• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hearth/Griddle Cakes

Adam Balic

I was thinking about pancakes recently and came to the conclusion that hearth/griddle cakes in one form or another are likely to be the most widely distributed food type on the planet and are also very likely to be one of the oldest cooked products.

I thought that it might be interesting to make a note of the types people are aware of.

Muffins ("English"), crumpets and pikelets are essentially regional variations on the same product (Hearth/Griddle cakes), although there is obviously some differentiation in form.

In the UK, the muffin and the crumpet were originally very similar, a slightly firner dough produces the crumpet and the wetter dough supported by a ring produces the crumpet It is difficult to recognise this now as the commercially produce Englsih muffins are now very bready in internal texture. I believe that there is an American producer of Englsih muffins who produce an product with is more similar to the original.Crumpets in this part of Scotland come as both the 'English form' and a much wider and flatter local type, being very similar to what I would call a pikelet or drop scone, except the crumpets are much bigger and full of holes.

These are some barley bannocks I made recently. Scotland has a mill that still grinds this meal, which is great as it is very tasty. As the flour is so low in gluten, if you cook them slowly you get a similar effect to a crumpet (cooked in rings) or and identical effecdt to the Scottish crumpet. Some Middle-Eastern pancakes are made in the same way, but are only cooked on one side then stuffed. In some cases they are then fried as well.

gallery_1643_2003_528966.jpg

gallery_1643_2003_292421.jpg

I still dream of pikelets which I think must have been the "fast food" of my childhood. They were sold by a woman just outside the Corn Market (Derby) as I recall and they were a rare treat. Crumpets, here in Canada, are close to those I recall in the UK but my memory may be faulty! :biggrin:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The North Staffordshire Oatcake gets my vote for favorite "girdle" or griddle cake. Basically a large crepe made with equal amounts of oat and wheat flour, milk and water, yeast, it can be filled with most anything however in The Potteries, bacon or sausage, egg, cheese, brown sauce, etc., are favorites when purchased at the few oatcake shops that have survived through the years and which seem to be having a bit of a renaissance. You can make a stack of them and they keep for several days wrapped in a lightly damp towel. Delicious filled with savories however my dad loves them spread thick with jam.

A good recipe can be found in Elizabeth Davids "English Bread and Yeast Cookery."

Pikelets can usually be found in the oatcake shops in N. Staffordshire... and Elizabeth David has recipes for these as well. I haven't tried making them, Anna, as I don't think they'll live up to my memories! I first had these in Derbyshire as well.

You're probably right, Adam: the proverbial "they" say that every culture has its flatbread.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Pikelets can usually be found in the oatcake shops in N. Staffordshire... and Elizabeth David has recipes for these as well.  I haven't tried making them, Anna, as I don't think they'll live up to my memories!  I first had these in Derbyshire as well.

Thank you - it's nice to know that someone else had pikelets in Derbyshire! I don't think I would attempt them either - it might spoil a marvellous memory.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The North Staffordshire Oatcake gets my vote for favorite "girdle" or griddle cake. 

A good recipe can be found in Elizabeth Davids "English Bread and Yeast Cookery." 

Just for you Kit, I made some of these for breakfast today, from Elizabeth David's recipe.

My yeast wasn't that active so they could be a bit lighter, but these were excellent. I big thumbs up in the household. The texture was excellent, stretchy-soft without being gummy or too heavy. They would be great for homes with small children as well.

gallery_1643_978_276732.jpg

gallery_1643_978_283245.jpg

gallery_1643_978_17550.jpg

They were also very good with butter and honey.

Edited by Adam Balic (log)

Perfect, Andy, only it looks like you need a little brown sauce along with your egg and bacon! Now you need to head on up to Burslem in N. Staffordshire, make your way to Hamil Oatcakes and order yourself a Whopper. Tell Gerry (if he's still the owner) that I sent you. I had my fifteen minutes of fame at Hamil's a few years ago. fun times. great oatcakes.

Edited by kitwilliams (log)

kit

Weebl

Pikelets can usually be found in the oatcake shops in N. Staffordshire... and Elizabeth David has recipes for these as well.  I haven't tried making them, Anna, as I don't think they'll live up to my memories!  I first had these in Derbyshire as well.

Thank you - it's nice to know that someone else had pikelets in Derbyshire! I don't think I would attempt them either - it might spoil a marvellous memory.

Next time you're in Stoke-on-Trent, pop over to Glenn & Sue's Oatcakes,

62 Waterloo Street, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent, Tel: (01782) 261883. They have terrific pikelets. I like them best with currants, quickly warmed in the frying pan, spread with butter, a little jam and enjoy with a lovely, milky cuppa!

kit

Weebl

we recently had a Scottish cooking night with some friends and enjoyed fresh bannocks (some barley flour, some spelt/barley) slathered with good butter. They were SO good, each one barely hit the plate before being snatched up.

we also had Scotch Collops, Colcannon & Stapag (oatmeal ice-cream!)

there were going to be oat cakes too but we got full, so there will probably be an oatcake night in January :biggrin:

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

• 3 weeks later...

It seems that no one has mentioned blini yet. Delicious little pancakes made from buckwheat flour, yeast and a bit of sour cream/creme fraiche for added taste, which can be cooked either on their own little blini pan or a few at a time on a larger pan. Traditionally they are served with sour cream and caviar on top, but smoked salmon is popular too (a bit of horseradish in the sour cream for the smoked salmon gives an added kick). They are also extremely good straight off the pan with butter. As far as I know, they originate from Russia.

Kit, is it possible to replicate these in Southern California?

Adam, how big are these rings? Are these rings for uniformity? And I suppose it must be yeast, not baking soda, not baking powder, ehh? Consider me ignorant.

The rings are, you know crumpet sized (about 4 inches wide). The crumpet mix is quite wet, so if you have no ring, you will get a very flattened product, not a crumpet. Yeast is the traditional raising agent.

Hey... you just reminded me of a time when I had blini with sour cream and beetroot in a London restaurant. I think it was Polish, it was about 8 years ago. There seems to be an age old affinity with beetroot.

I think that buckwheat and beetroot like similar conditions to grow in and in the more Northern locations of the range, buckwheat would have been the staple, rather then wheat. Beetroot is typically preserved for later use, so I guess in a long winded way I am saying that I agree.

I have come across two references to an English yeast raised all rye pancake, one in Hammond and one in Mrs. Rundell's cookery book. I think that the former is taken from the latter. Can't find out if this was a regional thing or if it was a local copy of a blini.

• 2 weeks later...
Kit, is it possible to replicate these in Southern California?

If you're referring to the North Staffordshire Oatcake, Russell, it certainly is possible. Easy peasy. Just follow the recipe out of Elizabeth David's Bread & Yeast Cookery.

I must admit to never having made crumpets. But I just put crumpet rings on my Christmas list!

kit

Weebl