• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Fabulous Fritter: what is your favorite?

Fall has arrived and now it is possible to fry up something delicious and top it with all manner of interesting sauces ...

fritters being high on the list of my favorite autumnal dishes ... my favorite is an apple fritter which I dust with powdered sugar ... and your favorite?

I know people make fritters from fruits and vegetables and even seafood (conch) ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Fritters!!!

Cheese (like the old Magic Pan ones :wub: )

Banana (my Dad makes the best :wub::wub: )

Corn

Apple

Codfish (Doraditos) (haven't had some in looooong time)

A lovely fritter sets my heart a-twitter..... :laugh:

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

I've got a recipe from way back for Carrot Fritters. The children love them because they taste more like cake than carrot.

I really do like fritters. Is there any kind of generic fritter batter, if you will, where you can add whatever strikes your fancy and make {fill in blank} fritters?

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

Is there any kind of generic fritter batter, if you will, where you can add whatever strikes your fancy and make {fill in blank} fritters?

one basic batter ... probably would work for many types of fritters ...

and another ...

this one is for fruit fritters ...

No dearth of fritter batters ... :laugh:

Thanks, GG!

There are some _really_ simple foods that somehow I've managed to miss learning to make--like grilled cheese sandwiches. So I'm working on mastering the art of them as best I can at this late date. But better late than never, eh? :rolleyes:

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

So I'm working on mastering the art of them as best I can at this late date.  But better late than never, eh?  :rolleyes:

Angela, it is never too late to learn new techniques and recipes! All you need is the interest in trying! Good luck with your frittering! :wink:

Korean fritters, cooked on the griddle and served piping hot with cho jang vinegar dipping sauce. Nothing on earth is better!

Pa'jon is often described as 'spring onion pancake' - but it's really a fritter, the egg and flour batter used to hold together any number of ingredients, spring onions, shrimp, zucchini, carrots, kim chi, etc. Koreans will make a fritter out of just about anything: we love to make fritters from broccoli and chillies, from zucchini, from sweet potatoes, from crab and fish, and with marinaded bulgogi meat: just about anything at all.

And who needs the season of fall as an excuse to make fritters! They are one of the best picnic foods in the world (as good cold as piping hot) and they are delicious in the depths of winter, too.

GG, thanks for bringing up this topic - you've sent me straight into the kitchen to rustle up some delicious Korean fritters.

Marc

I had some excellent fritters/doughnuts in Lithuania called Spurgos which in most cases are sweet, but I had some savoury ones filled with wil mushrooms which were excellent.

I have also had some excellent veg fritters from Corsica. One that I remember is grated zucchini with corsican mint egg whites whiipe to a foam, so that they are very light in texture.

Also, Zucchini and Squash flowers in Italy.

Thai Corn and Shrimp Fritters with dipping sauce

Clam fritters

and definately, Apple... (a little rum and lemon in the batter is very good)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

[...]Pa'jon is often described as 'spring onion pancake' - but it's really a fritter, the egg and flour batter used to hold together any number of ingredients, spring onions, shrimp, zucchini, carrots, kim chi, etc.[...]

What's the difference between a pancake and a fritter? Are Shanghai-style scallion pancakes really a fritter?

Michael aka "Pan"

We made savory corn fritters to go with our lunch of grilled salmon steaks today. There are red chilies, scallions, shallots & garlic and celery leaves in them.

gallery_11814_1914_32739.jpg

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Covering anything in batter and then frying it is bound to make it taste better... :wub:

My favourites:

-squash blossom

-oysters with lots of tartar sauce

-pakoras

I've never had a corn fritter, or a sea anenome fritter. The sea anenome fritter looks like a scary tarantula, but I'm sure I'd like it if I closed my eyes and popped it in my mouth.

Hushpuppies!

Don't fritters usually consist of a batter plus a food item to be considered authentic?

What does a hushpuppy enclose within it to be considered a fritter? (please note: the response about anything canine is not going to sway me from my deeply held, deep fried fritter convictions!")

Chrysanthemum tempura. I think the nature of a chrysanthemum flower really makes it a fritter :cool: You have to hold the sepals with chopsticks, dip the flower in batter, then swish it gently in the hot oil so that the petals separate as they fry...like this scroll down to the second photo, the chrysanthemum flower is at the bottom of the photo.

Chrysanthemum tempura. I think the nature of a chrysanthemum flower really makes it a fritter :cool: You have to hold the sepals with chopsticks, dip the flower in batter, then swish it gently in the hot oil so that the petals separate as they fry...like this scroll down to the second photo, the chrysanthemum flower is at the bottom of the photo.

Wow! never knew chrysanthemums were edible!!

Look almost too pretty to eat.

I agree with whoever upthread said pakoras!

Pakora anything!

Pakoras + masala chai - best rainy day snack.

Milagai