• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cherry Cobbler

franktex

I do not make desserts.

But, I was given a can of Cherries Jubilee and was asked to make a cobbler. Several recipes, (including my grandmother's that my sister gave me) call for pouring the batter(soon the be crust) on the bottom of the pan, and the fruit on top, and somehow, the batter finds it's way to the top and browns? Is this true? It doesn't sound like it would work, but I thought someone here could confirm it or not. Thanks.

FM

Edited by franktex (log)

Frank in Austin

Any chance you would post that recipe franktex?

I've never heard of such a thing with a cobbler..........I've gotta see this one to believe it.

I think this recipe is still on the back of the Bisquick box?

In 350 oven, melt 1 stick Butter in 9x13 pan

Mix together in bowl:

1 Cup Bisquick

1 Cup Milk

1 Cup Sugar

Pour batter onto melted Butter

Spread 1 Can Fruit Pie Filling of choice over batter

Bake 45 min

SB (can't get much eadier than that?) :smile:

I've never heard of such a thing with a cobbler..........I've gotta see this one to believe it.

I found serveral on Google that say the same thing, but here's one of them:

Cherry Cobbler

1/2 cup butter

1 cup all purpose flour

1 cup white sugar

1 tsp. Baking powder

1 cup milk

2 cups pitted sour cherries

3/4 cup white sugar

Preheat oven to 350 F. Place butter in a 9/13" baking dish and place in oven to melt while oven is preheating.

In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, and baking powder. Mix in milk until blended, then pour batter into the pan over butter. Do not stir.

Rinse out bowl from the batter & dry. Place cherries in bowl and toss with 3/4 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon flour. Distribute the cherry mixture evenly over batter. Do not stir.

Bake for 50 or 60 minutes until golden brown.

The above is not my grandmother's, but it is very similar, and my sister insisted that it works, so I guess I'll give it a shot. She says the baking powder causes it to rise above the fruit.

Frank in Austin

I found serveral on Google that say the same thing, but here's one of them:

Cherry Cobbler

1/2 cup butter

1 cup all purpose flour

1 cup white sugar

1 tsp. Baking powder

1 cup milk

2 cups pitted sour cherries

3/4 cup white sugar

Preheat oven to 350 F. Place butter in a 9/13" baking dish and place in oven to melt while oven is preheating.

In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, and baking powder. Mix in milk until blended, then pour batter into the pan over butter. Do not stir.

Rinse out bowl from the batter & dry. Place cherries in bowl and toss with 3/4 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon flour. Distribute the cherry mixture evenly over batter. Do not stir.

Bake for 50 or 60 minutes until golden brown.

The above is not my grandmother's, but it is very similar, and my sister insisted that it works, so I guess I'll give it a shot. She says the baking powder causes it to rise above the fruit.

This is almost identicle to my grandmother's recipe. The batter is similar to crepe batter. She lived her whole life in south central Florida in the middle of orange groves. She was known for her grapefruit cobbler. I've made this hundreds of times over the years and usually cut back on the butter with no problems.

Woods

This is almost identicle to my grandmother's recipe.  The batter is similar to crepe batter.  She lived her whole life in south central Florida in the middle of orange groves.  She was known for her grapefruit cobbler.  I've made this hundreds of times over the years and usually cut back on the butter with no problems.

Woods

I've never heard of a citrus cobbler, and I'm intrigued by the idea. I would think there would be too much liquid in the fruit, and that the membrane would be tough.

You can easily cut the amount of butter in any of these recipes in half, although you might want to then add a pinch of salt, since the butter normally provides that flavor enhancement.

Since cobblers are chemically risen by baking powder, (which is included in Bisquick), you can also substitute an equal amount of corn meal for half the flour and get an interesting texture that goes well with certain fruits.

SB (thinking of trying a corn meal/pink grapefruit cobbler?) :raz:

This is almost identicle to my grandmother's recipe.  The batter is similar to crepe batter.  She lived her whole life in south central Florida in the middle of orange groves.  She was known for her grapefruit cobbler.  I've made this hundreds of times over the years and usually cut back on the butter with no problems.

Woods

I've never heard of a citrus cobbler, and I'm intrigued by the idea. I would think there would be too much liquid in the fruit, and that the membrane would be tough.

Same here, a grapefruit cobbler sounds very unique.

To avoid the membranes, though, you could make 'supremes' of the grapefruit sections. That is. you slice off all the peel and white pith, then cut in between the citrus sections to release membrane-less wedges of grapefruit. I do this for citrus salads.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I've never heard of a citrus cobbler, and I'm intrigued by the idea.  I would think there would be too much liquid in the fruit, and that the membrane would be tough. 

I'd probably use some tapioca if I were making it just to thicken, and the pearls would go nicely with the cells of the grapefruit.

Citrus with corn meal just reminds me of sweet corn in salads or salsas, which I tend to think is quite nice.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

<<I'd probably use some tapioca if I were making it just to thicken, and the pearls would go nicely with the cells of the grapefruit.>>

Many recipes called for tapioca. If this actually comes out right, I'll post a photo over at Cooking/Dinner forum.

Frank in Austin

Woods

You can easily cut the amount of butter in any of these recipes in half, although you might want to then add a pinch of salt, since the butter normally provides that flavor enhancement.

Since cobblers are chemically risen by baking powder, (which is included in Bisquick), you can also substitute an equal amount of corn meal for half the flour and get an interesting texture that goes well with certain fruits.

SB (thinking of trying a corn meal/pink grapefruit cobbler?) :raz:

You section the grapefruit and remove the membrane. Its good-you may have to sugar the fruit in addition to what is in the batter. Woods

You section the grapefruit and remove the membrane.  Its good-you may have to sugar the fruit in addition to what is in the batter.    Woods

I am definately going to try that! Maybe even throw a few orange segments in for color?

THANX SB :smile:

the recipes in this thread look like Cuppa Cuppa Cuppa to me with the fruit cocktail replaced by cherries. I always thought that a cobbler had a biscuity topping. Fruit with lumpy sweetened biscuits baked on top?

the recipes in this thread look like Cuppa Cuppa Cuppa to me with the fruit cocktail replaced by cherries.  I always thought that a cobbler had a biscuity topping.  Fruit with lumpy sweetened biscuits baked on top?

Believe it or not, the recipes given here make a damn fine version of a cobbler. (The definitions of cobbler, pan dowdy, crisp, etc are rather vague and overlap.)

The batter rises up through the fruit as it bakes and makes a nice "biscuity topping". I spoon my fruit on carefully to give the batter plenty of room to get through and enough time to get crisp.

SB (tryit!) :smile:

I'm familiar with three kinds of cobbler: those made with pie pastry (on top, bottom or both), those with dropped baking powder biscuits on top, and those made with cake batter as above, .

The cake cobbler version was popular for a time in the Midwest. My family's recipe came from a friend of my mother and was known as "Helen Jean's Cherry Cobbler". It called for heating 4 cups sour cherries(fresh or canned) with sugar, juice and butter, then pouring this over the cake batter. Mine never gets crunchy on top, probably because the recipe calls for 2 cups of juice. Peaches and brown sugar are good in this, but much less sugar is needed.

The cake version is the sweetest of cobblers and is best eaten on the same day. The dropped biscuits (when my mother made this) were soggy on the bottom and too hard and crunchy on top. She mostly made apple cobbler, however, which is not the best fruit choice for this style of cobbler. My cobbler preference is for a thick pie pastry on the top only, as the bottom dough is too soggy. By soggy, I mean that the dough tastes uncooked to me.

All cobblers call for copious amounts of whipped cream or pour cream. Some prefer ice cream, but that is too sweet for me--I like more contrast.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I have seen this type called a Slump also...I use boxed cake mix as a cheat and have done apple and peach recently. The dish I like to use cant hold a whole box's worth of batter so I also bake a layer to toss in the freezer for emergency desserts...makes a descent trifle.

Hmm chocolate cake mix with cherry...hmmmm

t

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Well, the method of putting the batter on the bottom absolutely worked! I guess the beaking powder causes it so rise to the top and brown. I took a photo, but I don't have the capability of posting. Is there a trick to it?

Frank in Austin

Well, the method of putting the batter on the bottom absolutely worked! I guess the beaking powder causes it so rise to the top and brown. I took a photo, but I don't have the capability of posting. Is there a trick to it?

If you have a minute, take a look at this thread. I found it helpful to learn how to post photos.

I've made tons of slump or cake type cobblers, and they're perhaps the simplest way to go. I was able to put together a peach cobbler for 30 to 40 people at my last pig pickin', and it was well received. The key to me is to use melted salted butter -- this helps create a somewhat crunchy and chewy top that has just a bit of a salt kick to it, which is needed to offset the overall sweetness of the dish. But yes, this dish is best served the day it is made -- preferably within a couple of hours after coming out of the oven.

This is one of those dishes that is great to have kids make -- it's incredibly easy, they see an amazing transformation with the rising of the batter and the caramelization of the top, and then they get to eat it.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites