• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mexican Restaurants in TO?

sadistick

Gonzo's on O'Connor at St. Clair is a little hole in the wall and I've had some decent stuff there. If you want it spicy, it'll be really spicy but they always ask. I've had some decent tacos al pastor at El Trompo on Augusta.

Please keep us posted on your search. Hmmm, craving mexican food now.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I absolutely love Mariachi's, which is on the west side of Yonge between Davisville and Eglinton. I've had Mexican food elsewhere in the city that was entirely forgettable, but Mariachi's is always good.

We've had a similar thread before. I think all the good Mexican options in Toronto were mentioned there - in fact, that thread probably covers all of the Mexican options in TO

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

I haven't gone and revisited the older thread.

There's at least one, and possibly two or three Mexican places on Dundas around Keele. I haven't been in a while (like 3 or 4 years) and a couple have come and gone and come again (as of last weekend although I was just driving by) so I can't tell you how they are.

Is the place on Royal York that Now gave a 5N review still around? Can't remember what it was called.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

Ok, so excuse my memory here, because I had a few too many margharitas at this place, but its a mexican joint on King St just east of spadina...opposite mountain equipment co-op...my gf and I were looking at it, deciding whether or not to go to our trusty 'Princess Thai' instead, but there was this lady sitting outside having a smoke, with an apron on...I wondered out loud about seeing a menu, and she pointed me in the right direction, decided to give it a try...

Came in, found out she was one of the co-owners with her husband who we found out was from mexico...She urged me to have a margharita saying it was well known, and boy am I glad I did...they have all sorts made daily with FRESH fruit, I had this lime and rasberry one which was amazing...

My gf had Steak Tacos which was very good, I had the Mole and Chicken enchiladas which was very tastey as well! Not the cheapest, came out to $50 for both of us after tax, I figured for mexican it would be cheaper...but VERY good...

Ill get back with the name when it comes to me =)

Ok, so excuse my memory here, because I had a few too many margharitas at this place, but its a mexican joint on King St just east of spadina...opposite mountain equipment co-op......

Ill get back with the name when it comes to me =)

Banditos?

Yup, Banditos it was! Cesar is the husband of the lady who was so nice who helped us out...Guess ill have to try the chile rellenos next time!

I also REALLY want to try their Cactus pear margharitta...Used to have them when we had our place in Scottsdale, never seen one since!

Has anyone been to El Rincon Mexicano?  (South side of StClairW near Christie.)

I think I went there years ago.  But a little too long to remember well, though I think it was good.

Is that the former El Palenque maybe?

I heard somewhere that Maria, the owner of El Palenque, had changed the name of her restaurant and that El Palenque was reborn under different ownership a few blocks west. Is that confusing enough?

A few more Mexican places that I don't believe have been mentioned. Margaritas on Baldwin (and they used to have another on Gerard near Parliament - they may still). There's Plaza Garibaldi on the Danforth in Greektown. And on Yonge just north of Bloor, with another location run by the same folks on Bathurst way up around the 401 in an area that is largely Jewish. I can't for the life of me remember what they're called at the moment, but I believe they have the same name at both locations. There's also a place on Isabella just east of Yonge.

So, there's actually quite a few out there. I've eaten at almost all of them at one time or another. Can't say I have a favourite though.

There's also a fish and chips/ Mexican place on Dufferin between Eg & Lawrence. That place I do not recomend.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

Is that the former El Palenque maybe?

I heard somewhere that Maria, the owner of El Palenque, had changed the name of her restaurant and that El Palenque was reborn under different ownership a few blocks west.

Sorry! I don't know. :sad: