• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for proven IMBC formula

alligande

Are you looking for home quantity or commercial quantity?

Here's the version I use (home baker, no large quantity), and I've tweaked it to the point that I know it will work for me:

Italian Meringue Buttercream

6 egg whites

2 cups sugar

1 cup water

1 lb butter, softened and at 65ºF

1 Tbsp vanilla

Combine sugar and water and heat to 245.

While sugar is boiling, work butter until smooth and lump free.

When sugar reaches 230, begin whipping whites to stiff, but not dry, peaks.

Slowly drizzle sugar syrup into whites while beating. Continue to beat at medium until warm but not hot.

Switch to paddle and on low speed, first beat in vanilla, then add butter in several additions.

If mixture looks grainy, whisk over simmering water until it comes together. Chill if necessary.

(edited to add butter crucial butter temp...colder or warmer butter and it breaks on me)

Edited by kthull (log)

I have tried a number of diffrent variations of Italian meringue buttercream, and they often perform/handle diferently and was wondering what favourites others had?

My default is the Mousseline buttercream from The Cake Bible -- it works like a dream, is light and flavorful without being overly "meringue-y" tasting, and is strong enough to pipe roses. If you need it, I'll dig up the recipe. At first glance, comparing it with kthull's recipe, mine has a lot less sugar (like 50%) for the same amount of butter. Technique is pretty much the same, though I use 1/4 cup of the sugar to stablize the whites while whipping (and sometimes use a little cream of tartar, as well).

I used to beat the softened butter in a separate bowl to get rid of lumps before adding it, now I simply squoosh it in its wrapper between my fingers as I add it.

I have tried a number of diffrent variations of Italian meringue buttercream, and they often perform/handle diferently and was wondering what favourites others had?

How do the variations differ?

I'm intrigued, because I always thought IMBC was beaten eggs whites (with a little sugar), hot syrup and then butter. I've found that if I am rebeating a cold IMBC, I have to warm it up (usually with a torch on the side of the mixer bowl) but one of my instructors used to take some of the cold BC and microwave it briefly - then pour the practically liquid buttercream into the mixer bowl. If I do this more than once, I lose the airy niceness and get a more "dense" (hard to describe) texture - very buttery and it is harder to handle than when freshly made or not previously chilled. Normally I try to make buttercream at the end of the day and hold it overnight for use the next morning (it stands about 12 hours or so) but when it's busy, I'm making it all during the day and using it as I go rather than waiting.

How do the variations differ? 

The variations are the proportions of butter/eggwhites/sugar. Some have more sugar others more butter and so you get slight variations in taste and texture and so I was just wondering what combination others used.

karen

Edited by alligande (log)

I've just made four batches of this recipe:

10 oz egg whites

3.5 oz granulated sugar

10 oz sugar

water to moisten

2 # butter, paddled smooth and light

flavoring of your choice (i'm using vanilla bean and i'm making two different cakes, so i'll add nut paste to some of this when i'm ready to finish that cake).

follow the standard procedure for IMBC. this is the recipe i learned in culinary school and i've made it many, many times without any sort of problems. i melt it down to glaze with and it works really well. i tend to add a pinch of salt (to most things) to enhance the flavor a little.

i had to make four batches because i only have a 5qt kitchenaid. it fits perfectly in the 5qt. this recipe scales up and down without any problems either (it started out as an 8# butter batch).

*edited to add: i'm making this buttercream in hawaii and it is warm and humid in the kitchen. the butter is super soft and i didn't take too much care to let the whites totally cool. it didn't break on me at all. i'm very happy with this recipe.

Edited by alanamoana (log)

I use a combination of Dede Wilson's recipe and "Kaye's Buttercream" from the Whimsical Bakehouse cookbook.

I liked elements of each recipe - so I combined them together and came up with something that works for me.

I also use COLD butter, not room temperature like most IMBC recipes state.

IMBC takes more time than SMBC, but I prefer the way it handles better and I prefer the taste.

Question: When adding nut pastes to the buttercream, do you have to lessen the sugar amount of the IMBC? How many of you actually add nut pastes to IMBC? I have a can of Hazelnut praline paste that I've been wanting to add to a batch of IMBC I already made. But I'm hesitant since I don't know how it's going to taste and with what cake flavors I should use that icing with.

I use a combination of Dede Wilson's recipe and "Kaye's Buttercream" from the Whimsical Bakehouse cookbook.

I liked elements of each recipe - so I combined them together and came up with something that works for me. 

I also use COLD butter, not room temperature like most IMBC recipes state. 

IMBC takes more time than SMBC, but I prefer the way it handles better and I prefer the taste.

Question: When adding nut pastes to the buttercream, do you have to lessen the sugar amount of the IMBC?  How many of you actually add nut pastes to IMBC?  I have a can of Hazelnut praline paste that I've been wanting to add to a batch of IMBC I already made.  But I'm hesitant since I don't know how it's going to taste and with what cake flavors I should use that icing with.

Hazelnut prailine goes great with chocolate cake!!!

I use IMBC as the "house" buttercream, and it's balanced so that I can add unsweetened hazelnut paste to it and it's fine. Depending on the client, they may ask for a subtle flavor or a stronger one so the amount I use varies.

I like to pair hazelnut buttercream with yellow cake (spread with a barely there layer of apricot jam, although since I'm right now fascinated with a hazelnut and dried cherry tart, I am thinking I will try cherry jam on yellow cake with hazelnut buttercream. Since I build my cakes with two layers of filling, I may do a cherry jam skim coat with a layer of hazelnut and a layer of choc buttercream.) And there's gianduia - hazelnut and chocolate so you could put some praline paste into your choc buttercream and use that in choc or yellow cake....

My default is the Mousseline buttercream from The Cake Bible -- it works like a dream, is light and flavorful without being overly "meringue-y" tasting, and is strong enough to pipe roses.  If you need it, I'll dig up the recipe.

Yes, please.

Di

My default is the Mousseline buttercream from The Cake Bible -- it works like a dream, is light and flavorful without being overly "meringue-y" tasting, and is strong enough to pipe roses.  If you need it, I'll dig up the recipe.

Yes, please.

Di

16 oz butter

7 oz sugar

2 oz water

5 lrg egg whites (5.25oz)

5/8 tsp cream of tartar

3 oz liqueur, optional

other options....

up to 3/4 cup fruit puree

5 oz melted and cooled bittersweet chocolate

6 oz melted and cooled white chocolate

RLB heats her syrup to 248 - 250.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

16 oz butter

7 oz sugar

2 oz water

5/8 tsp cream of tartar

3 oz liqueur, optional

other options....

I need to make a double batch of IMBC and would like to use this recipe. Can it be simply doubled... or will I need to adjust something or other?

Di

16 oz butter

7 oz sugar

2 oz water

5/8 tsp cream of tartar

3 oz liqueur, optional

other options....

I need to make a double batch of IMBC and would like to use this recipe. Can it be simply doubled... or will I need to adjust something or other?

Di

You can double it with no adjustments.