• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Micro-Distilleries?

emhahn

Aside from the one (St. George Spirits) mentioned in the linked article, the distilleries I know of in CA are:

Anchor Brewing (Gin, Whiskey)

Jepson Wine (Brandy)

Germain Robin (Brandy, Grappa)

Number 209 (Gin)

Hangar One (Vodkas)

Sarticious (Gin)

Domaine Charbay (Vodka, Whiskey)

added link to St. George

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

McMenamins, the Northwest microbrew empire, runs a distillery near Portland, Oregon, that makes whiskey, two types of brandy, a pear eau-de-vie, a Genever-style gin and a coffee liqueur. I've tried none of them, since you can only buy bottles at two places around Portland, and I haven't been to one of their pubs in ages.

Rogue, another Oregon-based microbrewery, operates a distillery near Seattle that makes a white rum. I picked up a bottle a few months ago and, while it's not worth the $26 price, it's a fairly decent rum, with a depth and body similar to white Jamaican rums like Appleton or Myers Platinum.

Paul Clarke

Seattle

The Cocktail Chronicles

• 2 weeks later...

I recently found out about a distillery in Graton/Petaluma (Sonoma) called Stillwater Spirits. I guess the proprietor's name is Donald Payne. My impression from the gentleman I was talking to was they had some relationship to the now defunct Gan Eden winery.

I know they make a grappa.

Beyond that, I am still trying to track down more information, as I am hoping they might be a reasonable, local source for Eau de Vie and/or grappa.

-Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I was just intorduced to Old Potrero Rye (By Anchor) at Pegu Club in New York. Both are good (the bartender let me sample both the 18th Century Style and 100% Rye Whiskey) but the 18th Century Style is out-of-this-world. (Which promptly was mixed into a fantastic "Little Italy"--a creation of Audrey Sanders that adds Cynar to a Manhattan. Wow.)

Dogfish Head's honey rum is interesting (softer and sweeter than most gold rums).

Clear Creek Distillery makes an excellent kirsch and dry poire williams.