• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hemp's Meats, since 1849

I just swung by Hemp's Meats on my way back from a quick trip to Frederick for Costco supplies, and I am kicking myself for not having stopped in before now. Especially since I drive right past Jefferson a couple times each month.

This is a real, old-fashioned butcher. You can buy sides of beef from this guy, and if you want he'll cut it into steaks and roasts for you. He grinds his own meats. He makes sausages--Italian, brats, sage, etc. The store is real old-fashioned, complete with a Coca-Cola menu board listing cuts and prices.

I discovered today that there are cuts not necessarily on the menu boards that are available. Specifically, I inquired about hanger steak/onglet. The butcher said nobody asks for it (!) and of course since there's only one on every cow he doesn't add it to the menu. I asked if he had any and he responded, "I got about 50 cows in the back, how many you want?" :blink::biggrin: I bought only 3 so there's still a few left for you if you want some--and he charged me a price that made me think I was getting away with highway robbery. He literally went into the meat locker (think Rocky; I expected to see Sly Stallone whacking a few sides of beef back there as his workout) and cut three steaks off three cows for me. Then he brought them out into the shop and trimmed them by hand before weighing them and selling them to me. I anticipate a fabulous dinner tonight.

If you want any sort of cow or pig part not normally sold at the supermarket, it's worth giving Hemp's a call and seeing what they have. They also sell some seafood and other products as a convenience for their customers. They even have a wheel of rat cheese sitting on the counter that they'll whack a hunk of at your request. The guys behind the counter are super-friendly and knowledgeable.

Click to visit Hemp's Meats, including directions from across the metro area.

Since so many of us have seen this notice, yet none has offered any response, I would like to express thanks for the information as well as all the detail, Malawry.

This is precisely the kind of inside scoop I appreciate finding when reading the regional forum dedicated to our neck of the woods.

I especiallly enjoyed reading the personal anecdote. It is always wonderful when someone goes out of his or her way to respond to a customer.

Now, a while back The Washington Post ran a short story about a new butcher's shop somewhere out in VA or Maryland. I think it was a business owned by a woman (? not positive, but I kind of have a picture in my head) and the prices were quite the opposite to what is reported here. Anyone know what I am talking about?

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Now, a while back The Washington Post ran a short story about a new butcher's shop somewhere out in VA or Maryland.  I think it was a business owned by a woman (? not positive, but I kind of have a picture in my head) and the prices were quite the opposite to what is reported here.  Anyone know what I am talking about?

You're thinking about the food section blurb a couple of weeks back on West Meat in Gainesville, VA. The prices there are closer to standard grocery retail because, unlike Hemp's, they don't appear to be growing meat at their farm a couple of miles down the road. It makes a difference.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Hannnah, yes, that is the place. Thanks.

Sorry if I sounded judgmental on prices. I completely understand the need to earn a profit and am more than willing to pay more for superior quality and to accommodate all businesses involved in a transaction.

FYI, there was a wonderful article on a butcher by Daria Moskowitz in the anthology Best Food Writing 2004 edited by Holly Hughes. Actually, there is another, a very informative piece by Kathleen Brennan as well.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

FWIW, most of the prices at Hemp's are in line with at least Costco prices, although unlike Costco Hemp's doesn't make you buy 5lbs of ground beef.

Well, I forgot the cooler - but that's ok since we still have sausage left in the freezer from last year's butcherin'. However, I did get a magnificent 2 inch rib steak. When I asked to make sure it was on the bone, the counterman replied, in a friendly way, "of course", as to say what other way is there.

I should say that I seldom eat the large steaks that I did in my younger days. But last night I was eating alone - wife in Florida at her mom's - , and I demolished that rib along with a magnum of '91 Montelena. Saved the bone for my friend's dog, but I doubt there's much meat he'll be able to extract from it.

The ambiance and products at Hemp's are well worth a drive in the country for those in the northern and western sections of the DC area. This is a place with real butchers - not just meatcutters!

Thanks again, Doug