• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michelin Guide 2006

Its only November!!!

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

• 2 weeks later...
What are your predictions? whos going up and whos going down?

I Think Tom Aikens 2* Petrus 2* would like to see le manior get 3*!

Don't we predict upgrades to Petrus and Le Manoir every year? I suppose it might happen eventually.

Based on my two meals at Petrus over the last year I would find it logical if Waering lost the star he has. Both meals were unacceptable for any only half-serious restaurant without any star ambitions with the second meal particularly appalling that I surely would give a rating below 9/20 to. I thought the meal would climax with an overcooked, dry, tough-textured, reheated and rather nasty tasting shoulder of lamb served at barely lukewarm temperature with disingenuous garniture but it was toppled by a sad cheese trolley and the following dessert. The cheese trolley was well below the generally always-disappointing state of the cheeses at the top London restaurants, even if it had some way to reach the deplorable cheese selection at the Foliage also experienced this year and which was a solid 0/20.

When my glass is full, I empty it; when it is empty, I fill it.

Gastroville - the blog

Maybe - as British people - we're missing the long held opportunity to look at this from the reverse angle of "we're rubbish, why does the world hate us, he can't cook to save his life, Michelin are probably going to sail off into the sunset anyway and rightly so!"

So, to start, Gordon to lose a star?

Scotland declared Dinner non grata?

Yorkshire relegated to 'Interesting Ethnic' Food?

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

As the guide has gone to press, I don't think its too early to be thinking about this now.

Here's my guesses:

Aubergine 2 stars

Le Poussin at Whitely Ridge 1 star

The Ledbury 1 star

Ynyshir Hall 1 star

Apicius 1 star

i'd be suprised if the ledbury got one straight away, given michelin's general desire to see restaurants settle down for a year or so, despite their quality.

as it was birmingham's year last year it would be nice to see Leeds officially recognised with a star apiece for Anthony's and No3 York Place, though both seem to be getting along quite nicely without them at the moment!

results are usually officially announced feb time aren't they?

you don't win friends with salad

i'd be suprised if the ledbury got one straight away, given michelin's general desire to see restaurants settle down for a year or so, despite their quality.

Unless you happen to open in New York.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

any views on midsummer house's rating? I didn't really get why michelin had it on a par with places like the capital and the square from a recent visit, although I must confess we ordered a la carte rather than the tasting menu.

Edited by adt (log)

Ian

I go to bakeries, all day long.

There's a lack of sweetness in my life...

I'd LOVE to see Marshall's face if Ledbury gets a * and Anthonys doesn't  :raz:

platts-martin certainly has the pedigree so i'm sure they'll get one eventually.

i think tony's happy enough with two full restaurants, a star would be icing on the cake.

it would be good to see a few new rising stars honoured rather than an established generation in new venues receiving the gongs.

you don't win friends with salad

If the Square is two stars, the Midsummer House is at least two stars.

MSH is in a splendid setting, with a comfortable dinning room (avoid the main house and ask for the conservatory), infinitly more accomplished (and daring) food and staff that make you feel very welcome.

The Square is virtually the opposite. My meal wasn't bad, but neither was it memorable. I'm convinced it keeps its two stars soley because of its wine list.

Haven't been to Petrus since it was in St James. Again not memorable: one star quality at three star prices.

The New Angel in Dartmouth deserves one star simply because of the quality of the ingredients. The scallops and crab are to die for. But you pay for it.

I would imagine that MG politics would dictate that London must have at least one three star restaurant. So I think GR@RHR is safe for a few years.