• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Food Picture Album

hzrt8w

Or even better we could rotate between different cities, alternating between the East Coast and the West. It could be Vancouver, then NYC, then LA, then Toronto, etc.

I am sorry. I was only kidding when I posted my note. (Note the "6 days 7 nights" thing... theme from the Harrison Ford/Anne Hache movie). Who can eat out and get stuffed for 7 nights straight? :biggrin:

But if there is indeed such an event exists (round the North America), San Francisco may qualify as a destination too. :raz:

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Or even better we could rotate between different cities, alternating between the East Coast and the West. It could be Vancouver, then NYC, then LA, then Toronto, etc.

I am sorry. I was only kidding when I posted my note. (Note the "6 days 7 nights" thing... theme from the Harrison Ford/Anne Hache movie). Who can eat out and get stuffed for 7 nights straight? :biggrin:

I can dream, can't I? :laugh:

Who can eat out and get stuffed for 7 nights straight?   :biggrin:

I for one can.

In NYC we can even compare the three Chinatowns there (Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Flushing).

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Picture:

gallery_19795_2014_29107.jpg

Chinese name: 南乳吊燒雞

English name: Cantonese Roast Chicken

Category: Cantonese dinner entree, Poultry

Description: Whole chicken rubbed with nam yu (red fermented bean curd), five spices and salt, then hung and roasted until skin is crispy. Chopped into pieces when served.

Condiment: Ground raw garlic and ginger mix.

(Offered at: Won Kee Seafood Restaurant (408-955-9666), Milpitas, CA, USA)

Ah Leung,

This is just cruel. :wink: I'm so full from dinner (chicken wings in black bean sauce, no pictures), yet true to myself, these pictures are making me hungry. I especially like the ginger-garlic condiment that comes with the chicken. We have to keep it away from my mom and my brother or they'd eat it all for themselves.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

hzrt8w: I love both the chicken dishes you've posted so far on this thread.

In terms of eating out for 7 days, I can do that easily. If anyone has an event to propose, please do contact a forum host for the area where it would take place.

Michael aka "Pan"

Picture:

gallery_19795_2014_5949.jpg

Chinese name: 椒鹽豆腐

English name: Deep-fried tofu with Salt and Pepper

Category: Cantonese appetizer, snack

Description: Medium-firm tofu deep-fried, topped with fried minced garlic, chili, salt and freshly chopped green onions.

(Offered at: New Hong Kong Wok Restaurant ((916) 454-2828), Sacramento, CA, USA)

We seriously need to organize a Vancouver Chinese food tour...

I think we should have a MOE (Member Organized Event) to meet in Vancouver for an annual 6-days/7-nights gathering. Just to eat!

Count me in. :biggrin: Haven't had real Chinese food in a long time. :sad:

Picture:

gallery_19795_2014_29107.jpg

Chinese name: 南乳吊燒雞

English name: Cantonese Roast Chicken

Category: Cantonese dinner entree, Poultry

Description: Whole chicken rubbed with nam yu (red fermented bean curd), five spices and salt, then hung and roasted until skin is crispy.  Chopped into pieces when served.

Condiment: Ground raw garlic and ginger mix.

(Offered at:  Won Kee Seafood Restaurant (408-955-9666), Milpitas, CA, USA)

<Drooling>

Ah Leung, how could we duplicate this at home? Do I see a pictorial coming soon? :wink:

Ah Leung, how could we duplicate this at home? Do I see a pictorial coming soon? :wink:

I don't know. It may not be easy. I have never tried it. It would be a challenge. :raz: Need to research on the recipe...

Excellent, hzrt8w!  I can just imagine how crisp the tofu is! The toppings are exquisite, just a little dip into some kecap....heaven lah!

"Heaven lah!"... LOL! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

The "Salt and Pepper" style is very common: on tofu, shrimp, squid, oyster and crab too. All Cantonese style.

I don't know. It may not be easy. I have never tried it. It would be a challenge. :raz: Need to research on the recipe...

The texture of the skin makes me wonder if it is was finished by ladling hot oil over the chicken until it reaches that blistered look and the right colour? It looks so moist and succulent! :wub:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

From my research on this Cantonese Nam Yu Roast Chicken, here is the method of making them in a rough sketch. It seems a bit difficult to do at home.

Make a marinade with crushing 2 cubes of nam yu, crush some garlic. Mix and stuff into the chicken cavity. Seal openings with thread. To make the skin crispy, pour boiling red/white vinegar mix on the chicken body. Then hang up the chicken to air-dry for a day. Finally roast the chicken in the oven. Baste with red vinegar + malt sugar mix. Unseal the opening. Collect the nam yu liquid and use as a condiment. Chop up the chicken and serve.

Dejah: I think the sheen on the chicken skin is from the malt sugar basting during roasting.

From my research on this Cantonese Nam Yu Roast Chicken, here is the method of making them in a rough sketch.  It seems a bit difficult to do at home.

Make a marinade with crushing 2 cubes of nam yu, crush some garlic.  Mix and stuff into the chicken cavity.  Seal openings with thread.  To make the skin crispy, pour boiling red/white vinegar mix on the chicken body.  Then hang up the chicken to air-dry for a day.  Finally roast the chicken in the oven.  Baste with red vinegar + malt sugar mix.  Unseal the opening.  Collect the nam yu liquid and use as a condiment.  Chop up the chicken and serve.

Dejah: I think the sheen on the chicken skin is from the malt sugar basting during roasting.

So it's the same process as making Peking duck or Chinese BBQ duck...except for the nam yu in place of meen see.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I have a question on the tofu dish.

Is the tofu deep-fried, plated and then topped with the garlic-salt-pepper-scallion mixture? or is a stirfried a bit together and then plated?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Is the tofu deep-fried, plated and then topped with the garlic-salt-pepper-scallion mixture? or is a stirfried a bit together and then plated?

Tofu is deep-fried separately, then stir-fried with the mixture for just a few seconds at last.

I never even thought of Salt and Pepper Tofu! (Something to keep in mind if I ever do a vegetarian class again.)

Great for vegetarians who want the salt/pepper experience.

I wonder if the tofu squares were deep/fried as is or if they were first dusted with cornstarch or waterchestnut powder.

I wonder if the tofu squares were deep/fried as is or if they were first dusted with cornstarch or waterchestnut powder.

Good question. I would love to see how they did it. I think the tofu must have been deep-fried at a very high temperature (need a good burner) but very briefly. :raz:

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

Picture:

gallery_19795_2014_26053.jpg

Chinese name: 蟹肉干燒伊麵

English name: Yi Fu Noodles with Crab Meat

Category: Cantonese Rice/Noodle plates

Description: Yi Fu noodles stir-fried with crab meat, yellow chive and straw mushrooms in premium broth and dark soy sauce.

(Offered at: Yeung City Seafood Restaurant, Sacramento, CA, USA)

Picture:

gallery_19795_2014_46855.jpg

Chinese name: 豉油王鸡丝抄麺

English name: Soy Sauce Chicken Chow Mein

Category: Cantonese Rice/Noodle plates

Description: Soft egg noodles stir-fried with chicken, dark soy sauce, bean sprouts, onions and green onions.

(Offered at: Happy Garden Restaurant ((916) 456-0581), Sacramento, CA, USA)