• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

name a new restaurant

Hi everybody, I just need opinions to how to name a new restaurant. Lot of restaurants these days don't reflect the type of cuisine etc in the name itself. I need some brainstroming by my fellow egulleteers for helping me find a new name for a restaurant we are going to open soon. Should the name be based on the type of cuisine or theme or location or what else...... Please help. Thanks...

Should the name be based on the type of cuisine or theme or location or what else......

I think you will get some terrific ideas here but we need some information about what will be served and the location, etc. Then we can get our thought processes whirring to offer possibilities for you! You did come to the right place in choosing eGullet!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Thank you so much for including us -- I've always wanted to do this and this will cost a lot less than starting my own restaurant. :wink:

As GG said, please provide a few details about the tone, menu, decor, maybe even the clientele you propose to serve.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Should the name be based on the type of cuisine or theme or location or what else......

I think you will get some terrific ideas here but we need some information about what will be served and the location, etc. Then we can get our thought processes whirring to offer possibilities for you! You did come to the right place in choosing eGullet!

We plan to serve Indian and Thai inspired cuisine for mid to upscale clientele. It will be in NYC. It will have a combination of contemparary decor with some asian influences.

Kaffir is pretty much a no-go, because in South Africa and various other places, it's a slur against black Africans that's as bad as "nigger" and has many of the same connotations of enslavement.

I'm drawing a blank on names, though.

Michael aka "Pan"

Thai Stick

Golden Triangle

Ya-Ba

or,

Jim's Mario's

-m

tongue-n-cheek, inc.

edited to add a serious option:

Chao Phraya

after the river in bangkok

Edited by akebono (log)

Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.

We plan to serve Indian and Thai inspired cuisine for mid to upscale clientele. It will be in NYC.  It will have a combination of contemparary decor with some asian influences.

A Triple Threat is required.

Recognizing yourself, your split menu and celebrating Boy George: Sharma Chameleon.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Kaffir is pretty much a no-go, because in South Africa and various other places, it's a slur against black Africans that's as bad as "nigger" and has many of the same connotations of enslavement.

I'm drawing a blank on names, though.

:shock: Good grief!

There a few restaurants over on this end that have used the word wild in their names;

Wild Rice, Wild Ginger, Wild Saffron., to great success.

Perhaps something like, Wild Mango. Wild Tamarind.

But like Jamie suggested, perhaps a name that evokes both Indian and Thai.

So maybe an ingredient or ingredients.

How about Lemongrass .

Cinnamon and Coriander

Tamarind and Coriander

What is/are the common thread(s) in terms of ingredients between Indian and Thai?

That might be a springboard for more names.

Fwiw, there's an excellent Indian restaurant in northern NJ called Saffron.

I love the idea of a one-word name, though, i.e. Tamarind.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I like one-word names, too. Kha and Sanuk both appeal.

Found to a greater or lesser degree in both India and Thailand (if I'm not mistaken):

- Cardamom

- Guava

- Pandanus

- Sambal (Sambol in the Sri Lankan spelling)

- Galangal

- Cassia

- Rambutan (OK, more SE Asian than Indian but fun to pronounce and lends itself to striking logos, photos, etc.)

Exception to the one-word rule:

- Favor Curry

Fwiw, there's an excellent Indian restaurant in northern NJ called Saffron.

I love the idea of a one-word name, though, i.e. Tamarind.

There's already a Manhattan restaurant called Tamarind.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I guess I'm not clear on the original post - I thought I read it as "how to" name a restaurant, which would suggest the poster was interested in the process of coming up with names (which can be quite an art/science) rather than asking for specific name ideas. I've always thought the process was more interesting than the result (although, I guess just starting this thread is one, not particularly structured, process to achieving the end result).

Edited by nr706 (log)

There a few restaurants over on this end that have used the word wild in their names;

Wild Rice, Wild Ginger, Wild Saffron., to great success.

Perhaps something like, Wild Mango. Wild Tamarind.

But like Jamie suggested, perhaps a name that evokes both Indian and Thai.

So maybe an ingredient or ingredients.

How about Lemongrass .

Cinnamon and Coriander

Tamarind and Coriander

What is/are the common thread(s) in terms of ingredients between Indian and Thai?

That might be a springboard for more names.

I believe there is a restaurant named lemongrass grill and also coriander. I feel everybody is doing spice names and herb name like bayleaf, cardamom, turmeric etc.

Don't you guys feel that to much has been done already. Please give your views..thanks