• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montreal tops En Route once again

cookatlarge

Cafe Brio next evening aced in all aspects vs Rosemead, but of course, the restau did not look like a cold Maple Leaf Lounge.

Too bad about the Rosemeade. Had heard nothing but good things about it both in the press and from folks in the "trade" in Victoria. We almost went when in Victoria a couple of weeks ago but elected instead to go to our old favourites, Cafe Brio, Brasserie l'Ecole and Zambri's.

Like you, we thoroughly enjoyed our meal at Brio along with some terrific Cdn. red wine from the Howard Soon's Small Lots Program at Sandhill.

Do not "follow" the "...the restaurant did not look like a cold Maple Leaf Lounge" observation. May have missed the earlier comment. Can you explain?

Have to chuckle about this topic. Do you remember how "outraged" this particular site was when Tofino's SOBO made the same list a few years back? A "catering truck" this and that. I do not think it is to be taken seriously at all.

Those who make the list get some free publicity.

I am 100% with Lesley and I think that CC&P was robbed.

The restaurant is so succefull and the quality is always there!

CC&P is not good only because Claude Pelletier is a amazing chef but Hubert Marsolais is a big part of the success of the restaurant.

Bronte won that tittle so I would expect nothing but a first place for CC&P.

From what I understand, various critics nominate their city's restaurants, but the final compilation depends on the opinion of a single judge? You get the impression in their magazine ( we travelled, we tasted etc.) that there is a judging panel involved.

I know a couple of people who regularly fly b/w Montreal and Toronto, and they take this list seriously. On Saturday, I suggested to my friends we make a date to go to Brunoise, and one person proposed to go to Garçon instead, because it was number one on the enRoute list. I'll have to tell him the list only constitutes one person's top picks and is therefore not definitive.

i go to the west coast for a few days and i miss all the actions on my favorite topic!

of course this award is a joke. a big joke on the readers of en route. as i flew on air canada this week everyone is talking, talking about where to eat. i myself was interested so i checked our Rosemede. not sure if it was so busy before but it was full now i had to ask a favor of the concierge for a table. and all this in tiny vicotoria!

patricia at garcon is dreaming if she thinks that a 2 macaron chef will come to her disney resto. maybe pierre gagnaire is bored and wants to come to winter wonderland to cook steak frites for her

CCeP was robbed yes but it has a decidated following that will keep the success of the resto

if you think claude is not hurt then you must believe that it is ok to be the best and not be recognizesd

I am not sure that CC&P need a award like this anyway but I was really surprised and sad to see this restaurant in first place because it do not deserve it.

Pierre Gagnaire in MTL? In a small restaurant like this is something just impossible. A chef like PG would ask for a ton of money and actully these chefs have their own restaurants.

Maybe if you want to open a wonderfull restaurant of 10 million $ in NYC in the Time Warner Center and if you are a super well known in the ''gastronomie'' or just really famous you will get a chance to bring a chef like this.

How much do you think MGM gave to Joel Robuchon to be the chef at MGM Grand?

yes i know jfl i was making a joke

i think the whole budget for garcon is the fee for a star with 2 macarons

sad to say but the woman is a bit crazy if she thinks that a 2 macaron chef is reading the gazette newspaper looking to find a job, maybe this is just for pr for her but it only makes the joke bigger and bigger

anyway she will have 1 year to make her money and maybe who knows she will make a good resto as well

i will say that on air canada a lot of the people were reading en route and for sure planning to eat in the top 10

the biggest thing that was robbed was toronto. i love my home of montreal but the truth is that many great food is being made these days in toronto the 'scene' is reminding me of nyc or LA where each week a newer place opens and the placeis buzzing with good food and hopes

lesley a good idea for you is to do a REAL TOP 10 for the gazette with the list of best restos in montreal and quebec.

I do a list of top picks every year in my column just around x-mas, but it does not include Quebec City, and it's only of the restaurant I ate at this year.

The next week we do a list of top dishes. It's best to run these kinds of stories over the holidays becuase many restaurants are closed.

Er, sorry.

My top restaurant list only includes the restaurants I reviewed that year.

For instance, I can't mention Toque! because I last dined there in 2004. I do not have the budget to dine out all year long as I wish (or the time, come to think of it) so I can only base my best of 2005 on the 52 restaurants reviewed in 2005.

Hope that makes sense.

Do not "follow" the "...the restaurant did not look like a cold Maple Leaf Lounge" observation. May have missed the earlier comment. Can you explain?

Have to chuckle about this topic. Do you remember how "outraged" this particular site was when Tofino's SOBO made the same list a few years back? A "catering truck" this and that. I do not think it is to be taken seriously at all.

Well, those fish tacos are pretty tasty though.

What I ment by the maple leaf lounge is that I have this weird impression that black, beige and Inox must be used in the decor to have some kind of nomination. Rosemead was especially stunning since it is extremely modern in an old Tudor house, however, my apple rice pudding was an absolute disaster. The app was so so and I like my lamb cheeks before they mush up too much.

I didn't have a bad time but I was expecting more. The food was well priced, especially if it was done properly.

• 2 weeks later...

We have tasting menus, 5 or so courses during which wine is paired with Joe's plates, and I present and pour each wine when the plate is served.  We have regulars, who like to chat and trust my choices on new products as the wine list is in constant flux. We have customers who drop a fair chunk of change on a special bottle, during which I'll prime the glasses and carafe. Sorry if you feel that I'm not spending enough time at other tables, but my plate is pretty full.  I try to be at every table during the moment the client is making her choice, but unfortunately sometimes that is the only interaction I have. 

So you'd be the asian fellow then? I never got your name.. I actually ate at Bronte this past Saturday night (Nov 26th-the mid-20s guy seated in the center of the room with a girl). I ordered the Chablis but it was out and so I went with the Cote-du-Rhone based on your comments; it was very good. Actually, the whole evening was a terrific experience. I'm curious about the tasting menu though because all I saw was an à la carte menu. Is it something you do off and on, or do you have to ask for it? I'd be very interested in it for the future... Btw those cocktails you serve that are topped with champagne are fantastic. Any chance you'd pm me how to make them at home? :P

And anyone can answer this, when do restaurants tend to put out their NY's menu and start taking reservations? I'm wavering between Toqué and Bronte, although leaning towards Bronte..

Anyway, I just wanted to pipe-in and say that Bronte is now my favorite restaurant in the city. It has a wonderfully warm atmosphere that makes it perfect for dates, and the service was both excellent and very friendly. All of the waiters that served us were fantastic.