• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where do you find xxx

Jake

My local Indian and Middle Eastern stores seem to always have dried limes, but I am in Mississauga.

For offal and the underused parts of the cow, you need a small independent butcher!!! My guy in Orillia has heart and tripe and tongue and oxtail etc. and will get me any cut I ask for if I give him a little warning. He also tells me when he gets skin on pork shoulder because he knows I like it. See if you can find a small shop in your area and get to be a regular. Works wonders. At the ALM, I like Browns and Whitehouse Meats

I found marinated white anchovies (alici) at Schefflers in the SLM today if anyone is interested.

Dianne.

Edited by Dianne (log)

Jay, there is a little Korean/Asian supermarket on the north side of Lawrence, between Victoria Park and Pharmacy that has numerous varieties of kimchee made in house, or so I understood. There is a language barrier so I just bought a few kinds and experimented awhile ago. Yummy.

I'll get back to you on some of the other stuff, including coffee, I'm late getting ready for a dinner party and my SO is glaring at me!!

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Just to add to my question above - where can you get beef cheeks in TO?

And, a small oddity - why is pork tenderloin just about never available in Kensington market? Maxwell & Sons is Jewish - no pork products at all there. I thought this may apply to some of the other places as well. But European has pork, just not tenderloin. I've bought it at St. Andrews poultry before, but I only see it there rarely. I'm not a regular shopper at the other butchers, so I may be missing an obvious source.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

I went to nasr but didn't see jake's note in time to go to the Korean place for kimchi. Had to hurry home with my prize halibut!

D, Food basics is promoting pork shoulder in cryovac. I think the skin would be intact, but I havenjt seen it.

G., nasr has dried limes.

I also found my bulgarian sheep's feta there.

Jeez, I wish I could re-work this piece and get the errors out, but this handheld thing is too new!

Jay, hope you enjoy the halibut. I picked some up there last week and it was fantastic.

gallery_13912_1998_246905.jpg

'Kay, really gotta run now before I'm in deep doo-doo...

Jay, ignore my advice about the Korean supermarket on Lawrence....it is now closed. I'll get back to you if find out somewhere else for fresh kimchee. Perhaps someone else will have some good ideas too.

3. Coffee beans, roasted to order, east of Yonge St.

5.A burr coffee grinder  called 'Rocky' by the afficianados in the coffee section.

For roasted Coffee, I think that Dark City does the best job in the city. You can order by blend or variatel and degree of roast. The prices are fantastic and they include delivery to your front door!

As for the Rancillio Rocky, its a tough find in T.O. The only place I've seen that carries it locally is here. A friend of mine ordered one and is very happy.

A few people have been discussing where to get fresh kimchi...

Certainly not hard to come by. Someone mentioned the big Korean supermarket - sth side of Bloor in the Korean area. However, the various other grocers around there will sell it too. I haven't really ever looked for it anywhere else as it's the obvious place to go.

If you look at the type made from Chinese cabbage, some have labels - ie. a 'brand' - and others don't. I don't have particular recommendations which to buy and would just say choose what looks good to you - fresher looking if you like that taste, or 'less fresh' for a more fermented taste. I think most are made around Toronto, and some imported from Korea. Or ask the shopkeeper for a suggestion. (Can't see how there could be a language barrier with this, as I think someone mentioned; pretty easy question to get across.)

Or just make a batch yourself! Koreans would scoff at me, but I don't think it's that hard, if you know how it should taste. I suppose you could freeze some, and also give some away.

Makes an ideal stocking-stuffer, I would say.

A few people have been discussing where to get fresh kimchi...

Certainly not hard to come by.  Someone mentioned the big Korean supermarket - sth side of Bloor in the Korean area.  However, the various other grocers around there will sell it too.  I haven't really ever looked for it anywhere else as it's the obvious place to go.

If you look at the type made from Chinese cabbage, some have labels - ie. a 'brand' - and others don't.  I don't have particular recommendations which to buy and would just say choose what looks good to you - fresher looking if you like that taste, or 'less fresh' for a more fermented taste.  I think most are made around Toronto, and some imported from Korea.  Or ask the shopkeeper for a suggestion.  (Can't see how there could be a language barrier with this, as I think someone mentioned; pretty easy question to get across.)

I agree, it is not hard to come by in the Korean area off Bloor. I was trying to come up with some places East of Yonge as requested by Jay.

