• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where do you find xxx

Jake

I was in Costco yesterday and found 2 Staub Cocottes (2.5L) and (5.9L) on sale for $139.99 for the pair and Martha Stewart's Hors D'Oeuvres Handbook for $26.99.  For anyone in the GTA these seem like good buys.

I was there today and I thought they were a little overloaded on Martha, but I bought the Staub set. Can't wait to try one of them with a chicken braise and a pastry seal around the lid. They also have Bridel Camembert for $16/kg., and some large Austrian crystal wine glasses that look like certain Riedels, for about $3.50 each.

...jay

Does anyone know where to get frozen pearl onions. I have seen them mentioned in some recipes but have never seen them here. Maybe just a US thing? They would have been welcome last night after peeling a bag of them for stew.

I was in Costco yesterday and found 2 Staub Cocottes (2.5L) and (5.9L) on sale for $139.99 for the pair and Martha Stewart's Hors D'Oeuvres Handbook for $26.99.  For anyone in the GTA these seem like good buys.

I was there today and I thought they were a little overloaded on Martha, but I bought the Staub set. Can't wait to try one of them with a chicken braise and a pastry seal around the lid. They also have Bridel Camembert for $16/kg., and some large Austrian crystal wine glasses that look like certain Riedels, for about $3.50 each.

...jay

I AM SO JEALOUS! My daughter bought them as a Christmas gift for another family member right in front of me! But I could never justify them given that I already have two LeCreuset Dutch ovens. :angry:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Does anyone know where to get frozen pearl onions. I have seen them mentioned in some recipes but have never seen them here. Maybe just a US thing? They would have been welcome last night after peeling a bag of them for stew.

I have searched and searched for these with no success so I will be watching to see if anyone else has found them in the GTA.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I have searched and searched for these with no success so I will be watching to see if anyone else has found them in the GTA.

I've never seen frozen ones... And I wasn't sure if I caught what you were saying, Madge, but are the frozen ones pre-peeled and therefore more convenient? Me, I don't mind the peeling too much.

If it helps, I bought some fresh ones a few weeks back - from a Dominion I think.

(Alternate suggestion: buy some fresh ones, then peel them - if that's what they first do with the frozen ones - then stick them in the freezer. Voila! :wacko: )

I was at Price Club yesterday, and saw the aformentioned pots, can someone enlighten me...whats the big deal with these? Besides the fact that they weigh a ton....

Thanks

This is probably not the thread to discuss the merits of Staub cookware so briefly... It is enamelled cast iron and highly regarded as perfect for slow cooking such as braises and stews. There are a number of threads on similar products such as LeCreuset so you might try a search on that and find a full discussion of the merits of enamelled cast iron. Hope this helps.

My 2004 eG Blog

I was at Price Club yesterday, and saw the aformentioned pots, can someone enlighten me...whats the big deal with these? Besides the fact that they weigh a ton....

Aren't they similar in quality and, normally, in price to Le Creuset?

... And, yes, the 2 Staubs for $140 sounds like a great deal.

I've never seen frozen ones... And I wasn't sure if I caught what you were saying, Madge, but are the frozen ones pre-peeled and therefore more convenient? Me, I don't mind the peeling too much.

If it helps, I bought some fresh ones a few weeks back - from a Dominion I think.

(Alternate suggestion: buy some fresh ones, then peel them - if that's what they first do with the frozen ones - then stick them in the freezer. Voila! :wacko: )

Are the ones in the jars in pickling solution already peeled? Perhaps you could use those?

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

I just picked up the Toronto Life Food & Wine Guide for 2005. (I think, but am not positive, that it comes with the December '05 edition of the magazine). Many suggestions on where to find x, y or z in TO.

For example, it notes that Hyuan Dai Food at Parliament & Gerrard carries radish and cabbage kimchees. So, there's a source of kimchee to the east of downtown (well, not really I guess, but east of Yonge. Does that count?).

I've sort of flipped through the Guide and it looks pretty useful.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

I just picked up the Toronto Life Food & Wine Guide for 2005. (I think, but am not positive, that it comes with the December '05 edition of the magazine). Many suggestions on where to find x, y or z in TO.

For example, it notes that Hyuan Dai Food at Parliament & Gerrard carries radish and cabbage kimchees. So, there's a source of kimchee to the east of downtown (well, not really I guess, but east of Yonge. Does that count?).

I've sort of flipped through the Guide and it looks pretty useful.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

Thanks! I must look for a copy.

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks

I don't know exactly where you were yesterday, but it couldn't have been a Price Club, as they succumbed to Costco 10 years ago. :blink: But you're in good company: Shelagh Rogers makes the same mistake on CBC-1 :rolleyes:

The Staub features an indented lid, to force steam droplets back down on the food, evenly.

There are Chinese knock-offs of LC at much lower prices, at the Bay and elsewhere and the ones I have (La Campagne) are pretty good. But I would expect to pay more for the French product, and there is a certain mystique about them.

Thanks for the suggestions on the pearl onions. I guess I am going to have to stick with fresh and peeling them. An interesting suggestion re the pickled ones. I wonder what it would do to the flavour of stews etc. Probably just add a "mystery" taste.

Thanks for the suggestions on the pearl onions. I guess I am going to have to stick with fresh and peeling them. An interesting suggestion re the pickled ones. I wonder what it would do to the flavour of stews etc. Probably just add a "mystery" taste.

They may peel more easily if thay are blanched for a few seconds, then rolled under hand pressure over a board.

They may peel more easily if thay are blanched for a few seconds, then rolled under hand pressure over a board.

Also (though I haven't tried...) I think if you snip the tops off the p.onions, then boil them for 2 or 3 mins rather than a few seconds, once cooled you should be able to squeeze the outer skin so the interior just pops out.

Thanks

I don't know exactly where you were yesterday, but it couldn't have been a Price Club, as they succumbed to Costco 10 years ago. :blink: But you're in good company: Shelagh Rogers makes the same mistake on CBC-1 :rolleyes:

The Staub features an indented lid, to force steam droplets back down on the food, evenly.

There are Chinese knock-offs of LC at much lower prices, at the Bay and elsewhere and the ones I have (La Campagne) are pretty good. But I would expect to pay more for the French product, and there is a certain mystique about them.

I still call them Price Club's to this day, partially out of habit as well as I like that name a lot better than Costco :raz:

Where can I find edible gold flakes/leaves for baking/decorating?

Thanks in advance.  :biggrin:

I've ordered these from Golda's Kitchen most often. They are in Mississauga and delivery is usually next day.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I could swear I saw these at Brunos. I have to go there tomorrow so I'll check it out while I'm there.

Marlene

Thanks

I still call them Price Club's to this day, partially out of habit as well as I like that name a lot better than Costco :raz:

I do too. We bought a dining tent from Costco to use with our RV, and someone asked me where I got it. Price Club popped out of my mouth before I could even stop to think about it. No wonder the guy looked at me strangely. I'm just resistant to name changes. It took forever for me to stop calling our local Sobeys IGA, after Sobeys took it over.

Marlene

Maybe this is OT as Im not looking for something in Toronto, but I am looking in Southwestern Ontario.

I cant find flank steak or Skirt steak. The butcher said he doesnt do those cuts around these parts. Why not I wonder?

Its not even for me as I dont eat meat, its for clients. HELP!!

Since learning to make my own pita bread (FoodMan's recipe in RecipeGullet) and finding it so much better than anything I can buy, I have a hankering to try making my own flour tortillas. Anyone seen a cast iron tortilla press in Toronto? Preferably not at Williams-Sonoma prices. :biggrin:

My 2004 eG Blog

This one at Golda's is cast aluminum not cast iron.  But it might serve your needs.

Thanks, Marlene. After doing a bit of research I shied away from the cast aluminum ones. Not that I know anything for sure! If no source of cast iron comes up in the GTA then I will certainly be making a visit to Golda's. Many thanks.

My 2004 eG Blog