• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: bergerka - An opera about cooking, with pictures

bergerka

No, no, Sam should not go away more often. I MISS him!!!! :sad:

Oy. Just returned from Tropical. The other two guys bailed, so it was just Eric and me. How would we ever do justice to it????

I think we did just fine. I didn't get a pic of the outside - was too darned hungry to wait, and afterward, um, the camera battery had run out. I'm hoping it's just charged enough now to upload these pix.

There were many, many more meats than these presented tonight - this is just a sampling.

Here's the salad bar. No hot dish tonight, but they had all kinds of good stuff on there - snap pea salad, two different potato salads, peas with onion, hard-boiled eggs, a bunch of cool different veggies. Obviously, the point is to eat as little salad as possible, but that's difficult when some of the choices are this good.

gallery_8920_3_726261.jpg

Here's my salad plate. Looks pretty sparse, but again, I wanted to taste a lot of stuff while not filling up!

gallery_8920_3_281295.jpg

One really can't go to a rodizio without having at least one caipirinha. I had two. Had to make sure that the hangover was really killed off, you know.

gallery_8920_3_328000.jpg

The first meat brought out was a lovely prime rib.

gallery_8920_3_113299.jpg

I said "rare," but I think the guy thought I meant "mostly fat."

gallery_8920_3_461823.jpg

This is sausage on one skewer, bacon-wrapped turkey on the other. I wanted to show you this because no other rodizio I have been to can make this very well - it's usually dry, overcooked, obviously not much care taken. Not at Tropical. It's juicy (you have to be really careful with the sausage especially, as it has a tendency to drip VERY HOT JUICE down your chin), flavorful and really delish.

gallery_8920_3_140958.jpg

Here are the sides, next to my plate o'prime rib fat and the BIG SAUSAGE I was then eating. as you can see, there is the yucca powder stuff (what is that called, anyway?), fried yucca, the salsa to go with the powder, black beans, rice (behind the water) and fried sweet plantains (my favorite).

gallery_8920_3_81179.jpg

Here's lamb with rosemary. Again, at all the other rodizios I've been to, the lamb has an unpleasantly gamey taste and slightly funky texture. Not here...it's juicy and delicious, very sweet.

gallery_8920_3_421650.jpg

Here is picanha, rare, juicy, tender and full of flavor.

gallery_8920_3_56633.jpg

Here is filet mignon wrapped in bacon - for me, this was the one failure of the night. It was overcooked and a little tough. Oh well. Fortunately, they brought out flank steak and more picanha right afterward. Unfortunately, that's when the camera battery died, but I think this gives you an idea of what we had.

gallery_8920_3_333103.jpg

I can't believe I have to be up in six hours and 39 minutes. Tomorrow is one of my long days, 8:30-6:30 in the office, oy vey. Fortunately, the partner is in India, so it shouldn't be that busy. I'll try to have some interesting work food for my last day of blogging (I can't believe how fast this week has gone!) and tomorrow night I will make mussels.

Good night, everyone!

K

Edited by bergerka (log)

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Oy. Just returned from Tropical. The other two guys bailed, so it was just Eric and me.

They bailed out on you?? What can be said? Cosi fan tutte :rolleyes:

I wouldn't have mind taking one of their places. Mind you, I have to be good: I have an appointment this week with my cardiologist. So, a virtual meal with MEAT will have to do. :sad:

I'll try to have some interesting work food for my last day of blogging (I can't believe how fast this week has gone!) and tomorrow night I will make mussels.

Your last day of blogging??!! :shock: Do you mean tomorrow is "the end of the world" and then Valhalla?

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Oy. Just returned from Tropical. The other two guys bailed, so it was just Eric and me.

They bailed out on you?? What can be said? Cosi fan tutte :rolleyes:

[...]

I think that would be cosi fan tutti, in this case. Which is essentially Mozart's point, anyway, isn't it? :wink:

Michael aka "Pan"

Pan's nailed it, rjwong - it'd be Così fan tutti-frutti...or something.

ACK! Overslept! :shock::shock: Thank heavens the partner IS in India, as I can just imagine running in late and saying "but you don't understand...sure, the alarm went off, but I had a warm sleepy ferret curled up right next to my head and it was just so comfy..."

