• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

London Pubs on a medium budget

Calling all connoisseurs of good pubfare and or authentic must try London restaurants!

I will be there for 3 days in Mid Nov staying in S.Kensignton. (I don't know the city or the area). We're seeking unique, exceptional British food (and beer) on a medium budget, like 20-40GPB per meal, per person. (-Is that realistic?)

I've read about a couple of the Gastro pubs like "Anchor and Hope". Do I need to check this place out? Any others like it or better?

I plan on having Indian too. Is Brick Lane a safe bet? Just point and shoot when I get there or any shining stars?

Any and all recommendations greatly appreciated.

(Ps, we'll be coming from Paris so no French food advice necessary)

thx

Eat!

Edited by Eatmywords (log)

That wasn't chicken

The Atlas sounds like it should be right up your street. You can walk there from South Ken, or take the tube to West Brompton and it's just round the corner. Very good food (not especially British though) and excellent beer, in your price range.

Here's a complete list of pubs in Kensington, and do check out the site's general reviews for Central London pubs.

The Churchill Arms on Kensington Church Street just won some sort of Pub of the Year competition: very authentic and good beer, but the food is Thai.

For Brick Lane, look for a place called 'Lahore'. Looks pretty shabby from the outside but it's the one most Indians would recommend.

Sarah

Sarah

The Atlas sounds like it should be right up your street. You can walk there from South Ken, or take the tube to West Brompton and it's just round the corner. Very good food (not especially British though) and excellent beer, in your price range.

Here's a complete list of pubs in Kensington, and do check out the site's general reviews for Central London pubs.

The Churchill Arms on Kensington Church Street just won some sort of Pub of the Year competition: very authentic and good beer, but the food is Thai.

For Brick Lane, look for a place called 'Lahore'. Looks pretty shabby from the outside but it's the one most Indians would recommend.

Sarah

Great advice, thanks Battle!!

That wasn't chicken

For lunchtimes only, the Guinea pub (in Bruton Place, right near New Bond Street in W1) does the most amazing Steak and Kidney pies. I think they've won some sort of nation-wide championship with them and the pies really are lovely and reasonably priced (about £5 last time I had one). The sandwiches are pretty good too.

Do be careful if you go, though - it's a bit confusing because the pub is right next to a posh restaurant which is called the Guinea Grill and it's fairly easy to choose the wrong entrance. Also, it's really popular so I would recommend arriving early if you want one of the few seats.....but the pies are worth it! :smile:

<a href='http://www.longfengwines.com' target='_blank'>Wine Tasting in the Big Beige of Beijing</a>

It may be the wrong end of town, but try The Royal Oak, which is an immaculate recreation of an authentic Victorian pub in the London style (i.e.: bar in the middle of the room), within walking distance of Borough Market, and the metropolitan showcase of Harvey's brewery in Lewes. Not only is the beer delicious (*if you like real ale*), but they let you take it - by pint or jug - across the street to Simply Indian, which is a first rate restaurant. Don't be put off is it is completely empty because their business is mostly in home delivery (and they are very successful) but they have a few tables and have recently redecorated, so that now the place is really quite opulent. The menu is the standard British Indian, produced to a high standard. They will return your glasses to the pub (which also serves pretty good, meaty British food, BTW).