• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: bergerka - An opera about cooking, with pictures

bergerka

The great thing about these places is when you ask about the other items on the menu. For example, here is a conversation I have witnessed a few times:

Fat Guy: "Say, what about this noodle dish here. . ."

Guy behind the counter: "Fried dumpling! Five for dollar!"

Fat Guy: "I see, I see. And how about this congee. . ."

Fat Guy: "Right. Two orders of fried dumplings."

--

The great thing about these places is when you ask about the other items on the menu.  For example, here is a conversation I have witnessed a few times:

Guy behind the counter: "Fried dumpling!  Five for dollar!"

Fat Guy: "I see, I see.  And how about this congee. . ."

Fat Guy:  "Right.  Two orders of fried dumplings."

This is why we trust Steven to teach us how to get the best out of restaurants.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Seven dollars for two people?? NO WAY!! :shock:  :shock:

To quote Wayne.....

"WAY!!"

For some odd reason, I'm having trouble remembering the names of the drinks I had (why on earth could that be? I'm sure all that alcohol had nothing to do with it... :wacko:) , but I can remember the chief ingredients. First drink was rye whiskey and yellow chartreuse...surprisingly mellow and a really great starter. Followed by a drink made with Red Breast Irish whiskey and... oh crap, I can't remember what else, but I'm pretty sure there were some bitters in there somewhere... damn. :angry: It was my favorite drink of the evening, too--complex, with just a hint of smokiness to it.

Come to think of it, there may have been another drink between the first and second :wub: ... if I think of it, I'll emend my post. Right now, it's time for bed

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

kathleen-

that hot and sour soup looks incredible. that is the standard by which i measure all restaurants serving it because it is my favorite thing to eat(actually i have to make some in a week or two for a party at work).

and i want that first cocktail - the last word!

what about making something from the Dining and the Opera in Manhattan book i sent sam? there were a couple of recipes in there that you should be able to whip up very easily. keep cooking....

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Seven dollars for two people?? NO WAY!! :shock:  :shock:

Way. Seriously. Come join me there anytime and I'll prove it. That place tops my "bang for the buck" list in NYC, with Noche Mexicana's $2 tacos (one is PLENTY for me, they're huge) a close second.

Good morning, all! It's barely still morning. I was totally unable to fall asleep last night - no idea why, as for once in my life I'm not stressed - decided life was too short, called in to work and spent the morning alternately dozing and cuddling ferrets.

Now I'm up and finally having breakfast. I decided once again to go with a cappuccino and a slice of pumpkin cranberry bread.

gallery_8920_3_382058.jpg

My plans for the day include buying the ingredients for tonight's black bean soup and tomorrow's dinner party, then heading for home and cooking like crazy. I may also see if I can't find a better mousetrap (we can't use the snap ones, as the ferrets like to sneak out of our room and run down the hall and would undoubtedly be curious about them, with tragic results), because MICKEY IS IN MY ROOM again this morning, the little bastard.

Eric - the Irish Whiskey drink was a Dubliner with Redbreast and I think it WAS your second one. The third was a NY Sour.

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

kathleen-

that hot and sour soup looks incredible.  that is the standard by which i measure all restaurants serving it because it is my favorite thing to eat(actually i have to make some in a week or two for a party at work).

and i want that first cocktail - the last word!

what about making something from the Dining and the Opera in Manhattan book i sent sam? there were a couple of recipes in there that you should be able to whip up very easily.  keep cooking....

Suzi - I am so amazed by how good that hot & sour soup is. I will get into moods where I crave the taste...fortunately, at $1 for a small, which is HUGE, it's cheap enough for even my most broke times!

Ok, I am an idiot, I totally forgot about the dining and opera book, but I can see it right across from me in the bookshelf. Will dig through tonight.

By the way, folks...mussels have made the cut. They're on the menu for Tuesday night. Since I'll have a houseguest (michaeldauphinais from this very forum!), that works out well. Klary - I may pm you this mussels recipe I found to see if you have suggestions, since your area of the world is the BEST for moules.

K

Kathleen, have you tried spicing your cappuccino up? This fall my coffee sports a nice dash of cinnemon and WOW it really provides a subtle sweetness and a beautiful aroma every time I take a sip! Just a suggestion for tomorrow's mug if you've not tried it before :biggrin:

Kathleen, have you tried spicing your cappuccino up?  This fall my coffee sports a nice dash of cinnemon and WOW it really provides a subtle sweetness and a beautiful aroma every time I take a sip!  Just a suggestion for tomorrow's mug if you've not tried it before :biggrin:

Ok, you need to get out of my head, because I was just now emailing with a friend about putting some nutmeg in mine tomorrow morning. :laugh:

Maybe a little of both?

K

The great thing about these places is when you ask about the other items on the menu.  For example, here is a conversation I have witnessed a few times:

Fat Guy: "I see, I see.  And how about this congee. . ."

Fat Guy:  "Right.  Two orders of fried dumplings."

Or the other thing they say if you try to order something more unusual on the menu, which is "no. You won't like. You order dumpling." :laugh:

They were really, really nice about letting me take pictures, I must say.

Wendy - I hadn't actually considered trying to make french fries, but now I'm going to have to ponder, as one really can't have moules sans frites, can one? The recipe I have is for steaming the guys in spiced beer, but one of my FAVORITE ways to have mussels is with cherry tomatoes and pesto, the way they make them at Landmarc restaurant. OMG, that's so good.

K

Edited by bergerka (log)

Bergerka,

Its been a pleasure reading your post so far.. Before I moved to the UWS i lived in Turtle Bay Towers right next to the D. H. farmers market that came on Wednesdays.. Love the milk guy there, a real character.. Also use to get shepards pie there often. Great little place..

You havent mentioned chocolate cravings today.. Are we to assume you had some or are you fighting it silently..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Mussels with tomatoes and pesto are to die for - can't wait to see what you create, Kathleen! Pegu looks like it was a fabulous time - when is it not? And those dumplings...yummmmmy.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

JennyUptown - ANYTIME. C'mon up and give me a call! The best part about it is this: if you spend $3.50 each on dinner, that's more $$$ left over for cocktails.

Daniel, I didn't know you lived on the UWS! Tried Regional yet??? My chocolate craving hasn't struck yet, probably because I'm not at work. I'm quite sure that the first time I walk past the Silver Moon Bakery today and catch sight of their pain au chocolat, it'll hit with a vengeance. I'll be sure to document it if that happens. Purely for posterity's sake, you realize. Fortunately for all concerned, we're out of petit ecolier cookies.

Bleu - omg, it does look like a swan. That was completely random and accidental - in truth, I was instant messaging at the same time as I poured the hot milk into the cup and wasn't even paying attention.

At some point, I really will get off the computer and go shopping - I've been updating my regular blog (please PM me if you want to know about it - it's not food-related, or only occasionally, so I feel it would be inappropriate to list it in my sig line, plus it contains much adult language and content that might be offensive to some), which I've shamefully neglected this week, but am almost done.

K

OK, so we're on the same page! We'll both do the nutmeg & cinnemon in tomorrow's coffee and compare notes :wink:

What was in the dumplings? Pork & veg? Shrimp? I do love that they are just short of burned....mmmmmm. And the soup does look fantastic as well. We have a new noodle house that popped in just up the street, maybe some hot & sour soup and a side of dumplings is in my future too! (Though, for much more than $7 :hmmm: )

There is a recipe for moules in the Les Halles cookbook that I've been meaning to try and it has chorizo for the flavor base, in case you are looking for a little more inspiration. I've not really had great luck with moules in the past but this sounds so flavorful!

Will you have a photo helper to snap some prep pix for tonight's dinner? The jalepeno muffins to go with sound awesome! Perhaps you can share the recipe? We're a spicy bunch here and I'm sure those would be a hit in our family.

Daniel, I didn't know you lived on the UWS!  Tried Regional yet???  My chocolate craving hasn't struck yet, probably because I'm not at work.  I'm quite sure that the first time I walk past the Silver Moon Bakery today and catch sight of their pain au chocolat, it'll hit with a vengeance.  I'll be sure to document it if that happens.  Purely for posterity's sake, you realize.  Fortunately for all concerned, we're out of petit ecolier cookies.

Yes, yes.. I have moved to a beautiful little place in the suburbs of Manhattan... :biggrin: A stones throw away from Gap, Godiva, and Ollies.. Oh boy.. Strike me down if I ever go to any of the above.. I have not heard of Regional what and where is it.. I know of a Thai Place called Regional in Chelsea, but I dont think thats what you are talking about..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Bleu - omg, it does look like a swan.  That was completely random and accidental - in truth, I was instant messaging at the same time as I poured the hot milk into the cup and wasn't even paying attention.

It was magic. I'm sure of it.

edited to add : Hurry up and go shopping so you can cook nice and calm like!

Edited by bleudauvergne (log)

Mussels with tomatoes and pesto are to die for - can't wait to see what you create, Kathleen!  Pegu looks like it was a fabulous time - when is it not?  And those dumplings...yummmmmy.

That sounds really really good. I do have to admit, I go for the simplistic when I make mussels.

Steam them (over a nice qualitatswein), then take the liquor left in the pan, add the juice of 1/2 or a whole lemon, monte al buerre making sure to use nearly obscene amounts of butter, drizzle over the mussels, and sprinkle on lots of parsley and fresh black pepper.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Random thought... if you're steaming them, how about making some beer dumplings to steam with them?

I don't know what makes me think that would be a good match, but, what the hell?

3-cups self-rising flour, 12 oz of beer, 3 Tbps sugar, and 1 and 1/2 tsp salt, mix, ball into dumplings, et voila, ready to steam.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Yes, yes.. I have moved to a beautiful little place in the suburbs of Manhattan...  :biggrin:  A stones throw away from Gap, Godiva, and Ollies.. Oh boy.. Strike me down if I ever go to any of the above..   I have not heard of Regional what and where is it.. I know of a Thai Place called Regional in Chelsea, but I dont think thats what you are talking about..

The Regional thread is here. It's on Broadway between 98th and 99th - I've been there with people and just by myself, either way it's a great place to go, although a little noisy. :wub: :wub: make sure you try the bigoli with duck ragu.

I agree with you about Ollie's, but um...I just got a gorgeous wine-colored velvet blazer from the Gap. Is that wrong? :unsure:

Genny - the dumplings had pork and chives in them. They supposedly have other kinds, but I've never been permitted to order them!

Jsolomon - the beer dumplings actually sound really good. how would one go about steaming them WITH the mussels? Surely not in the same pot?? Help, details here!

Ok I really am getting off my ass and going shopping now.

Edited by bergerka (log)

I guess I was to hard on the Gap.. I was trying to think of the places right by me.. The Gap might have gotten thrown in the mix unfairly.. :smile: Thanks for Regional, I see myself eating duck ragu before the day is over..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Jsolomon - the beer dumplings actually sound really good. how would one go about steaming them WITH the mussels? Surely not in the same pot?? Help, details here!

I would steam them not only in the same pot, but on a lower level so the liqour from the mussels drips down on them as you steam both.

So, if you're steaming in a veggie steamer, use 2, stacked. In the bottom one, place the dumplings, and in the top one, place the mussels. If you make about nickel-to-quarter-sized dumplings, they ought to be done in about the same time as the mussels. 10-12 minutes.

Incidentally, shot glasses work really well as legs to make two-tiered steamers out of two of those folding veggie steaming baskets.