• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michelin Guide 2006

It wasn't when JC was in the kitchen, I'm pretty sure of that. I'll ask Mike for the details.

edited to add : I agree with the quality of the brigade. :)

Edited by culinary bear (log)

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

It was Clive Dixon who gained the Micelin Star for LOTM. John Campbell retained it when Clive left. Then when John left the Lords he retained Billy Reids Michelin star at The Vinyard, and Toby Hill retained the Lords star for a while!

I think the current chef Les Rennie deserves one, very competent cooking.

Does anyone have the release date for the 2006 Michelin Guide?

Feverish gossip will fly for three days before that, most of which will be cobblers. Some, on the monkeys and typewriters principle, will turn out to be true.

I've already heard that there is going to be a new 3 star (Capital or LMQS?) and a new London 2 star which will be an Italian.

'Ere - weren't you spreading unfeasibly optimistic rumours last year as well? :laugh: Although if New York get Le Bernadin, I suppose we deserve something equitable.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

And Les Rennie had a star at Ynyshir Hall. I would have thought it's likely that the current incumbent there, Adam Simmonds will regain theirs this time around - He certainly merits it.

Edited by Simonw (log)

Yes I was spreading gossip last year as well. I've learnt to take all rumours regarding Michelin with a pinch of salt wherever they come from :rolleyes:

A pinch of quatre epice, shurely? :raz:

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Getting Michelin predicitions right isn't that important to me. Yes, it's always nice if it does happen, but I'm not going to worry too much about it. Having a board full of happy punters days after day is what it's really all about.

It was Clive Dixon who gained the Micelin Star for LOTM. John Campbell retained it when Clive left. Then when John left the Lords he retained Billy Reids Michelin star at The Vinyard, and Toby Hill retained the Lords star for a while!

I think the current chef Les Rennie deserves one, very competent cooking.

We ate there when Toby Hill was in charge of the kitchen. Whilst the food was very able and competent- the service was wholly incompetent.

Being left in the lounge for twenty minutes waiting for a drink, whilst the front house just chatted away to another couple did not set us up for a relaxed evening. I would not have minded quite as much if there had been other guests waiting- but there werent. It was just us. We then waited another hour to be seated. Another highlight was watching them bring my Lobster out and Rosie's Salmon dish- except it wasn't salmon. So both dishes were whisked away, with an apology about how each dish has to be served perfectly and at the correct temperature. Ok we thought and then watched in horror as the same two staff came out one minute later and gave them to the people two tables down from us. When my main course did finally arrive the poor girl stood at the door, with our food on her tray, waiting for the more experienced chaps to bring the food to our tables. Except they were all chatting away. At this point, I was rising from the table to go and get my own food and bring it to the table - when the missus stuck her talons into my thigh with a vice-like grip, to prevent me from making a scene. A shame the food when we got it was pleasant, especially my lobster dish; but I remember predicting that if the did not pull their socks up, re service, they would lose a star the following year. and lo' behold they did.

Edited by Bapi (log)

I've already heard that there is going to be a new 3 star (Capital or LMQS?) and a new London 2 star which will be an Italian.

if new 2* i predict Foliage (not italian) - had lunch last week to compensate for worst xmas/new year, ever - outstanding for a mere £25

just please don't let it be locatelli

Predict Petrus 2*

Andy - Do you think Apicius will gain a star, or will Michelin hold back like they seem to do on recently open places? I really need to get down to the restaurant, seeing as its only 45 min drive. As every year with the guide no one really knows what to expect, apart from the unexpected expected?!?

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper

Andy - Do you think Apicius will gain a star, or will Michelin hold back like they seem to do on recently open places?

Apicius have the advantage of being open about a year when the guide went to press and being a husband and wife owned venture which means that they are unlikely to sell up anytime soon so Michelin won't be stuck with an out of date guide entry.

Michelin have given stars to places open less than a year - Black Pig and New Angel - and while this is Tim Johnson's first solo venture, he'll be known to the guide from his work at Chapter One and Chez Nico. I think the signs are good as the food is worth the mark in my estimation and although I've only visited once, there is a good chance it's consistant as there is only Tim in the kitchen.

Having said all that, who knows?

if you want a prediction for 2007, Number 6 in Middle Street Padstow.

Just read in the Caterer that the head chef is Paul Ainsworth, former senior sous at Petrus and that he has a kitchen full of ex-Petrus boys and front of house from The Boxwood. Could be interesting...

The Ebb was on the market 6 months after they opened, didn't sell.They did another season, then put it back on the market.

The Old Grain Store is just right for you Matthew, good location, lots of potential, not stupidly priced.Rents about £15 k i think.First time it's been on the market in about 15 years.

I think there's a mistake in the Caterers bit abour Number 6, the asking price was £650,000, i don't know where they got £1.2 million from.Really glad about Number 6's new owners, nice bunch of people.They reopen in Feb.

...and of course i'm always open to offers in excess on £1 million for my place :raz:

I talk myself out if it every 5 minutes, one day it'll get the better of me.

Oh go on, go on, go on, Sir. If the pasty Yorkshire man-Marshall can do it :biggrin:

And he is working soo hard too. I left him a message about an imminent visit to his Pub next week. Text response" Hi mate, what can I do for you I am in Barbados" :shock: Bastard :raz: