• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

name a new restaurant

who is the chef?

what is a signature dish?

what beverages will be served?

what is the price point?

is the decor mixed or leaning in one direction

The chef is a 32 year old who is trained in Thailand's culinary school and has been cooking Indian and Thai food for about five years. He is very talented. As far as beverages go we will serve fine wines, asian inspired cocktails and also a fairly decent selection of beers from around the globe concentrating on southeast asia. Price will be mid range to upscale. Not to pricey. Decor will be contemprary with subtle influences on India and Thailand.

I like one-word names, too. Kha and Sanuk both appeal.

Found to a greater or lesser degree in both India and Thailand (if I'm not mistaken):

- Cardamom

- Guava

- Pandanus

- Sambal (Sambol in the Sri Lankan spelling)

- Galangal

- Cassia

- Rambutan (OK, more SE Asian than Indian but fun to pronounce and lends itself to striking logos, photos, etc.)

Exception to the one-word rule:

- Favor Curry

I really like Sanuk and Rambutan. I also prefer one word names.

My initial thought was that coconut would be a common element, so I'd suggest:

Nariyal (Hindi for coconut)

An added benefit is that on the surface I just think it is a pretty word.

I like Kha, too.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

I like Episure's Kha  and Daniel's Satay to Saag.

Kha is pronounced how?

I too prefer Satay over Saag, which always reminds me of what my body is doing.

I'm still stuck on the common thread between India and Thailand. If not an ingredient what about a river, a textile, an element, a sacred word.

s

Back to the original post.

In my experience, restaurants are named after (Seattle diners can try and figure these out):

a) an historic, no longer in existence, restaurant that has the sense of place one wishes to evoke (and after rights to said name have expired),

b) the location,

c) a general idea relevant to the cuisine, ie, an ingredient or style of cooking (or both),

d) exhaustive lists of names are generated by a pr company and then thrown out as no good and something else is picked out,

e) the newborn child of the owner/chef,

f) the family name of one of the partners,

g) a different geographical location that evokes the feeling of the place or just sounds good,

h) a god or goddess,

i) one word that may or may not have anything to do with the concept (these are big right now.) Hmmm, how about "Big" - not for this place, but for some place...I don't think I've run into it.

Hope that helps generate some ideas.

I'm still stuck on the common thread between India and Thailand. If not an ingredient what about a river, a textile, an element, a sacred word.

I like this idea. I can't come up with a common thread though. I think "Basmati" is a Hindi word, and it is commonly associated with Thai food, but I'm not sure it's clever enough to be a name of a restaurant. But there has to be some common thread that would make a great restaurant name.

Tammy Olson aka "TPO"

The Practical Pantry

I like this idea. I can't come up with a common thread though. I think "Basmati" is a Hindi word, and it is commonly associated with Thai food, but I'm not sure it's clever enough to be a name of a restaurant. But there has to be some common thread that would make a great restaurant name.

I was thinking of the types of rices used for each cuisine, jasmine (thai) and basmati (indian) rice.

Jasmati would be a fun name but the name is already owned by Ricetec for a hybrid blend of rice that they market.

Back to the original post.

In my experience, restaurants are named after (Seattle diners can try and figure these out):

a) an historic, no longer in existence, restaurant that has the sense of place one wishes to evoke (and after rights to said name have expired),

b) the location,

c) a general idea relevant to the cuisine, ie, an ingredient or style of cooking (or both),

d) exhaustive lists of names are generated by a pr company and then thrown out as no good and something else is picked out,

e) the newborn child of the owner/chef,

f) the family name of one of the partners,

g) a different geographical location that evokes the feeling of the place or just sounds good,

h) a god or goddess,

i) one word that may or may not have anything to do with the concept (these are big right now.) Hmmm, how about "Big" - not for this place, but for some place...I don't think I've run into it.

Hope that helps generate some ideas.

tHANKS THIS REALLY HELPS...

Hmmm, how about "Big" - not for this place, but for some place...I don't think I've run into it.

You'd have to prepare yourself for about three hundred jokes and/or complaints about portion size per night! :biggrin:

i AM KIND OF IMMUNED SINCE WE HAVE OWNED A RESTAURANT AND CATERING BUSINESS FOR ABOUT 8 YEARS. BUT I DON'T BELIVE IN TINY PORTIONS. IF YOU ARE CHARGING YOU HAVE TO GIVE DECENT PORTIONS. DO YOU AGREE OR NOT.

I believe there is a restaurant called basmati if I am not mistaken.

I was thinking of the types of rices used for each cuisine, jasmine (thai) and basmati (indian) rice.

Jasmati would be a fun name but the name is already owned by Ricetec for a hybrid blend of rice that they market.

I think you are right still definately it's a interesting name.

A restaurants name is very important. It is the first point of contact and after all, it is a type of sale and the first key is getting the customers attention. I think one word names are good from the standpoint of being easy to remember and that is important. If the name is longer than one word it needs to be straight forward and simple. I know out here in S.F. for example there is the "House of Prime Rib." That (to me) is a long name but easy to remember. I also like the tie in to something geographic, food wise, or something to associate with the cusine.

The only one word name that I sort of like would be "Paratha." I don't know about Thailand but I know Burma (which lies between) has paratha as well. The only dilemma I see with the Restaurant being Indian & Thai and a one word name is spelling. A short name is nice but if people are trying to find it and can't spell it in order to get directions the purpose is defeated. (I don't know if one can get a listing with 411 that picks up phonetic spellings as well but it would be worth it perhaps.)

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

Buddha's Hand

'Fingered Citron' [...] ('Buddha's Hand', or 'Buddha's Fingers'; C. medica var. sarcodactylus Swing.); called fu shou in China, bushukon in Japan, limau jari, jeruk tangan, limau kerat lingtang, in Malaya; djerook tangan in Indonesia; som-mu in Thailand; phât thu in Vietnam. [...] The fruit is highly fragrant and is placed as an offering on temple altars. [...] In India, there are several named types, in addition to the 'Fingered' [...]

- http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/citron.html

Go out to one of the more popular web guides that people in your area use to look for restaurants and then come up with something that has numbers at the beginning/and/or begins with the letter A. If you're clever enough about it, it means your restaurant will always come up at the very top or close to the very top of the list anytime someone does a search which will help drive more customers.....now you just have to come up with an original sounding name within those parameters that evokes what your restaurant is about.

I like animal names that evoke exotic places...unfortunately, there seems to be an Elephant already in NYC. I like Tiger, too; and there are tigers in both Thailand and India.

To me, it's a fairly sophisticated and elegant sort of animal, Tony the Tiger notwithstanding :hmmm:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Go out to one of the more popular web guides that people in your area use to look for restaurants and then come up with something that has numbers at the beginning/and/or begins with the letter A.  If you're clever enough about it, it means your restaurant will always come up at the very top or close to the very top of the list anytime someone does a search which will help drive more customers.....now you just have to come up with an original sounding name within those parameters that evokes what your restaurant is about.

That's a really smart idea. I have to get my thought process going. Thanks.