• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: bergerka - An opera about cooking, with pictures

bergerka

Au contraire, suzilightning. Like a good rehearsal pianist :wink: , Eric has done an excellent job keeping Kathleen on the straight and narrow. Kathleen, how many pieces of chocolate have you had during this foodblog? How many would you normally have?

As I mourn the end of the world, I mean Kathleen's foodblog, I've really enjoyed this week. Great opera, great food, from a great person (That's you, Kathleen!!). :biggrin:

Don't stop the music. Don't stop the cooking either.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

I'm shocked - SHOCKED - that Eric would say such a thing. He's a delicate flower, you know.

It was mussels for five, Eric_Malson, SarahD, special guest michaeldauphinais, in town from AZ, Charlie the coolest roommate, and me.

I realized that there had been not one stinky cheese incident in this whole blog. This had to be remedied. So while I was at Fairway, buying the mussels and being laughed at by the fish guys, I picked up some St. Andre (not stinky, but buttery rich) and some ripe, smelly Le Fournols, which is supposedly what Chaumes was like before it was factory made. I would not know.

SarahD had brought some baguettes from the Silver Moon Bakery over to have with the mussels, so we used some of one for the cheese.

gallery_8920_3_315875.jpg

While the mussels were rinsing, waiting to be scrubbed, I made some Twentieth Century cocktails. The consensus recipe was 1.5 gin to .5 each of lemon juice, lillet blanc and white creme de cacao, so that's what we went with. Mmmmm...just right.

gallery_8920_3_351915.jpg

I scrubbed all the mussels with a scotch-brite pad, yanked out the beards, and put them in a colander to drain.

gallery_8920_3_455461.jpg

Then, in a big copper pan, I put about 16 oz of Hoegaarden, five or six whole cloves, 1 teaspoon of mustard seed - I had to skip the coriander called for in the recipe, as - oops - we didn't have it. I bought mustard seed, but um...we already had plenty of that - some red pepper flakes, some salt, 2 bay leaves and 2 lemon wedges.

I brought the liquid to a boil and let it boil, partially covered, for two minutes.

gallery_8920_3_400268.jpg

Then I dumped in the mussels, stirred them around and covered the pan. At this point it occurred to me that this is the first time I have ever personally killed my food.

After about six minutes (there were a lot of mussels), they had all opened and were smelling delicious. I chopped up some parsley and sprinkled it on.

gallery_8920_3_800843.jpg

Then I brought over the pan to the table and we all dug in! Here's my plate, complete with baguette for the dipping liquid and a glass of Hoegaarden.

gallery_8920_3_132670.jpg

They were very good - I would have liked the beer and the spices to permeate the ones at the top a little more, but now that I know how freakin' easy these are, I'll be making them much more often.

That's my blog! Thanks so much, all - your encouragement, support and great suggestions have left me feeling much more confident about just diving in and cookin' away. I'll be checking in for as long as this thread is open.

The ferrets and I wish you all a great and good night!

gallery_8920_3_240298.jpg

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

SarahD had brought some baguettes from the Silver Moon Bakery over to have with the mussels, so we used some of one for the cheese.

Sigh...I miss Silver Moon! It seems a world away from my current abode on the UES.

Fabulous blog, Kathleen! And talk about going out with a bang - the mussels look excellent. Well done! Say g'night to the ferrets for us. :biggrin:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Girl, for someone who claims that she can't cooked, you've cooked up a mighty fine week's worth of food, most of it while entertaining to boot!

I've loved your blog.... your casual, witty writing style as well as your three lovely boys who are oh, so cute. Thanks so much for sharing your week with us. And I hope you've been a little less lonely in Sam's absence with all of us crowding your kitchen! :wink:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

The curtain has closed on our leading soprano's lovely aria and the audience is on their feet in a sign of respect for her talents. A standing ovation for sure Kathleen! Bravissima! @}--,-'----- (a rose)

Will there be an encore? Dinner tomorrow? Ah, likely not soon, as we must move on to our next talented kitchen maven.

Thanks again K!!!

Brava, to our lovely soprano and hostess for a week's worth of fine cooking, outings and reports. Well done Kathleen! That "I can't cook" stuff is a nice cover story, but we all know the truth now. You've availed yourself admirably.

And the ferrets are just so cute! Hugs to the weasel babies. They make me miss my former pets very much.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Sometimes you're the hot skillet, sometimes you're the hash, Sam.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Just wanted to add that I've very much enjoyed this blog......

Kathleen.... you surely can cook! :biggrin:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Thank you, Kathleen! Sam's blessed to have you, in his life, drinking his booze. We've all thoroughly enjoyed your blog, even us lurkers (me and kiddle). Brava!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

kathleen, I so enjoyed your blog..

I'm glad the musseladventure went well!

And what a lovely picture of you smothered in ferrets. So cute.

Please keep on cooking and sharing your experiences with the rest of us, somewhere on EGullet!

Edited by Chufi (log)

I would just like to point out that while Kathleen has been making drinks with my booze and cooking delicious food, I've had to content myself with a bowl of cereal after rehearsal. :angry:

Hey sweetie? If you start the bean soup in the crock pot in the morning, it'll be done by the time you get home. Just cook them till they're done...

*ducks and runs* :raz: :raz: :raz:

Don't worry, Sam - after cramming a month's worth of eating into one week, I'll be joining you in the cereal for dinner choice! Well, I HAD lost four pounds... :blink:

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Thanks for a great blog! We all had a great time watching you flex your cooking muscles.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Great blog, Kathleen. Damn, I miss New York...

Thank you for confirming for those not in the know, that "assload" is indeed a measurement.

:wink:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Great blog, Kathleen. Damn, I miss New York...

Thank you for confirming for those not in the know, that "assload" is indeed a measurement.

:wink:

Of course it is. It is a unit of volume about as large as your largest individual poop... which as we all know is the corpse of previous meals--so this is still food-related :raz:

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Even though I noticed that dumplings were conspicuously missing, you performed fabulously. Your inner Diva has shown through, yet again, Kathleen.

Thanks for your ferreting out food, entertainment, and more beer for me to try.