• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in Downtown Seattle

As always, it will be helpful to read recent threads on the topic - or let us know more about type of food, environment, cost...so many options.

By the way, the Sheraton is expanding, so try for a room on the North side unless you want a view of foundation work.

Where are you coming from??

In the downtown core I would look into threads on Matt's in the Market, Le Pichet, Lola, Palace Kitchen, Union, Cafe Campagne.

Seattle has it's 25 for $25 going on all thru November so you can check out a few places on the cheap!

25 for $25

Lola is a must.

Dahlia Lounge is the quintisential Seattle restaurant

Comfort food at Icon Grille

Asian at Dragonfish

I've written and re-written my reaction to these recommendations and you know, like my Mom always tried to tell me, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.....

Let's just leave it at that I would strongly encourage Union, Le Pichet, Matt's, Cafe Campagne, etc., etc. over the aforementioned....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Cafe Campagne is more casual and one of the best places in Seattle to have a weekend breakfast.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Lola is a must.

Asian at Dragonfish

I've written and re-written my reaction to these recommendations and you know, like my Mom always tried to tell me, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.....

Let's just leave it at that I would strongly encourage Union, Le Pichet, Matt's, Cafe Campagne, etc., etc. over the aforementioned....

Must agree (pass on Icon and Dragon in particular). I also recommend Restaurant Zoe, Flying Fish, Tango (though I haven't been in years - but thinking walking distance), Crow, Lark or Harvest Vine (short cab rides.)

Cafe Campagne is very comfortable - and cassoulet is probably on the menu by now (seasonal.) Campagne is doing some promotional stuff these days, like Sunday supper.

Ooooo Philadelphia is one of my favorite cities to visit and eat great food!

Here are my suggestions for great dining experiences:

High End: Mistral, Lampreia and Rover's have the most creative menus IMHO

For more casual but still very good dinners: Restaurant Zoe, Lark, Cascadia and Lola.

Haven't been to Icon Grille and didn't eat at Dragonfish (just a few step inside the door sent me running. It was extremely hot, noisy, with a "pungent" smell of food being cooked.

Edited by Foodie-Girl (log)

<a href="http://www.dragonfishcafe.com/sea/index.php" target="_blank">Dragonfish</a> is ONLY good for happy hour in the bar, and for that, I like it quite a bit. Sushi rolls and apps are tasty (though not particularly <em>traditional</em>). Specialty cocktails, like the lemongrass lime rickey (with lemongrass infused vodka that they make in-house), are big, inexpensive and strong. It's within walking distance of the Sheraton, on the other side of the convention center.

I'm not from Seattle but visited a couple of months ago. My husband and I had an absolutely wonderful anniversary dinner at Union, and the night before, a more casual and very enjoyable tapas-type meal at The Black Bottle.

We were looking for brunch too - wish I'd known about Cafe Campagne. Next time!

**Melanie**

Where are you coming from??

In the downtown core I would look into threads on Matt's in the Market, Le Pichet, Lola, Palace Kitchen, Union, Cafe Campagne.

LMF's list is right on. Both Lola and Palace Kitchen are Tom Douglas restaurants. Don't miss Matt's in the Market, it's a very Seattle experience and very charming, Le Pichet & Cafe Campagne for classic french bistro fare, I have a special place in my heart for both of those places :smile: And of course, Union for higher end dining, at 1st and Union right by the Market. Gorgeous food.

I would also add Lark to this list, up on Capital Hill, it's small plates done very well, you can have as much or as little as you like. they don't take ressies so try to go early (open at 5) it's an easy cab ride from downtown.

Born Free, Now Expensive

We had a great trip to Seattle last October and enjoyed meals at Matt's in the market, Cafe Campagna, Flying Fish and Dahlia Lounge. If you like oysters, we had an outstanding time at the oyster bar at Elliott's on the waterfront. Also, we're still talking about the wonderful cocktails we had at the Zig Zag Cafe. Have a great trip!

KathyM

Oddly enough, my husband does not like Cafe Campagne.  Too noisy for him and he didn't like the brunch menu or his lamb burger.

I actually give the nod to Maximilien over Cafe Campagne for brunch and the lamb burger. Still can be a noisy place.

Another recommendation I'm going to throw out in the Market area is 94 Stewart. I think they're serving some interesting and tasty dishes that don't show up other places.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

Oddly enough, my husband does not like Cafe Campagne.  Too noisy for him and he didn't like the brunch menu or his lamb burger.

I loved the lamb burger but otherwise must agree. Not a lot of choices, noisy and crowded, with indifferent service.

Best meal I had in Seattle was at Lark. They do a stellar cheese plate, with accompaniments. Go early.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

I actually give the nod to Maximilien over Cafe Campagne for brunch and the lamb burger. Still can be a noisy place.

Another recommendation I'm going to throw out in the Market area is 94 Stewart. I think they're serving some interesting and tasty dishes that don't show up other places.

I visited 94 Stewart in October and enjoyed it; especially a wonderful wine by the glass. Hmmm, what was it? Must have had two glasses. I love Le Pichet and eat there once each trip when in town on business.

Anyone have any Thanksgiving ideas beyond this list? Will be staying downtown over that weekend, assume at least some of these will be open. "Just saying no" to turkey, thanks.

Anyone have any Thanksgiving ideas beyond this list? Will be staying downtown over that weekend, assume at least some of these will be open. "Just saying no" to turkey, thanks.

If you're not averse to buffets....

Brasserie Margaux Thanksgiving buffet

• 1 month later...

We had a delightful happy hour experience at Maximillien's tonight. I was afraid the bar might be overly crowded since it has received a lot of hype on the "other" board in recent months, but it was only half full between 5 and 7pm, the official "happy hours". I wanted to go there because it is so intensely romantic and a great escape from what we really needed to do tonight - wrap, decorate the tree, make the cheesecake, etc. It was just the spot.

We ordered two bowls of mussels in garlic broth, two french onion soups, two plates of bread and butter, two glasses of red wine and two 'french martinis" - grey goose vodka, pineapple juice and cranberry juice served chilled straight up. The entire bill came to $29 - and the ambiance - priceless. We got into a friendly conversation with a woman at a neighboring table who was a craftsperson from the Market, we half understood bits and pieces of the lyrics sung by the morose french chanteuse, and outside the windows it was all rainy Elliott Bay in December.

Other Happy Hour menu items besides mussels and french onion soup (all priced at $2.95 each) - croque monsieur, pommes frites and sauce, brie flambe, and peach melba. Something else too....I am forgetting! Must be the two French Martini's still settling sweetly into my cerebellum?

Might be the best part of Christmas, this little escape... glad it is here all year round.

Best to you and yours - egulluteers!

• 7 months later...
Lola is a must.

Asian at Dragonfish

Must agree (pass on Icon and Dragon in particular). I also recommend Restaurant Zoe, Flying Fish, Tango (though I haven't been in years - but thinking walking distance), Crow, Lark or Harvest Vine (short cab rides.)

Cafe Campagne is very comfortable - and cassoulet is probably on the menu by now (seasonal.) Campagne is doing some promotional stuff these days, like Sunday supper.

I'd like to revive this thread by asking about:

1. any updates

2. new places

3. ethnic places not previously covered (As you can deduce from my signature, I don't mean French).

4. interesting lunch places.

Thanks.

John

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

94 Stewart at the Pike Place Market is great for lunch or dinner. I think they offer one of the most interesting spins on truly regional-Northwest cuisine without falling back into the French or Italian paradigm.

Downtown isn't the place for ethnic, but if you can make it to the International District, Green Leaf is the best Vietnamese I've experienced.

Please tell us more about what you like to eat and how far you want to travel or what area you are staying...

Out on Madison - Crush is lovely.

New - Purple Wine Bar has opened downtown - haven't tried it, but it looks handsome.

Moxie on Queen Anne has lunch and great happy hour prices on food.

Won't you try Cremant and tell us it doesn't live up to its hype? Mean, aren't I?

Oh, take the ferry from downtown to Bainbridge and try Madoka - Pacific Rim cuisine from one of the originators.

Edited by tsquare (log)

Appropos of little, since I'm not planning a trip to Seattle any time soon, but I remember being very disappointed a few years ago when we ran out of evenings before making it to Rover's. So I expected to see it somewhere on this thread yet it is conspicuously absent.

Has it fallen from favor? Gone downhill? Never was good and I had bad intel before that trip (it was pre-eG for me)? Just curious. It's probably more French than John would want anyway, but I couldn't help wondering and I'm sure you locals will clue me in :wink:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher