• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Food Picture Album

hzrt8w

Picture:

gallery_19795_2014_29107.jpg

Chinese name: 南乳吊燒雞

English name: Cantonese Roast Chicken

Category: Cantonese dinner entree, Poultry

Description: Whole chicken rubbed with nam yu (red fermented bean curd), five spices and salt, then hung and roasted until skin is crispy.  Chopped into pieces when served.

Condiment: Ground raw garlic and ginger mix.

(Offered at:  Won Kee Seafood Restaurant (408-955-9666), Milpitas, CA, USA)

<Drooling>

Ah Leung, how could we duplicate this at home? Do I see a pictorial coming soon? :wink:

Betty:

I finally tried making this Cantonese roast chicken with nam yu at home yesterday. The result was pretty good. I must say it's not as good as what I got from Won Kee, but it is pretty good for a home production. I have taken some pictures. Will post this coming Saturday.

Mr. Leung and fellow chinese food connoiseurs,

Anyone have a good recipe for 烧鸡水the honey sugar colour solution to dry the chicken before roasting and also the huai yan(淮盐)?感谢您

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

"Inhale the aroma before tasting and drinking, savour the goodness from the heart "

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone have a good recipe for 烧鸡水the honey sugar colour  solution to dry the chicken before roasting and also the huai yan(淮盐)?感谢您

I don't think this particular style of roast chicken uses the "honey sugar colour solution" that you described ("lo shui" in Cantonese). The marinating agent is "Nam Yu" (fermented red bean curds) and a bit of dark soy sauce.

As for huai yan(淮盐):

Dry roast some sichuan peppercorn on a pen over fire. Then use a spice grinder to grind it into powder. Pick out the husks. Mix the powder with table salt.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"