• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYC Chocolate Show

Bond Girl

Uh oh. I just tried to get tix online through Ticketmaster for tomorrow and couldn't. Does anyone know whether that just means it's too close to 'curtain,' or could they possibly be sold out? They're showing tickets for Friday, but that won't work for me.

Susan

lapatisserie, thank you for the info. It's too late for this year, but I will be prepared for next year. I wonder how many EGulleters will be at the show! I leave Montreal tomorrow for the drive up to NYC. I am SOOO excited!  :raz:

I'm glad you can make it up.

I want this thread to be of practical use to anyone who's going, so please tell us what you are most excited about.

Michael aka "Pan"

i hope im not guilty of asking a "stupid" question, but is it $25 per day...no option of a multi-day pass? those that have been...is this worth travelling for? (i.e. impromptu trip out from detroit) also, is it so crowded to the point of ridiculousness on saturday that opting out of work middayfriday is advisable? if the culinary demos are open to the general public, is it difficult to really get a view of what's going on or to interact w/ the chefs? thanks everyone!

Uh oh. I just tried to get tix online through Ticketmaster for tomorrow and couldn't. Does anyone know whether that just means it's too close to 'curtain,' or could they possibly be sold out? They're showing tickets for Friday, but that won't work for me.

Susan

I think you can buy tickets at the door. My friends went yesterday with a whole bunch of people and they all bought tickets at the door.

Ice Cream Party, the demos are great. Go oon sunday for the best of the best. You will be able to get some pretty good interactions if you go early.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

How did your demo go Will? What did you demo? Anyone elses demo catch your eye..if so what was it?

And............any chance I can talk you into sharing your demo with us in the P & B Forum?

Yes!!!

And... "yesssssssssssssssss"!

2317/5000

ill second that request. in fact, i was so sad because i missed sunday's activities due to prior engagements, but had really wanted to see sam mason akwa speak. i heard sam mason was really goofy in his presentation.

did anyone venture to the IHMRS at javitts? they had a series of talks under the banner of "restaurant futurists", which ended up being very illuminating. i think i may have spotted a few eGulleters, but none would have known me so i kept my distance :)...there were some really great lectures, including panelists such as harold mcgee, wylie dufresne, david arnold, lidia bastianich, dan barber, and others.

How did your demo go Will? What did you demo? Anyone elses demo catch your eye..if so what was it?

And............any chance I can talk you into sharing your demo with us in the P & B Forum?

would be happy to

let me know how to coordinate with eg

i made a pancakes of praline spuma by freezing room temperature mousse on the antigriddle, flipping, etc

the pancakes were crispy on the outside from frozen

and creamy/airy on the inside from the spuma

i will look forward to a faster freezing machine

the grant achatz inspired design is very practical.

i spoke to the owner of polyscience to see whether he could develop something that freezes faster, and he said he is already working on it

would be great to refine the machine for speed,

otherwise its a bit of a challenge in the restaurant environment

ive posted some photos from the show [see link below in my sign.]...sadly not great ones and not many due to the fact that my fingers were too sticky with chocolate and i was constantly being swayed by the hordes of people to really bother with my camera. sorry akwa, no photos of the bikini.

OK, here are some pictures from the Chocolate Show that I've been meaning to post. Now that my camera problems are solved, here they are.

This was a demo by Stef Aerts making a piece montee that was done at the Belcolade kiosk. I stopped by every once in a while in order to get an updated picture.

1x.jpg

The chef said that he was having some issues with the temperature in the room, which was making things more challenging.

2.jpg

3.jpg

Ah... it's coming together.

4.jpg

I asked the chef to pose with his creation for me, and then I explained to Chef Aerts how to come to EGullet and find these pics when he got back home to Belgium. Sorry for the delay Chef!! :rolleyes:

5x.jpg

Here are 2 other beautiful piece montées that were already done.

6.jpg

7.jpg

Great work Chef!! :wub: Thanks for the demo, and taking the time to answer my questions!!

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

• 11 months later...

*bump*

It's that time of year again! Not this weekend but next, November 10-12, the Chocolate Show is back in town. I'll be going again, definitely.

Last year it took me a few hours to wander around, taste all the samples, and check out one of the demos. Afterwards we were so burned out that my partner read our separate books instead of chatting, and I couldn't eat chocolate for a week. It was worth it.