• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Baguette in Montreal

Vinfidel

all this talks about the best butter with lait cru is making me hungry for a nice baguette in montreal

i have been buying the ones at pain dore not because they are amazing but they are fresh and near my office

who is the best producer?

i love the bread of olive & gourmando but i never had a bagueette there. do they make one?

i love to have a baguette with lots of butter and then dip it into a nice cup of tea with lots of milk and sugar

I go for the one at Première Moisson at JTM, I ask for "bien cuite", well cooked/baked; so that it's really crispy; sometimes they have to go to the back room to get one or two extras.

I also tried the "new-ish" bakery on the corner of St-Urbain and Mont-Royal ( south-west corner ), they have baguette made with "retrodor" flour that was ok; but I have to go back at "normal" hours ( not 5 minutes before closing ) to get a fresh one.

Fromentier Baguettes are very nice. I am embarrased to say but I've never been to the bakery - on Laurier I believe - but Qui Lait Cru at JTM carries it. They have a version with spelt flour and another version using goat milk + of course "regular".

I think I prefer them to (standard) Premier Moisson.

And you have the butter right there....

/gth

I used to go to" L'amour du pain" in boucherville to get the "retrodor " baguette , so I am glad to see that it is now avalable on the island !

The baguette a l'amour du pain was the closest I had to a parisian baguette , and the rest of there offering seemed very interesting !

393, rue Samuel de Champlain in Boucherville.

450-655-6611

visit my fondation: www.ptitslutins.org

I started a food blog : http://antoniodelaruepapineau.blogspot.com/

(in french)

Le Fromentier all hands down.

sf&m, you have to visit the Laurier Street location as they have a wider selection of bread and pastries for breakfast. The Empereur croissant, which is an almond croissant mixed with chocolatine, is to die for. They also have really good pizzas.

And as if that weren't enough, they share the location with La Queue de cochon that carries a lot of saugages and one of the best home smoked bacon I've ever tried. There's also a cheese store in the same building.

if you guys ever get the chance, try the baguette 36 heures from Pain Dore. it is so nice and crunchy, crispy, chewy, that it does any butter (but especially unsalted, cultured butter :wub: ) full justice...

it is allowed to rise for 36 hours (hence the name) in a fridge, and so is tangy and gorgeous...

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen