• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Luciano's

Luciano’s (mentioned elsewhere as MPW’s newest venture) is open and probably deserves a thread of its own.

The site in St James’s Street (SW1) is just across the street from L'Oranger. If memory serves, it was previously the Suntory restaurant and has been empty since they closed a few years ago.

The secretive Suntory layout, sunken and hidden away behind bamboo screens, is long gone. The part of Luciano’s facing the street is a bar area and the white tablecloths of the restaurant proper are tucked away in a divided area towards the rear.

I only had time to glance at the menu, which offers solid Italian. Prices looked pretty reasonable. I might have to try and dine there before they go up! :wink:

I spoke to someone who ate there last night and said they were doing a 50% food discount at the moment. Her only comments were of average food (salty starters) and amateurish service. She thought the opening may have been a little rushed.

if I remember the place was touted as being Mme Pruniere restaurant a couple of years back but obviously never came to fruition.

Tried to drop in for Lunch. Was turned away as they were full. Although I couldn't see any occupied tables.

Looking again at the menu, the prices are £5-£10 for starters and £18+ for mains. Which is a little bit more than my first impression.

As they don't have a website, or apparently any listing in the phonebook, their number is: 020 7408 1440. The food is half-price until Saturday night (5th Nov).

• 3 weeks later...

I was there on Friday along with Claudia Schiffer, Bryan Adams, Andrew Neil and Rebecca Loos. I wan't actually with them you understand, but was dining with a number of food writers and industry types to eat one of the white truffles Marco bought at auction the previous weekend. The restaurant appears to be a big hit with the great and good and perhaps his most significant opening since The Mirabelle. I enjoyed the truffle based set menu, but found the windowless room just a bit bloody noisey for my tastes - although, as my current prefence is to be alone in a silent room with a Raymond Chandler novel, a cup of tea and a homemade fruit scone, that opinion may not count for much.

website

I was there on Friday along with Claudia Schiffer, Bryan Adams, Andrew Neil and  Rebecca Loos. I wan't actually with them you understand, but was dining with a number of food writers and industry types

Yawn yawn :rolleyes:

Edited by Emma M (log)