• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fajita Recommendations

JFK

I plan on making both beef (skirt) and chicken fajitas this weekend for @ 10 people.

Any recommendations for great (homemade of course)marinades? I have tried quite a few over the years and am looking for something new.

Apperciate your suggestions in advance.

Cheers,

JFK

I use different marinades for beef and chicken. I don't really have a recipe, just a list of ingredients that I often use.

For Beef:

worcestershire sauce

thick soy sauce or chinese "gourmet" sauce

lime juice

garlic

tequila

"fajita seasonings" or mixture of chili powder, cayenne, cilantro, salt and pepper

a little oil

For chicken:

lime juice

oil (3 times as much as lime juice)

garlic

cilantro

"fajita seasonsings" (see above)

tequila

I use different marinades for beef and chicken. I don't really have a recipe, just a list of ingredients that I often use.

For Beef:

worcestershire sauce

thick soy sauce or chinese "gourmet" sauce

lime juice

garlic

tequila

"fajita seasonings" or mixture of chili powder, cayenne, cilantro, salt and pepper

a little oil

For chicken:

lime juice

oil (3 times as much as lime juice)

garlic

cilantro

"fajita seasonsings" (see above)

tequila

You can try something a little different and use an adobo marinade and make yourself some carne adobado, a quick search yielded this recipe which is certainly passable:

Adobo

I'd suggest using Mexican bay and oregano if you have access to it.

To use just coat the hell out of the meat and refrigerate at least 2-4 hours...it can be left to marinade up to 2 days uncovered in the rerigerator, flavor improves as it sits.

Cook as usual...grilling is always nice.

I usually use this for pork, but it works well on beef, too.

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.