• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking Gifts For Me, Me, and Me

Marlene

my husband says it's easy to shop for me for Christmas. Of course it is. I give him a very detailed list. :biggrin: 90% of the things on my list are cooking toys. This year on my list are:

All Clad Deep Saute Pan with splatter screen

Chef's Choice 120 Sharpener Stainless Steel (I don't want to hear about it ok? :raz: )

Flip Waffler

Lodge's Biscut pan

Another popover pan

12 inch all clad stainless steel frying pan

All clad 5.5 quart saucier pot

A couple of Le Crueset trivets

a Le Cruset wrought Iron corner pot stand like this

And of course, assorted cookbooks.

Stocking stuffers for me would be good vanilla extract, vanilla beans, small pouch of fleur de sel, etc.

What's on your list this year?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Chef's Choice 120 Sharpener  Stainless Steel  (I don't want to hear about it ok? :raz: )

[snip]

I'm going to get a few pieces of All-Clad, too, Marlene. Which line are you asking for?

And though you don't want to hear about it, can I make a quiet little pitch for the Edge Pro knife sharpener? Best $125 I've ever spent on kitchen stuff, seriously.

[ducks]

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

You can make all the pitches you want. I've got my fingers in my ears. :raz: I really like the All Clad Stainless steel stuff. Especially the roasting pans. Almost all my stuff is this line, although I remember Sam making a great pitch for a saute pan, and now I can't remember which one it was or I might substitute that one on my list.

Marlene

my husband says it's easy to shop for me for Christmas.  Of course it is.  I give him a very detailed list. :biggrin:   90% of the things on my list are cooking toys.  This year on my list are:

Chef's Choice 120 Sharpener  Stainless Steel  (I don't want to hear about it ok? :raz: )

Flip Waffler

Lodge's Biscut pan

Another popover pan

Your AC s/s saucier, deep saute, and fry pans are all a great bargain right now at Cookware & More. Might share the link with dear hubby. Their cookware pieces are all "seconds" -- but you'd need a microscope to find any flaw. I've bought all my AC at this site and highly recommend it.

Edited by Steven Blaski (log)

Marlene . . . You might want to rethink the All-Clad roasting pan. About 3 years or more ago I gave one to my nephew. Williams-Sonoma had them on sale for $99. I was going to get one for myself this year and I have been informed that they are no longer the triclad but just single layer stainless and not all that heavy. Plus . . . They now want an outrageous $200 for the thing. A better choice is the Sur-la-Table brand that is triply and is only $100.

On my list is this beauty from Falk. I want the big one. That will probably be my present to myself after the holidays.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Marlene . . . You might want to rethink the All-Clad roasting pan. About 3 years or more ago I gave one to my nephew. Williams-Sonoma had them on sale for $99. I was going to get one for myself this year and I have been informed that they are no longer the triclad but just single layer stainless and not all that heavy. Plus . . . They now want an outrageous $200 for the thing. A better choice is the Sur-la-Table brand that is triply and is only $100.

On my list is this beauty from Falk. I want the big one. That will probably be my present to myself after the holidays.

fifi I bought my all clad roasting pans a few years ago and they are triclad. I've heard that about the new ones. The Sur la Table ones (of which there are no stores here), looks very much like the Caphalon roasting pans recommended by Cooks Illustrated. If I can find one of those, I'm going to get one for my sister in law this year. Whatever the brand, I can't stress enough the difference a stainless steel roasting pan makes over a non stick roasting pan. Said sister in law has one of those. I bring my roasting pans whenever I go visit. :biggrin:

Marlene

my husband says it's easy to shop for me for Christmas.  Of course it is.  I give him a very detailed list. :biggrin:  90% of the things on my list are cooking toys.  This year on my list are:

Flip Waffler

Lodge's Biscut pan

Another popover pan

Your AC s/s saucier, deep saute, and fry pans are all a great bargain right now at Cookware & More. Might share the link with dear hubby. Their cookware pieces are all "seconds" -- but you'd need a microscope to find any flaw. I've bought all my AC at this site and highly recommend it.

Steven, thanks for the link. I'll definately share it although i'll have to find out if they ship to Canada. Between the exchange rate and shipping costs, it might not be such a deal after all. :rolleyes:

Marlene

I have the 5.5 qt. saucier. Go to pan. Gave one to my mother, she in turn gave one to her other SIL. A go to pan, and one of the two or three most essential things in my kitchen.

Me, I want a maid (or a wife) and a Waring Pro deep fryer. And more dishes and some interesting serving pieces. Oh, and some cookbooks. The list keeps growing!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I want a butler/chef. Think Fritz in the Nero Wolfe books. And he has to be able to argue with me like Fritz does with Wolfe.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

.. but the thing I would most enjoy would be a trip to eat and learn culinarily somewhere in Europe ...  :biggrin:

That's what I'm getting! My mom is taking me to cooking school in Italy... :biggrin:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Megan, they really do need an envy green because, how wonderful is that!!! Italy any time of year is marvellous! I'd like another tagine and a couscoussiere. And Jeeves, please.

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

.. but the thing I would most enjoy would be a trip to eat and learn culinarily somewhere in Europe ...   :biggrin:

That's what I'm getting! My mom is taking me to cooking school in Italy... :biggrin:

Send details! :wink:

Oh, you know I will! They're going to LOVE me with my digital camera over there...for the actual cooking school portion, I think we're going with Divina Cucina in Florence (I really want the experience of shopping at the urban marketplace and cooking with the wares).

I'm very excited. I've never been to Italy, and I haven't been to Europe since the spring of 2000. We're not going till the fall of 2006 (schedules and weather preferences), but I will report back in full, I promise! :biggrin:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

This meat grinder is one of the things I would like.

The biggest thing for my kitchen I want, though, is better lighting.

I have one one of those, I should use it more often though.

They are super easy to use, and clean up is not that bad. Run some bread through it when your done and it'll make cleaning easier.

Due to space issues I am trying to keep the number of pans and appliances I ask for this year down, but I have noticed that ice cream makers are now down to a price point where the ones with their own freezing units are affordable (around $250). No more bucket in the freezer for me. :smile:

I have also had my eye on a deli slicer at some point. Would be nice to be able to slice leftover meats for sandwiches, as well as things like slab bacon, duck hams, etc.

Edited by mikeycook (log)

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

This meat grinder is one of the things I would like.

The biggest thing for my kitchen I want, though, is better lighting.

I have one one of those, I should use it more often though.

They are super easy to use, and clean up is not that bad. Run some bread through it when your done and it'll make cleaning easier.

That's an AWESOME idea!! Now see, that's why I read eGullet. :biggrin:

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

.. but the thing I would most enjoy would be a trip to eat and learn culinarily somewhere in Europe ...   :biggrin:

Please consider doing an eGullet blog about this. So many of us have wanted to do this, and we'd love to spend a few vicarious minutes reading about it!

If you are looking for a corner cookware stand, there is this one.

Not as fancy as the Le Cruset one but it works quite well. I can get my huge Staub oval roaster on the bottom shelf. It is also a lot cheaper.

The new Williams-Sonoma catalog arrived in the mail on Tuesday and I have been perusing it cover to cover. Ditto the new Chef's Catalog, Cooking Enthusiasts, The Knife Merchant, Cooking.com, Chef's Resource and several others that are limited to nuts, cheeses (Cabot, for instance), meats and spices.

Since I know more are to come, if there is something I think I might want, I simply tear the page out of the catalog and save just that, otherwise I would soon be knee-deep in catalogs.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Well, I just got all the pans in a pre-Christmas blow out. My list is full of cookbooks this year. Of cource, GC's to any cooking store is a great gift!

Marlene, I love your stocking stuffer suggestions! And Megan, wowie zowie! Now that is an awesome gift...the gift that keeps on giving! I second the "blog" but I doubt you'll have the time/energy to do it. A trip report would be sooo vicariously wonderful! Color ME green with envy too!

I always want AllClad, and there are some great prices on that site. I have a question for all you AC fans, before I hand my list to Santa. I cook for a client who has the LTD line, and I LOVE to cook in that stuff. It cooks perfectly, and washes up great, with virtually no sticking. However, she won't let me put it in the dishwasher, says it makes the black exterior look funny. Do any of you have that experience? Since my husband does the dishes, there's no way I can ask for pots that require hand washing, which he regards as an activity on a par with shoving splinters under his toenails.

I always want AllClad, and there are some great prices on that site.  I have a question for all you AC fans, before I hand my list to Santa.  I cook for a client who has the LTD line, and I LOVE to cook in that stuff.  It cooks perfectly, and washes up great, with virtually no sticking.  However, she won't let me put it in the dishwasher, says it makes the black exterior look funny.  Do any of you have that experience?  Since my husband does the dishes, there's no way I can ask for pots that require hand washing, which he regards as an activity on a par with shoving splinters under his toenails.

Exterior is anodized aluminum. Dishwasher soap will eat it up. Never put any aluminum or copper in a dishwasher.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321