• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Raw milk butter

Does anyone know if it's possible to find raw milk butter in Quebec? I know it isn't legal to sell, but does anyone know if there any milk producers or cheese makers making it for their own consumption and willing to share as a fair trade? :wink:

Does anyone know if it's possible to find raw milk butter in Quebec? I know it isn't legal to sell,

Is that true? I know that is the case in the US, but I was under the impression that it was indeed legal in Quebec.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I've seen it available at Qui lait cru in Jean-Talon Market...

http://marchespublics-mtl.com/en-CA/FicheM...ID=3&InfoID=604

Sorry to dissapoint but I don't think it's made out of raw milk. If you are talking about the butter from Beurrerie du Patrimoine, their milk is pasteurized so I strongly doubt their butter is raw. It still is a very good artisanal butter.

Patrice

Qui Lait Cru carries butter, cream and milk from Beurrerei du Patrimoine, Ferme Jean-Noel Groleau in Compton QC.

I just checked a tub of butter from there in my fridge and it does not say it's made from "cru" milk. Neither does it say it's from pasteurized....

It says 100% naturel sans additif.

It's an excellent product and available Sans Sel, Sale and 1/2 Sale

Umm, having a slice of Fromentier Baguette with plenty of Sale right now....

/gth

I've tried the butter at Qui Lait Cru and it's definately pasturized. It's good stuff, but I'd been hoping to taste some raw milk butter. I've never had the chance to try and guessing from the way raw milk cheese is generally that much more interesting than their counterparts, raw milk butter shouldn't dissapoint either.

I'll definately be back to Qui Lait Cru though...