• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BYOB Restaurants in Manhattan

SarahD

I've been searching for a discussion of this with no luck. What's out there and what's worth checking out?

One in my 'hood is "A" on Columbus and 106th. Small space, small menu, but they manage to turn out very good French/French-Caribbean food using only hotplates and convection ovens.

Tartine! 253 W. 11th Street. :wub:

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

There isn't much out there, I'm afraid. Since I moved down to PA, I've been spoiled rotten by the large number of BYOs here that serve excellent food. I checked the newest NYC Zagat guide, and a lot of the restaurants listed are either of the Chinese/Thai/Indian variety or in Brooklyn--not that it's a bad thing. But here are my favs:

"A" has a sister restaurant, Ivo and Lulu at 558 Broome.

I love Tartine (good choice, bergerka). Get there early!

Chez Brigette is a French bistro at 77 Greenwich Avenue. I haven't eaten there, by my husband says it's pretty good.

Hemsin on Queens Blvd has good Turkish food at a very reasonable price.

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Ivo and Lulu -- is fun, once. then you realize that everything tastes the same -- sweet.

Tartine is acceptable.

AOC Bedford has BYO nights.

Chez Brigitte is not a French bistro. It's a lunch counter serving a couple dishes, each accompanied by canned peas and the like.

Cube 63, Sushi, 63 Clinton in the LES

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

Chez Brigitte is not a French bistro.  It's a lunch counter serving a couple dishes, each accompanied by canned peas and the like.

My bad. Guess that means that I don't need to bother trying it.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

• 5 months later...

We should add Ametller, a small Catalan place on Christopher near Waverly Place in the Village. I tried it on Monday, and it showed promise. They are a little pounded now in the wake of positive comments in the Times last week, but the duck crepes were good.

We should add Ametller, a small Catalan place on Christopher near Waverly Place in the Village.  I tried it on Monday, and it showed promise.  They are a little pounded now in the wake of positive comments in the Times last week, but the duck crepes were good.

any idea whether it's BYO until they get a liquor license, or a permanent policy?

We should add Ametller, a small Catalan place on Christopher near Waverly Place in the Village.  I tried it on Monday, and it showed promise.  They are a little pounded now in the wake of positive comments in the Times last week, but the duck crepes were good.

any idea whether it's BYO until they get a liquor license, or a permanent policy?

I am not sure. My understanding from something I read is they originally planned more of a coffee house / bakery and evolved into a restaurant. Based on that, they didn't plan to serve alcohol. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they looked into it in the future. Right now it is a very small operation, so I guess (hope) we have some time.