No time for cappuccino, just made it into the shower, out of the shower, barely time to thank goodness for a closet full of clothes that all match and a haircut that can be blow-and-go and still look good if I need it to, raced through the voting booth to do my civic duty, and dashed into a downtown 1 train just as the doors were closing. The trains were bizarrely cooperative, though, and I still got in right on time...and had time to take some pictures of a couple of my favorite breakfast places along the way. Those will come later, but I'll describe them now.

Coffee from the cart in New York City varies widely in quality, as anyone who lives here can tell you. I think I have found the best one anywhere in town, though. The guys on the southeast corner of 40th and Park (right by the building where I work), who still refuse to tell me their names (but they know mine! They say they like to remain mysterious. They're adorable) after four years, make some seriously excellent hot coffee and, in summer, probably the best iced coffee around. They're my go-to guys on mornings when I need an extra jolt or (like...um...today) haven't had time or beans for a cappuccino. This morning I got a large with milk and one sugar - and they REALLY know just the right proportions to make it creamy but still strong and sweet but not too sweet. :wub:

These are the coffee cart guys:

gallery_8920_3_612334.jpg

Right next to them is a relatively new addition to our corner (since, I think, this summer), the Fruit Shake cart. You can get about 30 different kinds of fruit and vegetable shakes (one of these days I'm going to try the apple-ginger-cucumber), with, if you like, protein powder, or ginseng, or bee pollen, or any of about ten nutritional supplements. I truly love the strawberry-banana shake (or the "Good morning," as they call it) and that's what I got today - I'm not hungry, after last night, but I know that with very little sleep and an overindulgence of food and drink I really need to get something into my stomach or I'll be VERY sorry in about an hour or two.

The fruit shake guy

gallery_8920_3_215129.jpg

The fruit shake truck

gallery_8920_3_879798.jpg

The breakfast of champions! Coffee and a fruit shake.

gallery_8920_3_322445.jpg

Hey Herb - I'll still be cooking for another couple of weeks, want to come to dinner?

K

Edited by bergerka (log)

There were many, many more meats than these presented tonight - this is just a sampling.

Que delicioso!

K, Tropical looks outstanding. Thanks for the pics. Made me realize how long it's been since I've been to one of these.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Kathleen & Eric- we made your foursome complete...from Arizona. :biggrin: Did you have a favorite offering? Actually, your place looked much better than mine. We have 2 rodizios that I know of here: Rio el Sabor is the one we tried last night. I have to say that the other one blows this away! This had a very small salad bar , maybe 10 feet long and 5 chafing dishes with hot items. The food was fine, but only the pork ribs jumped out as being fantastic. I think there were a total of 7 different meats passed. :sad: Ok, Ok, still got full though, but we'll have to stick to Fogo e Brasa for our local Brazilian fill-ups from now on.

M.X. what a great write-up! My DH says that in Fort Worth, Texas there is a rodizio that serves lobster tails off the skewers! I could waive off a whole lotta turkey in favor of lobster! Has anyone else experienced this place?

So, Kathleen, since the amusing coffee guys don't supply their names, have you provided your own? :rolleyes:

Er, can someone please explain to me the significance of Cosi fan tutte?

Così fan tutte is a comic opera that Mozart composed in 1790 at the age of 34. It's about two couples, where the men head off to battle and the women say they will be faithful to them while they're away. Mind you, this is all a set-up by the men to show the fickleness of women.

In Mozart's opera, the title means "They're all like that," namely women (tutte).

In bergerka's case, where the two guys bailed out, it means "They're all like that," namely men (tutti).

If this is confusing to you, don't worry about it. Opera lovers ... They're all like that ...

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Er, can someone please explain to me the significance of Cosi fan tutte?

Così fan tutte is a comic opera that Mozart composed in 1790 at the age of 34. It's about two couples, where the men head off to battle and the women say they will be faithful to them while they're away. Mind you, this is all a set-up by the men to show the fickleness of women.

In Mozart's opera, the title means "They're all like that," namely women (tutte).

In bergerka's case, where the two guys bailed out, it means "They're all like that," namely men (tutti).

If this is confusing to you, don't worry about it. Opera lovers ... They're all like that ...

And here I PM'd the answer to stay on topic. You phrased it better than I did, though.

Oooh! SarahD just gave me a homemade pumpkin applesauce muffin! It's delish.

Here it is:

gallery_8920_3_344011.jpg

Genny - I think I'll call the coffee guys "Jim" and um...."Jim."

Edited by bergerka (log)

and tomorrow night I will make mussels.

Yay! Have you decided which beer you are going to use?

Klary - Hoegaarden, for sure! In fact, the beer will probably cost me more than the mussels...I should be able to get everything at Fairway Market on the way home. I hate Fairway, but I can stand it for a short trip.

K

You should really make it four. Beer is kind of like the nuclear family and is well suited to splitting tasks, like the nuclear family.

(why you need four beers)

When debearding mussels, which is inevitably hard and thankless work, one must have a tasty tipple near the elbow to help stave away boredom.

One to cook the mussels in (or steam them with)

One to have to pass the time while the mussels steam

One to have with the mussels.

Or, you can make it six. The twin of the cooking beer goes into the beer-batter dumplings, and the youngest sibling is consumed as dessert.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Mmmm, Hoegaarden and mussels. But, mmmm Hoegaarden. I REALLY love Hoegaarden, especially on a hot summer day. Off to dream now, thanks Kathleen, this just makes spending the day priming and painting even worse! The only food in my near future is coffee and maybe a handful of peanuts.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Well, yes, a ton of Hoegaarden is definitely the way to go.

How many pounds of mussels would you all buy for four people?

Now...this is hard...I have a confession to make.

I had fully intended to go to Sophie's for lunch today. Sophie's is a new Cuban place (a small chain, I think) that has recently opened up across the street from the office. They make a more than respectable Cubano, which I like to eat with plantain chips.

However...I'm afraid that after last night, I a) wasn't all that hungry and b) could not face more meat today. My body was screaming for vegetables, so I gave in. Actually, my feet, of their own accord, walked PAST Sophie's and into...you guessed it...Bistro NY, one more time. This time I had tomato-basil soup, a teeny side salad of spinach, mushrooms and roasted cauliflower with shredded parmeggiano and red wine vinegar, bagel chips (duh!) and, of course, an A&W diet root beer.

here it is:

gallery_8920_3_706446.jpg

I wholeheartedly apologize for falling down on the job.

Edited by bergerka (log)

Well, yes, a ton of Hoegaarden is definitely the way to go.

How many pounds of mussels would you all buy for four people?

If mussels are the main course, I usually buy about a pound of mussels for each person. Maybe a little less depending on what else you are serving and people's appetites. This also allows for losing some mussels that don't open, i.e. the dead ones.

edited to add: I just cross-posted w/Little Ms. Foodie; looks like we have the same idea!

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Sorry your blog is almost over - it's been delightful, especially the opera references. After I began reading it, I went to a wonderful performance of Porgy & Bess by the Washington National Opera, lagniappe for yr blog! Can't wait to see the mussels - I've never cooked them in beer before.

Kathleen, this has been a fun week indeed! Thanks for all your time.

So what are you having with the muscles? I would guess some really great bread to sop up the liquor and steaming liquid. Anything else?

I wholeheartedly apologize for falling down on the job.

I'm now putting out the call for volunteers to spank Kathleen for falling down on the job.

Any takers?

Sorry your blog is almost over - it's been delightful, especially the opera references. After I began reading it, I went to a wonderful performance of Porgy & Bess by the Washington National Opera, lagniappe for yr blog!

That's an extremely interesting little tidbit of synchronicity. I just this afternoon ran into a friend of Kathleen's (and mine) named Carla who had just returned to NYC from seeing--you guessed it--a performance of Porgy and Bess at the Washington Opera last night.

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

MUSTN'T

LAUGH-SPEW

TUNA

HELPER!

Edited by jsolomon (log)

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

kath-

it's almost over????!!!

seems like it just started.

ignore that eric guy :biggrin: he's just trying to make trouble,

good cooking and don't let sam's "masterfulness" intimidate you to the sidelines. if you want to sous just say " what can i do chef" and go from there - or say " i want to make xyz" and let him fit your contribution into the dinner

you have done wonderful basic, good homecooking i would be honored to eat - whenever or wherever.... keep cooking, baby

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites