting that they couldn't point you to any justification for taking your superior dairy goods.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

Yes, it was Occelli that was confiscated. Now I have a much better reason to object!

I have no problem with 'potentially harmful' foodstuffs being confiscated/illegal. I have a great problem with arbitrary decisions by people who 'should' be experts who 'may' be making decisions that are not supported by legislation. Under GATT (which Canada is a party to) the only 'legal' impediments are prescribed - an oversimplification is that only tariffs can be applied, not quotas or other methods of restricting entry (I'm excluding harmful products from the discussion). And even if there are 'permissible' restrictions e.g. labelling requirements, these are only applicable for commercial quantities - you can sign a waiver as an individual.

However, Ontario (not a signatory as it is not a 'country') has all sorts of restrictions which 'seem' only to protect the industry from competition - hence we can't get a high fat milk. Neither can Ontario farmers upgrade the quality by using higher quality breed or rearing methods as they must sell the product to the Marketing Board (if they have a quota) where it will be mixed in with all the rest i.e. no 'single cow' butters, creams or milks.

As the Feds have signed International agreements, I want to see the legislation supporting the confiscation of my butter - and they haven't (yet) provided me with anything. In fact they were downright hostile when I asked for something - the officer walked away, didn't return, and the customs officers refused to allow me to leave the customs desk to go to the Agriculture Canada office. I was 'ordered' to stay at the customs desk until an Agriculture Canada officer arrived (which nobody ever did). I was instead given a copy of a 'bulletin' which had a non-applicable date and even that said that quantities under 20 Kg were exempt. I only left after they made a conspicuous show of tying up the garbage bag it was placed in and carted it off to 'be destroyed'.

Please don't get me wrong - we need examination and protection at our borders. What we don't need are trampling of anybody's rights and/or entitlements. (Yes, I'm mad, if you haven't noticed)!

estufarian:

Good for you for doing everything in your power to protect your butter. Seems almost criminal to destroy perfectly good butter, and higher fat at that.

Regarding the Milk Marketing board, I wonder how organic milk gets around that regulation. Perhaps it is from non-quota dairy farmers. That being the case, I would think the same might be do-able for butter. The question would be whether or not consumers would be willing to pay the higher price. Then again, when organic was launched, the fluid milk dairies didn't think that consumers would pay $8.00 for a 4-litre package.

Yeah! Ocelli butter purchased today at Schefflers.

VERY expensive by world standards, but if you break it down to cost/serving then worth the extra to have it just by itself on a warm crusty gread.

$5.99 for 125 gm or $9.99 for 250 gm (about double price I paid in UK (at Waitrose).

Treat yourself. You deserve it.