• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mecca in Norwalk....Gone?!

jeffperez62

They are gone and yes....it is the same owners. IMHO the place was OK at best. Although it is sad to see a place "switch" their format in an attempt to increase business, I do wish them well. I'd be suprised if they are still around in 6 months. They have some competition around them with Mikes, Fat Cat, Meigas all with in a 2 minute walk so I'm sure it will be an uphill battle.

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

• 3 weeks later...

Jaime is still the owner/chef. Unlike Jeff (ahem) I have been a devout Mecca diner (see multiple posts raving of Mecca).

I have yet to try the new incarnation, but it has been suggested that this is an attempt to fit a little more into the up-and-coming restaurant vibe of the area. An attempt to blend in rather than differentiating.

Very sorry to see the loss unique "one-pot" style dishes that set Mecca apart from the likes of (at one end) Meigas and (at the other end) the Barcelona chain. Nonetheless, will try to dine their sooner than later.

I live right around the corner and pass by every night. I have yet to see more than 1 table in the restaurant.

Jeff, since you "live around the corner," are you a fan of Mike's Ristorante?

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

I've never been but my wife has and she thought it nice enough. One day I stopped in just to take a peek at the menu. Mike the chef owner was so nice. He brewed an espresso for the both of us and we chatted it up a bit. I'll be going soon.

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

It is a very unique place. Stick with the restaurant's specialties and you'll be a happy camper. The tagliatelle in a meat ragu is especially wonderful.

Nino and his wife are great once you get to know them. Also, let them know you want to take your time or you'll be in and out of there in 45 minutes.

And virtually no walk-ins, you need to make a reservation, at least on Friday's and Saturday's.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer