• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Food Picture Album

hzrt8w

Yeah, you two... don't let the cholesterol stop you!   :biggrin:   I would love to have shrimp every night too... but it remains an indulgence only once a week or so.

As I understand it, there's no evidence at all that eating the Cholesterol contained in shrimp contributes to blood cholesterol, so enjoy. Same with eggs.

Actually, I read that shrimp has the "good" cholesterol.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Yeah, you two... don't let the cholesterol stop you!   :biggrin:   I would love to have shrimp every night too... but it remains an indulgence only once a week or so.

As I understand it, there's no evidence at all that eating the Cholesterol contained in shrimp contributes to blood cholesterol, so enjoy. Same with eggs.

Check here for shrimp/cholesterol. (scroll down for cardiovascular benefits)

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=107

Picture:

gallery_19795_2014_37870.jpg

Chinese name: 雪魚茄子煲

English name: Clay Pot: Sea Bass with Eggplant

Category: Cantonese dinner entree, Clay Pots

Description: Sea Bass filet, lightly battered and deep-fried, then braised with eggplant in a sauce made with broth and oyster sauce.

(Offered at: New Hong Kong Wok Restaurant ((916) 454-2828), Sacramento, CA, USA)

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

• 1 month later...

The following is a series of 5 food pictures taken from a small restaurant called "Shanghai Dumpling Shop" in San Francisco (Richmond district). They specialized in Shanghai style. The food tastes very good.

Picture:

gallery_19795_2014_47284.jpg

Chinese name: 小籠包

English name:Xiao Long Bao (Shanghai soup dumpling)

Category: Shanghainese entree

Description: Small dumplings with ground pork filling steamed to perfection. The essence is to have the soup (steaming hot) held inside each dumpling. The best made dumplings have very thin wrappers, and are almost transluscent upon serving.

Condiment: Red vinegar with shredded ginger.

(Offered at: Shanghai Dumpling Shop, San Francisco, CA, USA)

Picture:

gallery_19795_2014_44804.jpg

Chinese name: 燻魚

English name: Smoked fish

Category: Shanghainese appetizer (cold)

Description: Pieces of pomfret marinated with dark soy sauce and other seasoning, smoked to perfection. Sesame seeds are sprinkled on top. Served at room temperature.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

Picture:

gallery_19795_2014_41676.jpg

Chinese name: 鹽水鴨

English name: Salt duck

Category: Shanghainese appetizer (cold)

Description: Whole duck marinated and cooked in salt water, then chopped into bite-size pieces. Served at room temperature.

Picture:

gallery_19795_2014_32659.jpg

Chinese name: 獅子頭

English name: Lion Head Meatballs

Category: Shanghainese dinner entree

Description: This is a signature Shanghainese specialty dish. Minced pork with seasoning rolled into giant ball shape, first deep-fried then braised in a sauce made with dark soy sauce and other ingredients to perfection. Served on top of some blanched vegetables (typically spinach). The meatballs are very soft, almost "melt in your mouth", and full of flavor.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

Picture:

gallery_19795_2014_20901.jpg

Chinese name: 牛腩麵

English name: Beef Brisket Noodle Soup

Category: Shanghainese noodles

Description: Beef brisket braised in soy sauce mix to perfection. Served on top of wheat noodles in soup.

Okay - a bit of a double post here - but I wanted to share some pictures.

Went to Gingeri tonight in Richmond BC and it was quite good. They totally subscribe to the less is more school of cooking. It was all about very clean light flavors (that actually border on bland). Very stripped down preparations which focus on the ingredients (which were impeccable).

Centerpiece of the meal was '8 treasure duck) - is a boned duck, stuffed with various grains and meats and slowly braised.

gallery_25348_1373_13134.jpggallery_25348_1373_9450.jpg

Sai Geung (Sand Ginger?) Poached Free Range Chicken, Braised mixed tofu.

gallery_25348_1373_9119.jpggallery_25348_1373_13100.jpg

Sablefish braised with scallions and knotted noodles, Pea Tips in Light Broth

gallery_25348_1373_12134.jpggallery_25348_1373_13655.jpg

Sesame Crisps and Almond Coconut Cookies

gallery_25348_1373_3986.jpg

• 1 month later...
Picture:

gallery_19795_2014_29107.jpg

Chinese name: 南乳吊燒雞

English name: Cantonese Roast Chicken

Category: Cantonese dinner entree, Poultry

Description: Whole chicken rubbed with nam yu (red fermented bean curd), five spices and salt, then hung and roasted until skin is crispy.  Chopped into pieces when served.

Condiment: Ground raw garlic and ginger mix.

(Offered at:  Won Kee Seafood Restaurant (408-955-9666), Milpitas, CA, USA)

<Drooling>

Ah Leung, how could we duplicate this at home? Do I see a pictorial coming soon? :wink:

Betty:

I finally tried making this Cantonese roast chicken with nam yu at home yesterday. The result was pretty good. I must say it's not as good as what I got from Won Kee, but it is pretty good for a home production. I have taken some pictures. Will post this coming Saturday.

• 1 month later...

Picture:

gallery_19795_2014_36411.jpg

Chinese name: 川椒雞

English name: Sichuan Style Chicken Stir-Fry

Category: Sichuan style entree, chicken

Description: The green leaves laid at the bottom is deep-fried spinach (I think, but am not sure). The taste is wonderful. On top: Boneless chicken stir-fried with chili slices, peanuts and a bit of soy sauce.

(Offered at: Pearl Village Restaurant, Richmond, CA, USA)

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

Xiao hzrt -- It looks like spinach to me. When I've deep fried it for a Chiuchow dish, the leaves come out like that in your picture -----mostly darkly translucent, some pieces broken off, and with some parts still lighter green.

Yes! Great flavor!

Picture:

gallery_19795_2014_46867.jpg

Chinese name: 金華玉樹雞

English name: Simmered Chicken with Yunnan Ham and Chinese Broccoli

Category: Cantonese style entree, chicken

Description: Chicken is boned and simmered in superior broth. Served with slices of steamed Yunnan ham and black mushroom interleaved with Chinese broccoli.

(Offered at: Fook Yuen Sea Food Restaurant, Millbrae, CA, USA)

• 1 year later...

(I thought, I'd revive this great thread by posting a couple of images)

Chinese name:

English name: Shanghai Beef Roll

Category: Shanghai style snack/entre

Description: Five Spice Beef, sliced thinly dressed with hoisin and wrapped in a Scallion Pancake.

gallery_38405_5763_105092.jpg

gallery_38405_5763_138638.jpg

(From Peaceful Restaurant, Vancouver BC, Canada)

Edited by fmed (log)

fmed

de gustibus non est disputandum

gallery_38405_5763_32108.jpg

Chinese name:

English name: Shanghai Chicken Noodles (Hand-stretched Noodles)

Description: Hand-stretched Wheat noodles Dressed with Chicken and Vegetables in a sweet Shanghai soy dressing

Peaceful Noodles, Vancouver, BC, Canada

Edited by fmed (log)

fmed

gallery_38405_5763_29629.jpg

Chinese name:

English name: Shanghai Dumpling Noodle Soup (Hand-stretched Noodles)

Description: Hand-stretched Wheat noodles and Pork/Chive Dumplings in a Chicken broth, topped with Spinach/Gailan leaves and scallions

Legendary Noodles, Main St, Vancouver BC, Canada

Edited by fmed (log)

fmed

Chinese name: 金華玉樹雞

Is this a Vancouver-only type of dish, or would I be able to find it at any dim sum place in Hong Kong? I think I need some, and a trip to HK is a lot more likely than a trip to Vancouver!

It's a Shanghainese thing - so I don't think you could get it in any old dim sum place. But it is easy to make actually

Grilled Green Onion Pancake + Cold 5 Spice Beef + A little Hoisin = Delicous Roll.

Most of the elements are available a larger Asian supermarkets here in Vancouver.

It's a Shanghainese thing - so I don't think you could get it in any old dim sum place.  But it is easy to make actually

Grilled Green Onion Pancake + Cold 5 Spice Beef + A little Hoisin = Delicous Roll.

Most of the elements are available a larger Asian supermarkets here in Vancouver.

Ya, but I'm in Japan. The only thing I have easy access to is the hoisin. Everything else I'd have to make!

Maybe I can find a Shanghainese restaurant in HK.

Rona,

You should check the freezer section of your pan-Asian grocery store (if you have one close by.) . You can buy frozen green onion pancakes....they are not as thin, flaky and tender, but they do the trick. Five spice beef is very easy to make....in a pinch Char Sui (BBQ Pork) makes a delicious alternative.

I edited the posts above the remove the stray (and incorrect) Chinese names left over from a cut-and-paste.

Edited by fmed (log)

fmed

Chinese name:

Description: Five Spice Beef, sliced thinly dressed with hoisin and wrapped in a Scallion Pancake.

gallery_38405_5763_105092.jpg

gallery_38405_5763_138638.jpg

(From Peaceful Restaurant, Vancouver BC, Canada)

If there were an emoticon for "drooling on my keyboard" I'd be inserting it here! I just called my SO to inform him that we were going to Peaceful for dinner :laugh: