• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese vegetables

judyfoodie

Does anyone know if there are Chinese/Asian vegetable farms in the tri-state area? A friend said that they're actually not grown in the U.S. but in south america. Also, if there are farms which grow chinese veggies, are any of them organic? Thanks!

Does anyone know if there are Chinese/Asian vegetable farms in the tri-state area? A friend said that they're actually not grown in the U.S. but in south america.  Also, if there are farms which grow chinese veggies, are any of them organic? Thanks!

I see cartons marked with tri-state locations in the shops in NY's Chinatown. I am not aware of any organic farmers growing Chinese vegetables in the region, but I'm not in a position to know much about those things. I also see cartons from California and South America, but it's an overstatememt to single out anyone source. If there are organic farmers of Chinese vegetables, my guess is that they command a premium price and won't be found in the average markets. In fact, they may be selling to organic and health food stores serving a non-ethnic market. There are some Chinese vegetables (as if vegetables have a nationality) selling in the Greenmarket and there are more than a few organic farmers there, but I haven't tried to put the two together.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

In the spring I read an article about Warwick/Pine Island NY area farmers and how some of their help is Asian and starting plots of their own with specialty veg.

I dont remember where the story was but maybe the folks at Bobolink in Vernon would have more local info.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association