• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Menu Expansiveness

Chris Amirault

On the other end of the spectrum, there is a restaurant where i live that sells russian  dumplings, the menu is ..

"meat"  - $5

"potato" - $5

served with bread, seasoning salt, hot sauce and sour cream, perfect after-bar food

The pirogie place! Except no one in Bellingham knows that they are pierogies, everyone just calls it the Dumpling store! That place does rule.

As to meatloaf in a restaurant, I have long ago memories of what was surely the world's most superb version of this dish, served daily at Morris' Diner (known to his regulars as "Cheap Morris") on Bruckner Boulevard in the borough of the Bronx in New York City.

As to truly long menus, the only one I ever found of interest was that at the now defunct Airport Diner in Newark, New Jersey. 115 different sandwiches, 25 different pies, some 80 different salads and 20 different soups listed daily.

Best deal there was a platter on which a generous scoop each of excellent egg salad, chicken salad, potato salad, all served with Levy's Jewish Rye Bread.

Were there ever really "good old days" or do our palates and our childhood memories play tricks on us?

Damn it... There's a local greasy spoon that has a HUGE (and hilarious) menu that I wanted to post, but they've taken it off of their site.  Damn.  Their most popular breakfast item is "The Dump Breakfast".  It's four pages and the type is microscopic.  Each item has a little blurb about it written by Mike.     

I wish I could get my hands on the damn thing... it's so perfect when you see the outside...

xwing.jpg

Yeah, that's a model X-Wing Fighter. 

But wait, there's more...

castle2.jpg

Yeah, that's a bus.  They have booths in it.  Yeah, that's a castle.  They have a banquet hall in there.  I had my rehearsal dinner in there.  It was quite... um... regal.  Yeah, regal.

Wow! I had totally forgotten about the X-Wing... I graduated form Kent State back in 99. Crazy, that place is still there... and expanding!

As for the menu items, at least in south america, the opposite is true. More reataurants are making shorter menus. I think people get tired of having too many choices. Las time I was at the Cheescake Factory it took me about half an hour to pick an appetizer. Good thing, too, as our waiter took about that long with the drink orders :raz:

I think, though, thjat some places gat get by with larger menus. In fact, maybe it's the only way they'll get by. I just can't imagine myself ever wanting to wirk in one of those kitchens. Can you imagine service, when you're in charge of 15 dishes? no way!

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

Sorry Melissa... two years is a long time to go without thinking about Mike's Place.  I too lived within riding distance of Mike's place... actually, two apartments in either direction!  Now it's just a short car ride away.  Sigh. 

You're forgiven. But should you ever find yourself in CNY, bring me a side of their hash browns!

I just wish I could get a menu to post.  It really is the perfect menu for this thread.

As for the dump breakfast, I can't remember everything that's in it, but I know that involves homefries, various breakfast meats, eggs, and hot pepper rings.  Ugh.  I have heartburn just thinking about it. 

I actually let them cater my wedding, if you can believe that!

Please don't tell me you had your wedding in their castle along with your rehearsal dinner?

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

• 1 month later...

Please don't tell me you had your wedding in their castle along with your rehearsal dinner?

MelissaH

Heh... no, but they DO have a Roman themed banquet hall, located in a strip mall down the road. THAT'S where I got married. It was craptastic.

ANYWAY... I finally found it! They revamped their website and posted their menu. Six pages! Check out page 5 for the infamous "Dump Breakfast" and the "Lost Amigo Rock Gut Omlette".

Click!

It's actually hilarious, if not nauseating.

Edited to fix link.

Edited by lesfen (log)

Oh, also check out page 3 for a sandwich that is actually named "The Stroke".

THE STROKE….………………...…….. 6.99

4 Over hard eggs, your choice of ham, bacon or sausage, choice of American, Swiss or Mozzarella, positioned neatly on every 3rd day on a bed of mayo and lettuce on a large bun. Chest paddles not included!