• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Let the Paranoia Begin

d.hawksworth

For all NYC Restauranters/Chefs

Am I serving 1, 2, 3 star quality food? Or no star quality on this plate that is going out right now!

Is that table that just sat down a Michelin guide? Why would a lone diner at 2pm book for lunch? Are they inspectors?

Do NY’ers care?

Do I really care?

What if I lose a star? Do I get sacked?

What are those FOH doing standing around ignoring that customer who booked at 2pm? Don’t they realize who it might be?

So, if I lose a star – who would want to work here? Does my staff care??

If I get a Michelin star or two, will that put people off coming to the restaurant? – will they stay “Oh it’s a Michelin type restaurant and way too stuffy, let’s go somewhere else”

Should I tell the guide I don’t want to be rated?

Will my business increase because I just got a 1, 2, 3 rating? Should I try and get a star? How much will it cost to change what I do to get one? What if I invest all that money and get a star and then lose it?

Some thoughts that should be running in and out of your head every few seconds

David

Edited by d.hawksworth (log)

David, easy on the mind altering substances, man. Are you sure those mushrooms were the edible kind?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Oh no, what if my 3 stars in NY don't mean the same thing in NY as if they would in Paris?

And, what if perception is reality?

What if I opened a pizza place and no one came for take-out slices?

Oh, perception IS reality...

Everyone is going to be just fine... Business is business

Thank you Abra!

I worked in this type of environment for 9 and a bit years, its funny how it changes a restaurant. There is a lot of pressure on the kitchen to produce a consistent quality – from within the brigade. It’s like a black mark on your resume if you were working in the restaurant when it lost a star.

For instance – if you were looking for work and your existing employer just gained a star versus losing one. The cook/waiter from the gaining restaurant has a huge advantage when getting a new job.

DH

Edited by d.hawksworth (log)

For all NYC Restauranters/Chefs

Am I serving 1, 2, 3 star quality food? Or no star quality on this plate that is going out right now!

Is that table that just sat down a Michelin guide? Why would a lone diner at 2pm book for lunch? Are they inspectors?

Do NY’ers care?

Do I really care?

What if I lose a star? Do I get sacked?

What are those FOH doing standing around ignoring that customer who booked at 2pm? Don’t they realize who it might be?

So, if I lose a star – who would want to work here? Does my staff care??

If I get a Michelin star or two, will that put people off coming to the restaurant? – will they stay “Oh it’s a Michelin type restaurant and way too stuffy, let’s go somewhere else”

Should I tell the guide I don’t want to be rated?

Will my business increase because I just got a 1, 2, 3 rating? Should I try and get a star? How much will it cost to change what I do to get one? What if I invest all that money and get a star and then lose it?

Some thoughts that should be running in and out of your head every few seconds

David

That is incredibly hilarious, but so insightful. Those little annoying voices of self-doubt.

I hear it all the time from chefs.

"Was the skate any good?"

"What did you/they think of the food?" "What did they say about me?" "What did they write about me"? "Was the sauce okay?" "What did you really think of it?"

Absolutely crazy making. Any good manager or PR person can nip that in the bud for you unless they suffer from the same malady!