• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where do you find xxx

Jake

I actually found "sundried tomato paste" in a tube  at Whole Foods today. Of course that's not exactly regular tomato paste in a tube, but hey, it's a start!

I got tomato paste in a tube at SLM. I believe it was downstairs( I could be wrong).

Randi

Yes, I think you can get it there. I can't tell you the last time I was anywhere near SLM though. A fellow eGer was kind enough to bring me some the last time she went there though!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Yes,  I think you can get it there.  I can't tell you the last time I was anywhere near SLM though.  A fellow eGer was kind enough to bring me some the last time she went there though!

Do you need some more? I could pop another tube in the mail....

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Ventured into Toronto today and picked up Kimchi on Parliament St., and green Costa Rican coffee beans at St. L. Market.

Both were suggestions from this board.

There is no fresh roasted coffee in my area (Pickering) but I have picked up some good advice on home roasting from the coffee board, and am ready to go at it on Sat.

The coffee board also educated me in the fine art of grinding, and I found that a simple $50. grinder (say Braun or Cuisinart) would not do. I did not spring for their favoured 'Rocky' at $300. plus, but I am really happy with the $150. KitchenAid. Doesn't take much, does it!

What are you roasting with? I loved roasting my own coffee but had give it up when I moved. We don't have room where I can vent out the smoke/smell from the roast. Nothing beats roasting your own.

I have a favourite dish for company called shrimp and cheese stuffed poblano peppers in red pepper sauce .It is a party stunner but Ihave to drive sowntown from markham to pick up poblano peppers to kensington market ( the mexcian crema at the store there one block in and parallel to spadina is to die for ) Is there a latino shop in the north end of the city where I can buy poblanos?

here is the recipe in case anyone is interested . . simple tasty and present really well

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/107461

jerry

Jerry - I don't know of a specific store, but I think there are quite a few 'Latin American' shops up Dufferin, in the Lawence to Wilson zone, or even extending out from there. Maybe someone else will know of one specifically? Mucha suerte

Coffee: we became addicted to cuban coffe while visiting there and now buy a dozen vacuum packed packages at a crack of seranno brand coffee from a whoelsaler a queen st. near broadview Called Havana House. Actually it is on the street just off the queen /don bridge as you enter to travel north on the DVP

I am convinced it is one of the premier coffees in the world.

Jerry

What are you roasting with? I loved roasting my own coffee but had give it up when I moved. We don't have room where I can vent out the smoke/smell from the roast. Nothing beats roasting your own.

I'll be roasting it tomorrow night on my backyard patio, weather permitting. I am going to heat up a wok to smoking level, over a propane fired patio burner. Then 1/2 lb of the Costa Rican beans will go in, covered but with a stir paddle, until they are done, when popping is imminent.

There will be some smoke, but I'm hoping the neighbours won't complain. They have never objected to my slow-smoking meat or fish.

If this works, I'll adapt it to wok-over-charcoal next spring.

Please report back on how it goes. I never tried roasting wok style. I have always used modified popcorn poppers that I picked up at various Goodwills.

Just finished. Looks too dark with an espresso smell. Meaning I left it in too long.

I found that covering and leaving it alone in the wok was no good, and I had to stir constantly with a large spoon. I think I left it too long, based on poor lighting, and the fact that it continues to roast when removed from the fire. I'll see how it brews tomorrow AM.

I was wondering where one could purchase diastatic malt powder? Most health food stores I notice only carry regular malt syrup.

Hmmm. Home brew shops (for beer) might have that - but I think most have them have left us, and the places that still cater to that just deal in kits - which are syrup based. Might be worth calling around.

If you'd be interested in mail order, Paddock Wood in Saskatoon (I think) might be worth checking out. I'm pretty sure they have a website.

Cheers,

Geoff ruby

• 2 weeks later...
anyone know where to find harissa?

please and thanks!

Uhh! What is it?

a spice mixture used as both a condiment and a seasoning. Harissa contains chiles which are ground with cumin, garlic, coriander, and olive oil. It becomes a thick paste that is used as is in cooking or diluted with oil or stock to be used as a condiment.

Harissa? Not at all hard to make and you can just keep any extra on hand in your fridge, as with any other spice paste mixture. Have a go!

...Come to think of it, that Gremolata fellow had an article on the site recently. (Hi Malcolm!)

Edited by KevV (log)

Arz or Nasr Foods on Lawrence east (just west of Warden) or any other Middle Eastern shop. Downstairs at the St. Lawrence market.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I actually found "sundried tomato paste" in a tube  at Whole Foods today. Of course that's not exactly regular tomato paste in a tube, but hey, it's a start!

I got tomato paste in a tube at SLM. I believe it was downstairs( I could be wrong).

Randi

I got tomato paste in a tube at Cheese Boutique. (45 Ripley St.)

http://www.cheeseboutique.com/

Right on the counter above the - you guessed it - cheese. :biggrin:

CALI POUTINE,

Go to Metzger Meats in Hensall (about 15 min. from exeter) for flank. It will most likely be frozen though. 519.262.3130. Great german butcher though. Very Unique for the area.

ANYONE IN T.O.

Where can I get fresh european style (higher butterfat content) butter in this city?

CALI POUTINE,

Go to Metzger Meats in Hensall (about 15 min. from exeter) for flank.  It will most likely be frozen though.  519.262.3130.  Great german butcher though.  Very Unique for the area.

ANYONE IN T.O.

Where can I get fresh european style (higher butterfat content) butter in this city?

Have you tried Alex Farms in SLM? They sell a nice butter from blocks, produced locally, but I never asked them what the bf content might be.