• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking Gifts For Me, Me, and Me

Marlene

Thanks for reminding me about the Thermapen. :raz: It is now on my Amazon wish list. Actually, it solves a thorny gift problem for the nephew.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I ordered the Thermapen when King Arthur flour first showed it in their catalog and it is terrific.

I also have one of the surface temp thermometers.

This one has worked perfectly well and is reasonably priced.

I find that it is especially useful in the barbecue grill and in the smoker where the temperature varies greatly from bottom to top and you can get a better idea of the temperature if you measure the temp of the inside rear wall.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

This built-in scale

is on my wish list.

I have so much stuff that most of my friends have given up on giving me anything other than gift cards. Many of the conversations I have with friends are somewhat convoluted when they are trying to find out if I have something or want something specific. It is often really funny because they mention that they have been looking at a particular item and I know quite well that they certainly aren't looking at it for themselves, because they rarely cook and would never use what they were talking about.

I keep telling my friends that I would rather just go to dinner with them and visit, rather than get a gift, but they seem to feel that they have to do something in return for the homemade stuff I give. This year I have included a card in the baskets that suggests they make a contribution to hurricane relief, or for the doggy bunch, to pet rescue instead of a personal gift to me. I have reached the saturation point that I will either have to get rid of some stuff or add another room on to the house.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

hmmmmm... the thermapen is intreguing... where is the best place to get one?

I got it for $79.00 more than a year ago but it is now $84.95 on all of the websites I have visited.

Chef's Resource usually discounts stuff like this but they have the same price as everywhere else.

I did both a BizRate and a PriceGrabber search and no one had it for less.

um, Andie, when you are looking for a place to get rid of some of your stuff............. :biggrin: I'm looking for a place to get the thermapen in Canada since I'm not sure if they'll ship sharp pointy objects over the border.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

. . .  I'm looking for a place to get the thermapen in Canada since I'm not sure if they'll ship sharp pointy objects over the border.

:laugh:

Amazon has it for the $84.95. I am pretty sure that there is Amazon.ca.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

There is most certainly an Amazon.ca. Unfortunately, all it sells are books, magazines and DVD's. Go figure. :angry:

Marlene

um, Andie, when you are looking for a place to get rid of some of your stuff............. :biggrin:  I'm looking for a place to get the thermapen in Canada since I'm not sure if they'll ship sharp pointy objects over the border.

It is difficult for me to part with some "stuff" - maybe it is psychological.

There was an hour long report on (I think) CNN last week about "hoarders" or "collectors" and they showed some video of people who had piles and piles of all kinds of junk, papers, clothes they couldn't put away because they weren't folded correctly. I thought those were pretty weird.

I grew up in a family who never threw anything away. I was born at the end of the depression and people, even those who were well off, had the mind set that one did not toss out useful items.

Fortunately I have always lived where I could keep whatever I wanted and I love collecting certain things and can afford them. I save very few magazines, I get so many they alone would fill the house in a couple of years.

I have given away a lot of small appliances over the years, mostly were gifts. If something doesn't work for me, I won't keep it, except for some oddball things that I think might become collectible simply because they aren't on the market very long.

I never throw away books. Books are a particular passion and cookbooks especially. I still have books that were given to me when I was a child and they are in good condition.

I never played with dolls and gave them away as soon as I got them.

Kitchen gadgets are also a particular passion and I have a lot of really old ones and some extremely odd ones. It is amazing what people have thought up over the years and some make more work than they save...

Anyway, that's my story and I am sticking with it, until they haul me away and stick me in a rubber room.

How about this cute little item.

Not very practical but really unusual.

i got my big ticket items last year (new assistent, grain mill, 8-ft kitchen island), so this year i'm going easy on the hubby:D

i just want some new baking sheets

and some new potholders -- the LOOONG ones -- i keep burning myself on the oven racks. 

a waring pro blender would be nice too... and a cuisinart waffler that flips.... and a box of all kinds and shapes of china pieces -- i have a china fetish! --  for my food blog.

Instead of potholders, how about these for protecting your wrists from the racks.

I have a very deep oven and use the extra long Nomex gauntlet gloves made by Coolskins

Coolskins

These are heavier than the "Ove Glove" and in my opinion are much better. I have ordered many times from this vendor in England and their services is excellent.

My problem is with reaching deep into the oven to lift out large pans and burning the backs of my wrists on the racks on the sides of the oven.

I posted on the technology thread:

The things that have made the biggest differences for me are accurate electronic scales and thermometers.

Besides the usual induction hobs, water baths, ISI whippers, wood fired brick bread oven, dehydrator/dessicator (which I have) here are some more unusual things not yet made it to my kitchen.

