• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Store recommendations

I like Carlo Russo' s World of Wine in the Kings Shopping Plaza in Fort Lee.  It might be called Linwood Plaza, but I could be wrong. It's near the GW Bridge, where Kings Supermarket is located.

Carlo Russo is now closed.

However there is a great store called Wine Country in the complex where Huffman Koos was located off Rt#4.

I like Carlo Russo' s World of Wine in the Kings Shopping Plaza in Fort Lee.  It might be called Linwood Plaza, but I could be wrong. It's near the GW Bridge, where Kings Supermarket is located.

Carlo Russo is now closed.

However there is a great store called Wine Country in the complex where Huffman Koos was located off Rt#4.

carlo russo closed? that's pretty big news. they still have their (small) place in hohokus.

Total Wine and More is next to the old Huffman Koos. they have a website (google it). deep discounts. large selection of most items. very inexpensive beer selection. great staff if you find the right person.

I don't buy as much wine as I used to and look what happened--Carlo Russo had to close his Fort Lee store. Do you know when it closed? I'm trying to remember the last time I was there. I have a lot of fond memories of "finds" in that store. They had a huge collection.

It looks like their much, much smaller Ho-Ho-Kus store is still around.

The Carlo Russo wine shop was sold a while back and it is definitely open. (They never closed)

The new name is Smart Buy Wines and they have, IMHO an even better selection than before. The new owner, Doug, is extremely knowledgable and has been involved in wine for quite some time. He is a big Burgundy lover.

Hank

Can anyone recommend a good wine store in or around the Teaneck area?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

You have a good wine store right in Teaneck:

Queen Anne Wines

247 DeGraw Avenue

www.queenannewine.com

I have shopped them for years--selection is good and prices are often very competitive.

They have an offer on their website to match any internet advertised wine prices in New Jersey.

I also loved the "old" Carlo Russo. The new place--Smart Buy is good.

You should also take a short ride (from Teaneck) out to the Wine Library near the Short Hills Mall they have IMOP one of the largest and best operations anywhere.

Echoing tommy, Total Wine has the largest selection of wines in Northern NJ and the lowest prices. That's certainly a winning combination. The place is very big, and the wines are very organized, grouped by Country and then by region and type. Only about 7 minutes from Teaneck. It's now next to the re-incarnated Levitz Furniture off Rte 4 West, on Kinderkamack Rd and Main St in River Edge. I highly recommend it.

Can anyone recommend a good wine store in or around the Teaneck area?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

You have a good wine store right in Teaneck:

Queen Anne Wines

247 DeGraw Avenue

www.queenannewine.com

I have shopped them for years--selection is good and prices are often very competitive.

They have an offer on their website to match any internet advertised wine prices in New Jersey.

I agree plus they have a very large selection of kosher wines-

Kevin the owner and assistant Christine are extremely helpful-

The old Ft. Lee Carlo Russo closed almost a year ago at this point.  Last time I went into Smart Buy it looked like they were having a going out of business sale, the store was so empty.

The store never closed. It did, as I said in my previous post change ownership. There is a difference.

As for the the store being empty when you were there I can only say that I would love to have a dollar for every time I have gone into a wine shop over the past 40 years and found myself to be the only one there. And that goes for any retail store so your comment does not seem to be a fair barometer of a store's sales volume.

Hank