• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking Gifts For Me, Me, and Me

Marlene

Geez, you're all so fancy, I feel silly with my little list this year.

I want a really great apple slicer.

I secretly want a new teapot but the current one(stupid Crate & Barrel Copco!) is a gift from kiddle a few years ago, and I can't ask for a replacement, it would break her heart!

I want a really big pan, too. For frittatas and quick sauces. But, I'm too cheap for those big ticket ones, my instructions to kiddle are "spend less than $50 at TJMaxx!".

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I secretly want a new teapot but the current one(stupid Crate & Barrel Copco!) is a gift from kiddle a few years ago, and I can't ask for a replacement, it would break her heart!

Gee, it would really be a shame if you dropped the stupid Crate & Barrel Copco on Dec 23 or so. Santa could be clairvoyant! :rolleyes:

Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

You could always tell the kiddie that you're afraid of breaking it and would rather display it or keep it safe. Tell her you almost dropped it and at that point you realized you'd be heartbroken if something happened to it because she gave it to you.

Tell her the teapot you replace it with won't be nearly as good, but then, you won't care about breaking it either. Then display it in a nice place for a while until she forgets about it. :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

You guys are making me fall off my chair! :biggrin: I actually tried to 'lose' the kettle during our move from Florida last summer, it didn't get lost, though, as she astutely pointed it out to me and said "Mommy! Your special kettle from me!" The kettle is the first thing she ever bought me all by herself. I wish that I could use the kettle for a planter or something, but it is just horrid. Well, soon enough, she'll be off to her own place, and I'll bequeath the kettle to her, for the memories. Let her figure out that you burn yourself on the handle and it doesn't whistle.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Mauviel Professional Copper Saute Pans

Mauviel Professional Copper Skillets

Lussino Ice Cream Machine

all of which are "big ticket items", I realize .. but the thing I would most enjoy would be a trip to eat and learn culinarily somewhere in Europe ...  :biggrin:

I have several Mauviel pans and I love them but they don't cook any better or maybe not as good as All Clad. Woods

For those who are not determined to have new cookware be pristine these All Clad seconds are a great deal. You might not want to give them as wedding gifts, but if you're buying for yourself and don't mind a negligible scratch or so, these are great. I got a bunch a while back and whatever marks were there are now lost amid my dings of relatively careful everyday use.

Until Nov 6 they have a 20% discount on their normally low prices, bringing the cost down to about half of retail. I've found the salespeople very helpful and I suggest you call rather than use their online sales machinery as the 20 % sale is not noted on the website. I just ordered two 12" pans (one non-stick, one not) for about the price of one at regular retail. I'm assured that if they're too scratched etc for my taste I can exchange them.

My only relationship with them is as a customer.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

I may seem greedy, given what I know I'm getting, but I would also like a food mill, a kitchen scale, an Emile Henry pie plate, a Le Creuset Dutch oven...ooooh, and a popover pan!

All relatively small-ticket (save the Le Creuset), but space is as valuable as $$ in my little Manhattan apartment...

ETA: And a cake stand!

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I've been wanting one of those Bron mandolines for a while. I've come close to buying one on a number of occassions, but I just can't seem to justify paying full price for one, especially for a single use gadget.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I've been wanting one of those Bron mandolines for a while. I've come close to buying one on a number of occassions, but I just can't seem to justify paying full price for one, especially for a single use gadget.

I have one of those which I hardly use; instead I use my little cheap Japanese slicer all the time, propping it over a bowl where all the lovely little slices of cucumbers, etc fall.

Edited to add: The new toys on my list are a convection/toaster oven and a self cooling ice cream maker.

Edited by Mottmott (log)

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Dear Santa,

Thank you so much for all the wonderful cookbooks & gadgets I have gotten these past few years. Kitchen stuff is my my favorite present! :wub:

This year, I'd like a new pizza peel. My last one got lost somehow. That's pretty much it...

Well, if you happen to have some extra room in your sleigh, there are a few other things on my Christmas list I'd love to have, too.

Zojirushi Induction Heating System Rice Cooker & Warmer (10 cups)

Zojirushi Home Bakery Supreme Bread Machine

VillaWare 4-Square Belgian Waffler/Multi-Baker

Musso Lussino Dessert Maker

Nigella Lawson Multi Purpose Pot

Various cookbooks

Also, I'd like some room to store everything and the time to use them...

Thank you Santa, I hope you like the hot chocolate & carrot bar I set up for you and the reindeer! Watchout for those smoking chimneys - remember last year!

love and kisses,

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

If you want one at a bargain The Gadget Source

sells them for $99.00. They also carry the replacement blades which is how I found them.

My Bron is more than 30 years old and I paid about $70.00 for it, at a restaurant supply store.

The directions for use are not terribly clear but you can go to this site for some helpful hints.

And this site for more detailed pictures and instructions.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I wouldn't mind some full sheet pan sized Silpats for my rare candymaking enterprises. Actually, a couple new half-sheet Silpats would be good too--I could reserve them for pastry since I use the 2 I currently own for things like chicken all the time.

A really big marble board would be cool. I have one but it's not that big and I like serving cheeses on it. How about a couple of really large oval platters too? I have tons of medium ones but no huge ones. I also want a bunch o' chafing dishes, but that's for my catering bidness and not for me personally.

I'll be wanting a food grinder attachment for the Kitchen-Aid mixer in anticipation of baby arrival. There's no liquor on my wish list this year, for once, due to my condition. (I even have a nice bottle of bubbly lined up for when baby comes home.) Some new cookbooks are always welcome, though. I've wanted a copy of Larousse Gastronomique for many years. I'd also like Bouchon, the new one by Joan Nathan, the new On Food and Cooking, or any of a dozen other titles.

Thanks. :wub:

Mauviel Professional Copper Saute Pans

Mauviel Professional Copper Skillets

Lussino Ice Cream Machine

all of which are "big ticket items", I realize .. but the thing I would most enjoy would be a trip to eat and learn culinarily somewhere in Europe ...  :biggrin:

I also like the Bourgeat copper - the price for a set - at Chef Ron Askew's site

(scroll down a little past half-way on the page) is very reasonable. I bought the set last year for slightly less and find that the 11 inch brazier is an excellent substitute for a saute pan and the two handles work well for me because I can no longer lift a heavy saute pan with just my right hand.

The fact that these all come with lids is a bonus, as they are often sold separately. $845.00 is a real value, great bargain. I have some of the "professional" Mauviel also and they are virtually indistinguishable from the "Alliance" line of Bourgeat.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Geez, you're all so fancy, I feel silly with my little list this year.

I want a really great apple slicer.

I want a really big pan, too. For frittatas and quick sauces.  But, I'm too cheap for those big ticket ones, my instructions to kiddle are "spend less than $50 at TJMaxx!".

I have a collection of apple peeler/corer/slicers, some of which are over 100 years old.

The same design has been around for a long time because it works. The original one was invented by the Shakers and were painstakingly made entirely by hand and sold in their shops.

this one made by Villaware

is reasonably priced and works nicely.

You end up with a peeled apple sliced in a coil - you can make a single cut down one side to get rings or across both sides to get crescents. Another maker is Back to Basics but theirs is $25.00 and works the same. Both have vacuum bases - I use an older one which is a clamp-on but if I were buying one now I would get the vacuum base.

I've already gotten a nice ricer (:wub:) as an early Christmas gift. My list stands at a 2.5 qt. KitchenAid SS saucier, and reading above about a 5.5 qt. saucier, that's a very tempting thought...although there isn't any space to speak of in my cupboard. I really do need to move somewhere with a bigger kitchen. :biggrin:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

In the category of "items I'd probably take awhile to get around to purchasing unless I found them at a yard sale, but I'd use them once I had them...":

Grain mill (or such attachment for my VitaMix)

Huge stockpot

toaster oven (!)

But in the category of "items I think I really want, are kind of expensive so I haven't bought them yet, in reality I probably wouldn't use them as much as I ought to once I had them...":

pasta machine

GOOD ice cream maker

stand mixer

:-) While having a stand mixer would be nice, its just another damn appliance to have around. Ditto the ice cream maker. Viva la "steel bowl and whisking every 20 minutes in the freezer" method!

:laugh:

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

I may seem greedy, given what I know I'm getting, but I would also like a food mill,

Megan - I bought my scale from a place called saveonscales.com, the brand is myWeigh, model 3001 for $30(!) and it has a lifetime warranty.

So far I've been overjoyed with the accuracy of cooking by weight instead of volume.

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

i got my big ticket items last year (new assistent, grain mill, 8-ft kitchen island), so this year i'm going easy on the hubby:D

i just want some new baking sheets

and some new potholders -- the LOOONG ones -- i keep burning myself on the oven racks.

a waring pro blender would be nice too... and a cuisinart waffler that flips.... and a box of all kinds and shapes of china pieces -- i have a china fetish! -- for my food blog.

stefoodie.net - now a wheatless, eggless, dairyless food blog

noodlesandrice.com (with b5media)

bakingdelights.com (with b5media, and my 15-yo-dd)

My needs are modest. Just one little item is all I want:

40" Wedgewood Custom Color Cobalt Blue Classic Antique Stove

Why not go for the gold http://www.lacornue.com/an/prod1.htm the 180 model

with gold accents of course :wink:

OK, I'll take it! -- and I'll pay for it by renting out half of it as a self-storage unit. Or maybe as a studio apartment for very small people.