Wet grinder/stone edge mill: used in Asian cooking for idlies, vadas, dosas, and poories, but many applications to get those light textures http://www.innoconcepts.com/prideplus.htm

Ultrasonic emulsifier/homogeniser. http://www.biologics-inc.com/sonicator.htm I'm sure here is some mileage here. Many sauces are fat/liquid emulsions. Interesting things happen if the particle or droplet size is small enough. In the old days a cream maker emulsifier was sometimes used to make a cream from milk and butterfat. Many other combinationas are possible, such as bacon/red wine. Using modern technology I think a new range of sauces might be possible

Double screw extruder. http://www.dayijixie.cn/english/slg65_e.asp Many snack foods are made by extrusion of a starch mass through a heated double screw extruder, that kneads and condtions the starch in a way that is hard to reproduce otherwise. I'd love a domestic scale one

Tweedy vacuum mixer. http://www.apvbaker.com/bakery/tweedy.php

In commercial bakeries using a short-time dough system they feature high intensity mixing under air pressure and then vacuum to expand the dough. A domestic version would be interesting

I think this is going to be my year for small items. This garlic slicer is on my list because my kitchen is very poorly lighted, my eyes are aging faster than the speed of light, and I can't slice garlic without either a) slicing my fingertips or b) getting my face within a few inches of the cutting board. I'm a big believer in doing everything with a knife, instead of buying a drawerful of gadgets to accomplish the same thing, but I think I'm going to throw in the towel on this one.

I've also told my husband I'd like a food mill. (I'm having big dreams about tomato plants next summer.)

The final item is something I could use some advice on. What I really want is a chinois, but I really have no place to store it. So I'm thinking about these as a substitute. I don't have to strain sauces very much, and I've seen these up close, and they do have a really fine mesh. Opinions? Advice?

. . . . .

The final item is something I could use some advice on.  What I really want is a chinois, but I really have no place to store it.  So I'm thinking about these as a substitute.  I don't have to strain sauces very much, and I've seen these up close, and they do have a really fine mesh.  Opinions?  Advice?

I bought one very similar by ChefMate at Target. It has a much finer mesh than my other strainers. I have used it to strain stock, sauces and chili pepper puree and it works great. I think it was about $10 for the big one. You can use the back side of a ladle or I use this little jewel as a "pusher."

gallery_7796_409_1101608808.jpg

Sorry . . . Anco doesn't make them anymore. You might find one at a surplus place like TJMaxx or Marshall's. It is called a Garlic Smash. You turn it upside down to use as a pusher through the mesh. If you find some, let us know.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Dear Santa (or hubby/mommy/MIL),

I'd really like another Santoku hollow edge knife. I've never been more comfortable with a knife than I am with the one than I have now and it's a crappy Kitchen Aid. I also need a meat thermometer... bad.

Thanks.

Les

p.s. I'd also like some candy. I know that I just gorged myself on Halloween candy, but I'd really like some more.

Dear Santa (or hubby/mommy/MIL),

I'd really like another Santoku hollow edge knife.  I've never been more comfortable with a knife than I am with the one than I have now and it's a crappy Kitchen Aid.  I also need a meat thermometer... bad. 

Thanks.

Les

p.s.  I'd also like some candy.  I know that I just gorged myself on Halloween candy, but I'd really like some more.

Les,

This is one fantastic hollow edge Santoku, Mac truly does make some nice knives and they offer one of the best hollow edge santokus for the price:

http://www.macknife.com/professional.html

And here is some great eye candy:

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/images/assortm.../assortment.jpg

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

. . . . .

The final item is something I could use some advice on.  What I really want is a chinois, but I really have no place to store it.  So I'm thinking about these as a substitute.  I don't have to strain sauces very much, and I've seen these up close, and they do have a really fine mesh.  Opinions?  Advice?

I bought one very similar by ChefMate at Target. It has a much finer mesh than my other strainers. I have used it to strain stock, sauces and chili pepper puree and it works great. I think it was about $10 for the big one. You can use the back side of a ladle or I use this little jewel as a "pusher."

Sorry . . . Anco doesn't make them anymore. You might find one at a surplus place like TJMaxx or Marshall's. It is called a Garlic Smash. You turn it upside down to use as a pusher through the mesh. If you find some, let us know.

I only have a cheesy plastic mesh sieve like that, from the dollar store I think, and it works great (raspberries, gravy, etc.). I think a sturdy one would be even better.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Fantes has a large selection of chinois/strainers for very reasonable prices.

However, Linens 'N Things has some very inexpensive ones that are very fine mesh with plastic rim and handles. The only problem with them is that the white plastic discolors easily, particularly when straining blueberries, tomatoes, etc.

If you need to strain things extra fine, one of the regular strainers with the addition of the extra-fine cheesecloth (nothing like the cheesecloth normally found in grocery stores) will do an excellent job.

I'm looking for a place to get the thermapen in Canada since I'm not sure if they'll ship sharp pointy objects over the border.

Not the Thermapen, but this one reads in 8 seconds or less, and is only $23.50 Canadian.

Now that's interesting. I'll just go check that out. Thanks!

I think this is going to be my year for small items.  This garlic slicer is on my list because my kitchen is very poorly lighted, my eyes are aging faster than the speed of light, and I can't slice garlic without either a) slicing my fingertips or  b) getting my face within a few inches of the cutting board.  I'm a big believer in doing everything with a knife, instead of buying a drawerful of gadgets to accomplish the same thing, but I think I'm going to throw in the towel on this one.

I've also told my husband I'd like a food mill.  (I'm having big dreams about tomato plants next summer.)

The garlic slicer is just the kind of gadget I love. I hate slicing garlic and I've cut myself more times than I can count doing so.

I have the exact same strainer and it is a pretty fine mesh. If I need anything finer, I usually line it with some fine cheesecloth as Andisenji suggests and it's golden.

. . . . .

I want one of those! I use my pestle for smashing garlic at the moment!

Marlene