• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help! Bipimbap or Bibimbap?

which is it, is there a preferred spelling for here in the US?

I'm referring of course to the korean rice dish that means thrown together, or so i was told.

Can anyone help me with a definitive spelling?

Thanks.

It means mixed together. My wife knows alot about Korean food.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

which is it, is there a preferred spelling for here in the US?

I'm referring of course to the korean rice dish that means thrown together, or so i was told.

Can anyone help me with a definitive spelling?

Thanks.

It means mixed together. My wife knows alot about Korean food.

That's an understatement - she's a guru

if you've only heard 'bibimbap" pronounced and not spelled, it's certainly easy to think there's a p sound in the "bibim" part, because the difference in Korean between "b" and "p" is not how "hard" the b or p sound is, but whether it's aspirated or not. So some Koreans make "b" sounds that sound like a "p" but without a puff of air. On the other hand, that final "p" is a little tricky to get right too, because only the first half of the "p" comes out... it's aspirated but unreleased.

That's why Japanese just leave off the final "p" altogether when they say "bibimba"... it sounds closer than "bibimbapu", which would be the most likely way the "p" sound would come out in Japanese.

Korean romanization is more bewilderingly inconsistent than it should be... If I see "soo" or "su" they are the same, following different conventions, but "soo' (sue) and "so" (so) are completely different. And writing out double-l sounds fails to convey the transformation of the sound that happens when present.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

• 2 weeks later...