There was indeed a language barrier, difficult as it may be for you to believe. The shopkeeper in question did not understand English at all and my Korean is non-existant. Just one of the things I love about Toronto, sometimes the only way is to try something out for yourself! :biggrin:

I've hardly ever been up there, but I know that Finch&Yonge has a concentration of Korean things. It's not quite East Toronto, but it might also be convenient.

As for communicating with a non-English speaking Korean shopkeeper, try some gestures to show you want a recommendation and mutter: 'mak-sang?' It can mean 'best' or 'highest quality'.

(Sorry, my Korean is also extremely limited. But if you would also like to know how to say hello, order a beer, or say 'I love you' I can still help.)

I've hardly ever been up there, but I know that Finch&Yonge has a concentration of Korean things.  It's not quite East Toronto, but it might also be convenient.

As for communicating with a non-English speaking Korean shopkeeper, try some gestures to show you want a recommendation and mutter: 'mak-sang?'  It can mean 'best' or 'highest quality'. 

(Sorry, my Korean is also extremely limited.  But if you would also like to know how to say hello, order a beer, or say 'I love you' I can still help.)

Oh, good call, I didn't think of Finch & Yonge area. That likely would be more convenient for someone coming in on the 401 from the East.

Well, you have more Korean than I. I'm not sure ordering a beer and/or telling the shopkeep that I love them would help, but I'll know where to turn for instruction should I decide to go that route. :laugh::laugh:

I'll remember mak-sang. Thanks.

I asked for bonito flakes in a P.A.T. market, and the stocker showed me cans of tuna!

But they did have the flakes.

Jake, the halibut from Diana's was superb, just as your photo shows. Mine was poached and served with mornay, but I'll try something different if they still have a good supply later this week. The proprietor seems very friendly and helpful. He told me that there is little demand for Pompano, too bad, but his mother used to cook it. Now that's a fishmonger!

I have purchased beef cheek from Grace Street Meat - I called ahead, and I think it took them about a week of lead time.

Simon

Just to add to my question above - where can you get beef cheeks in TO?

And, a small oddity - why is pork tenderloin just about never available in Kensington market? Maxwell & Sons is Jewish - no pork products at all there. I thought this may apply to some of the other places  as well. But European has pork, just not tenderloin. I've bought it at St. Andrews poultry before, but I only see it there rarely. I'm not a regular shopper at the other butchers, so I may be missing an obvious source.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

How about key limes and Meyer lemons?

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

You can get these at Whole Foods.

How often are meyer lemons stocked at Whole Foods? I don't shop there very often and the times I went I didn't see them around. Have really been wanting to try some! :raz: Key limes I've also seen at the Dominions on Bloor & Spadina as well as one of the Mexican grocers in Kensington market.

In the West end, you can get Meyer lemons at The Cheese Boutique, but I don't think the season has started yet. They didn't have any when I was there last week.

Dominion/A&P stock key limes. I can even get them during the summer at the A&P in Orillia.

Anybody know where to find fresh mozzarella, the kind that's made that morning and you eat it for lunch so it's never been refrigerated?

Or New York City style black pepper biscuits, like a hard biscotti with pepper? Some bakeries use lard.

Vesuvio bakery in Manhattan made the ultimate biscuit.

Does anyone know of a Toronto (or any Canadian) source for varieties of spices, similar to the American Penzeys?

Penzeys might stock 3 or 4 different types of cinnamon etc.

Excellent question. I don't know the answer unfortunately as I buy a lot of my spices while travelling, or while friends/family are travelling. I'm not sure of a one stop in Toronto. I tend to buy middle easter spices at the middle eastern store, mexican oregano etc. in Kensington and so on.

Is there a specific spice you cannot locate?

Dianne, last week Food Basics was selling pork shoulders (maple Leaf) in cryovac, with skin , for $1./lb.

I bought a 10 lber for brining and smoking.

The latest batch of flyers says that NoThrills has cryovac wrapped pork shoulder for even less, $.87/lb., starting Sunday. They do not have rain checks, and tend to undersupply features, so go early!

Dianne, last week Food Basics was selling pork shoulders (maple Leaf) in cryovac, with skin , for $1./lb.

I bought a 10 lber for brining and smoking.

The latest batch of flyers says that NoThrills has cryovac wrapped pork shoulder for even less, $.87/lb., starting Sunday. They do not have rain checks, and tend to undersupply features, so go early!

I bought one of these shoulders, cooked it in the oven at 350 for about 4 hours and it was the most delicious pork I have had in years. $8 for 8lbs of tasty pork! Can't be beat. Today I used some leftover roast pork to make my own version of potstickers and they too, were yummy.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog