• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: bergerka - An opera about cooking, with pictures

bergerka

My suggestion would be to look through the oven door at Mr. Chicken after about 45 minutes and every five minutes thereafter to make sure that nothing untoward isn't happening in there.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

There was an awful lot of smoke coming out of there...I turned it down to 400, which is helping.

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

That will happen. Make sure that the chicken is low enough to keep from spattering only the top element (assuming your oven is electric).

I frequently roast chicken at 500 degF. It works great. But, smoke is produced. Just part of the joy.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

That will happen.  Make sure that the chicken is low enough to keep from spattering only the top element (assuming your oven is electric). 

I frequently roast chicken at 500 degF.  It works great.  But, smoke is produced.  Just part of the joy.

Gas oven. I also added some liquid to the bottom of the pan - water, as I've run through my reserves of broth, apparently, and a little vermouth. That's helping the situation with the smoke IMMENSELY.

Well, Mr. Chicken is out of the oven and golden brown. Those slices you see in his thigh and hip are my somewhat clumsy efforts to determine if the juices were running clear.

gallery_8920_3_48469.jpg

He's going to sit for a couple of minutes, after which I'll hack him up and maybe eat a piece or two, before racing into the shower (yes, I could've done that before, I've been too busy procrastinating, though) and getting the heck out to this party.

K

Well, Mr. Chicken is out of the oven and golden brown.  Those slices you see in his thigh and hip are my somewhat clumsy efforts to determine if the juices were running clear.

gallery_8920_3_48469.jpg

He's going to sit for a couple of minutes, after which I'll hack him up and maybe eat a piece or two, before racing into the shower (yes, I could've done that before, I've been too busy procrastinating, though) and getting the heck out to this party.

K

Lovely chicken, Kathleen. The chicken and the Jets have at least one think in common: they are both, indeed, done.

Kathleen, if you want a most excellent recipe for roast chicken (and a most excellent treatment of roasting in general) check out "Roasting" by Barbara Kafka.

Roasting

Mr. Chicken does look quite well-dressed for the night, though. Brava!

I think that starting off with all of the herbs poking out of the cavity is plenty slutty already, Wendy -- you know, in a tasteful kind of way. :wink:

I hope you're going to eat all of that golden skin while it's still crispy, Kathleen!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

One of these days, you have to try making an Alsatian tart that Andre Soltner used to serve when Lutece was open: pastry enclosing layers of potatoes, onion, bacon, creme fraiche, and topped with parsley. Oh, and he used a ton of butter as well.

Something tells me you'll enjoy it. :wink:

OMG, that Alsatian tart sounds right up my alley, however did you guess? :biggrin:

Chris & Wendy - slutty was the word for it, yes. And yes, yes, I'm afraid a large amount of that crispy skin mysteriously went missing while I was inexpertly (but effectively!) hacking up Mr. Chicken. :wub: I love crispy golden skin. Had beginner's luck too, as the breast came out nice and moist while the legs were cooked through but tender and juicy.

Lancastermike: PBPBPBPBPTH to you. The Jets aren't um...necessarily...totally...done...more like medium rare...

:sad:

So I just got back from a cocktail party, at which Eric_Malson was my date. It was lovely! No pictures though - for one thing it was in someone's house and I didn't want to make them self-conscious, and for another I forgot the stupid camera. :wacko: They fed me a Negroni, then a drink with gin, muddled cucumber, basil, lime and um...some simple syrup (refreshing and tasty), then something with applejack, pomegranate molasses, simple syrup, lemon juice and an egg white for foam, and finally some delicious pumpkin hot buttered rum (I am definitely making that this Xmas in Phoenix - it's a little rum infused with nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon and um...cloves(?), some dark spiced rum, a good one, not Captain Morgan's, some boiling water, some simple syrup, and pumpkin compound butter on top. Oh...my...). To eat, they had a variety of delicious cheeses (including a mind-blowingly good, buttery St. Andre), a pasta salad, a really good three-cheese fondue with nice bread, some hummus, some chili, and an apple crisp made by the hostess that was so good I immediately asked for the recipe. I love apple crisp in fall.

I'm now hitting the sack. Have to be up in six hours to start the work week again, yuck! I'm already looking forward to that cappuccino.

Chris & Wendy - slutty was the word for it, yes. 

You don't know the half of it... you should have seen what she wore to the cocktail party! :biggrin: I enjoyed watching men ogling her in the subway immensely.

For some odd reason, I'm having trouble remembering the names of the drinks I had...

Referring back to our trip to Pegu the other night, Kathleen was quite right, my second drink was a Dubliner, and I can still taste it. Can't wait to have another one. The name of my first drink finally emerged from the misty recesses of my alcohol-befogged memory: it was a Diamondback. In fact, I believe I was present when Brian first learned about that drink, when he was talking with the guy from Zig Zag in Seattle... I was eavesdropping and a couple of the drinks discussed sounded so good that I decided I needed to quickly scribble down the recipes, including that one. So, a Diamondback is 1½ oz. rye, ½ oz. yellow chartreuse and ½ oz. apple jack.

And if you go to Pegu and sit in Brian's section, he has a really beautifully-formed muddler--you must ask him to show it to you!

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

Bleu: mixologists? I think? Not sure.

all right. it's too early to see straight, let alone take in anything more than the elixir of life, right here.

gallery_8920_3_336695.jpg

It's bagel & muffin day at work, so if I'm at all hungry by then I'll grab one of those, although last time the bagels were way too bready.

Yes, I am just that much hung over.

Oh, PBBPBPBPBPBPBPTH, Eric, the top half wasn't slutty at all. It was just the short skirt with the black boots - I broke a heel on the way out of the house and had to go back and change.

Kathleen, just for you:

J - E - T - S

JETS, JETS, JETS!!!

At least you're not a Packers' fan.

Since you're hung over, it might be time for a simple pasta dish tonight. Hang in there, and just shut the door when you need to take a nap.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Kathleen,

six words.

Recovery run (aka "hangover hash"--you should google it) and

Hair of the dog

Kathleen,

six words.

Recovery run (aka "hangover hash"--you should google it) and

Hair of the dog

The only time I consider myself lucky to have a bad hip is...anytime I even THINK about running. Can't. Doctor's orders. :raz: Pilates, the recumbant bike and the stairmaster are perfectly fine, though, as is the elliptical. If I ever get off my ass and start doing them again, that is.

Hair of the dog on a workday could probably get me fired :wacko:, but it might be worth it. I am going out tonight for MEAT, though.

Aw, Dean, that's nice, thank you! Um...you do know Sam's a Packer fanatic, right? They're having a worse season than even Gang Green, poor cheeseheads.

K

And if you go to Pegu and sit in Brian's section, he has a really beautifully-formed muddler--you must ask him to show it to you!

Sounds like some kind of come-on...

Hung over is my least favorite.... just keep your head down low and don't look to conspicuous at the office. Perhaps they will forget you are there and find someone else to do it. :biggrin:

Mmmmm St. Andre. I love St. Andre. Its like buttuh! My new favorite combo over the summer was a panini with brie and avocado. Boo-yah! Now THAT's what I'm talkin' about people!

Hey, the Diamond back and the drink you had last night with the cucumber both sound soo refreshing. Wouldn't they be a bit too refreshing in light of the fact that ya'll are in your brisk autumnal temperatures? But the rum drink sounds fantastic, I'll have to try that one out for sure! (oh, and I'm impressed by the drinking capacity ya'll have! I'll have to get myself limbered up for the holidays so I can manage them a bit better :blink: )

[Hey, the Diamond back and the drink you had last night with the cucumber both sound soo refreshing.  Wouldn't they be a bit too refreshing in light of the fact that ya'll are in your brisk autumnal temperatures?

Not so brisk...it was over 70 degrees yesterday! :blink:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Hair of the dog on a workday could probably get me fired :wacko:, but it might be worth it.  I am going out tonight for MEAT, though.

Yeah, try knowing that you are working with yeast on those days. Of course, working on campus means that the bars are certainly within walking distance. Bloody mary anyone?

So, what's/where's tonight?

Tonight? You'll just have to wait and SEE. :raz:

Well, the hangover has finally dissipated, although I'm still very tired. I wanted to eat a light lunch because of the incipient meat orgy, so went back to Bistro NY for soup - chickpea and red pepper, this time, with bagel chips, a caffeine-free diet coke and a VERY large chocolate rice crispy cookie that looked far better than it tasted.

Picture!

gallery_8920_3_205365.jpg

And yeah, it's actually kind of hot, which is weird in November.

Edited by bergerka (log)

So, you're having a meat orgy, but can't stand a slutty chicken?

I'm going to get that twitch back if I think about this too long.