• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where do you find xxx

Jake

Back when I worked at Jov the second man down under Owen was this awesome guy from Sri Lanka named 'Arool' (excuse me if i butchered the spelling) - - he would always joke and ask if we wanted "Soopara" for staff meal, apparently it meant something completely different in sri lankan :raz:

Edited by sadistick (log)

Just wanted to know where to get quinces here in TO?

I've been looking for awhile, haven't seen any either...

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I've seen them recently. Not sure if it was in Kensington, SLM, or both. Pretty sure the place on the corner of Augusta and Baldwin had them though. Would've been within the last week. Might've been the place on the north corner of ST. Andrews and Kensington. Ok, I'm obviously not entirely sure. Might go tomorrow. Will try and remember to look for quinces.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

I bought some quinces recently at the Valumart in the Manulife centre (Bay and Bloor)

Valuemart ?!? You're kidding. Great, thanks.

And thanks for that Geoff, I was in Kensington at the weekend, but it was a quick trip.

Is there a specific spice you cannot locate?

Vietnamese cinnamon.

Oooh, that's a good one. Not a spice I've ever used, what is the difference between it and "regular" cinnamon?

I'll ask one of the girls I speak to next week when I go for Vietnamese food, perhaps she can help.

I saw a brand new supply of Saigon Cinnamon at Costco (Ajax) yesterday. I know they didn't have it last week. It is packed by Club House (McComicks, London Ont.), and the label says it is hotter and spicier than other cinnamon, and comes from 15 year old barks.

They claim it is the world's best, immodestly!) It is $4.49 for a fairly large 200g jar, and it is ground.

Now all we need is a source for VietNamese cinnamon in bark form; the seach never ends...

I've seen them recently. Not sure if it was in Kensington, SLM, or both. Pretty sure the place on the corner of Augusta and Baldwin had them though. Would've been within the last week. Might've been the place on the north corner of ST. Andrews and Kensington. Ok, I'm obviously not entirely sure. Might go tomorrow. Will try and remember to look for quinces.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

They had them at the fruit stand next to the bahn mi place on Spadina.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

I picked up a few from the corner store at Kensington Market. Some of them weren't in too good shape though. Thanks guys!

FYI, for anyone making an authentic southern pecan pie in the near future, you can purchase Steen's Cane Syrup at Cajun Corner on Queen St E just east of Logan.

You can also pick up Karo syrup, frozen crawfish, file powder, grits and a bunch of other great stuff!

I saw a brand new supply of Saigon Cinnamon  at Costco (Ajax) yesterday. I know they didn't have it last week.  It is packed by Club House (McComicks, London Ont.), and the label says it is hotter and spicier than other cinnamon, and comes from 15 year old barks.

They claim it is the world's best, immodestly!)  It is $4.49 for a fairly large 200g jar, and it is ground.

Now all we need is a source for VietNamese cinnamon in bark form; the seach never ends...

Thanks for the lead. I'll check my local Costco.

Anybody happen to know where to get real coconut extract, instead of the artificial?

Ok, here's another one. Shrimp cocktail dishes. The kind you use for serving this as an appetizer and one I guess that holds crushed ice and has a place in the middle for the cocktail sauce.

Now where can I find these in Toronto, GTA area?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Not sure if it was in Kensington, SLM, or both. Pretty sure the place on the corner of Augusta and Baldwin had them though.

I picked up a few from the corner store at Kensington Market. Some of them weren't in too good shape though. Thanks guys!

Sunwah, I think it is, SE corner of Augusta and Baldwin, has quinces at the moment.

If I pick a few up, what do I do with them?

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

Ok, here's another one.  Shrimp cocktail dishes.  The kind you use for serving this as an appetizer and one I guess that holds crushed ice and has a place in the middle for the cocktail sauce.

Now where can I find these in Toronto, GTA area?

I'm going to suggest an antique shop or secondhand shop (one of the nicer ones) for these. I've never seen them in a china/crystal/kitchenware shop that I can recall. I have a set of my mothers that I've never even used! The few times I've served shrimp cocktail I use chilled silver bowls. If you can find the dishes, what about stainless martini glasses? Neat presentation, the glasses will hold a chill very nicely and you can use them more often when you want to keep your martini chilled in the warm weather.

Alright, Jake, hand over your mother's dishes. I mean, if you've never used them.......

Seriously, a stainless steel martini glass sounds like it might be a very neat idea!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Not sure if it was in Kensington, SLM, or both. Pretty sure the place on the corner of Augusta and Baldwin had them though.

Sunwah, I think it is, SE corner of Augusta and Baldwin, has quinces at the moment.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

The place downstairs at SLM has them ( it also has dried morels - which I think were mentioned above, and sorrel, which I would have added to this list if I'd remembered. They also have sunchokes at the moment). I picked up a couple today. So, what can I do with them?

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

The place downstairs at SLM has them ( it also has dried morels - which I think were mentioned above, and sorrel, which I would have added to this list if I'd remembered. They also have sunchokes at the moment). I picked up a couple today. So, what can I do with them?

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

The stand that sells apple cider at SLM Farmer's Market is selling locally grown quinces at the moment. Cheaper than the ones I've seen so far in Chinatown & Kensington too. I was thinking of poaching them using a recipe from Chez Panisse fruit and canning some of them for later use.

We were in Kensington today and I found so many things I cant get in my small town. Corn Tortialls, Dulce de leche, etc, etc.

I did see that House of Spice had Ancho Chili powder. I think Marlene was looking for that at one time.

It was pricey, 3 and change for 50 grams.

I was in Costco yesterday and found 2 Staub Cocottes (2.5L) and (5.9L) on sale for $139.99 for the pair and Martha Stewart's Hors D'Oeuvres Handbook for $26.99. For anyone in the GTA these seem like good buys.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog