• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Private Dining Opportunities

jamiemaw

One of the biggest (and quietest) growth sectors in the Vancouver dining market over the past few years has been in Private Dining.

Once the hotels had a virtual lock on this particularly profitable business. Not asny more. With food and labour costs known in advance, restaurant proprietors have been stretching corporate, event and incentive dining as a year round adjunct to their regular revenues. Obviously though, at this time of year it moves into overdrive.

Of course it's not without its challenges: menu planning and choreographing the kitchen during regular, à la carte service being chief amongst them.

But it's clearly worth the effort for many owners. I was reminded of this a few months ago when I counted these rooms at Cioppino's and Enoteca:

Cioppino's Wine Room has a capacity for a maximum of 26 people and Enoteca's Wine Room comfortably seats 20. More recent additions are the (branded!) Dom Pérignon Enothèque Champagne Library which seats 6 people, and the Mama Paola Wine Room which seats 12. The latest edition, the (more branding!) Antinori Wine Room in Enoteca, also seats 12.

In other words, Pino can have up to five, pre-determined private dinners in progress for as many as 76 covers.

Other Yaletown restaurants such as Blue Water (with an elegant and discreet private room) and HSG (with its own bar--a decided advantage) have also taken advantage of the trend. Meanwhile Gotham has both a private bar and state-of-the-art plasma screens for presentations or rousing corporate videos. Or, for that matter, stag movies.

It's one of the most FAQ's I get and I thought it might be interesting to both create an inventory of Private Dining Rooms within restaurants (or good ones in hotels or interesting, independent catering venues), and also to share experiences. Then perhaps, as a service, we can place it into a pinned thread.

Please dish . . .

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Jamie - thanks so much for starting this thread. I, too, have been asked this question frequently by business colleagues and associates. There have been many occasions when a private dining room was what we needed rather than going to a restaurant for a meal simply because of the need to continue our business agenda. In some instances it isn't appropriate to continue the discussion in a public dining room because of the sensitive nature of the content and in other situations the room is simply too noisy to enable the type of intimate discussion teams often need to have over the meal. In this age of virtual companies with teams working from disparate geographical locations, when the team does get together for meetings, often some of the best work is done over a meal and wine. I look forward to the responses - they will be very useful.

Cheers,

Karole

Cin Cin also has a private room for up to 26 or so.

Joe Fortes also has a private room for up to 22. The entire upper level can also be used for a private function. It can seat around 60 for a prvate function.

It seems to me that the group functions(menus) are an ever increasing business. We do at least 10 large parties a week with group menus.

Derek

Thanks for these cotributions. As Karole said, there are often reasons--colleagiality, privacy or simply quieter conversation--when only a private room will do. I suppose that also applies for private screenings of 'Willing Coeds 23" as well.

Some of the best private meals I had in Vancouver were from chef Alain Léger on the mezzanine floor of the Metropolitan Hotel for the annual Jack Webster Foundation directors' wrap-up; almost equally at The William Tell. Now that I think about it, the main floor room at Le Gavroche accomodates up to 30 and, with the fireplace going, is particularly cosy.

I also have fond memories of the upstairs (about 20, with a small bar) or wine cellar (two!) at Villa del Lupo, although I must profess that I haven't been back since Julio Gonzalez-Perrini sold the shop. Seems to me the Beachside Café in West Vancouver also has a private wine cellar, for up to eight or so. And last summer we had an al fresco private meal, for six (although it could easily hold more), on the upstairs balcony at The Beachouse at Dundarave Pier, with an even better view than from down below.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

The Fish House in Stanley Park has a private dining room in their wine cellar that seats 20. It's been the spot for a couple of birthday parties: top-notch food and service on both occasions.

Cru also provides large-group private dining by booking at their fine establishment.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I think it is called the "red velvet" room at Elixir.

La Terraza has a nice large room for events.

Circolo has a dining room off to the side with it's own demonstration kitchen.

Rodney's Oyster Bar has the Mermaid Room

Milestone's in Yaletown has a private room for 25

Coast has the Mezzanine.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

SandBar has "the crush" which seats 20 comfortably, the room is just off the dance floor area and is great for parties - not so much for business or quiet family dinners.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Herons at the Fairmont Waterfront Hotel has a PDR that can seat up to 20ish comfortably, with floor to ceiling windows.

Also, Hy's Encore has their upstairs room that can probably seat up to 30-35.

Ian McTavish

General Manager / Capones Restaurant & Live Jazz Club

c'hi has a private room that's also a karaoke bar. i believe it seats about 25 people.

not quite a room, but parkside has a private booth that seats about 6-8 people in the back.

*edited for my engrish :rolleyes:

Edited by makanmakan (log)

Quentina

c'hi has a private room that's also a karaoke bar.  i believe it seats about 25 people.

not quite a room, but parkside has a private booth that seats about 6-8 people in the back.

*edited for my engrish  :rolleyes:

Oh, I remember that from when it was Delilah's. It wasn't a karaoke bar then, just very plush and decadent. Loved going there with FB and friends. I think I mentioned Bacchus as having a smoke friendly lounge possibly before, however, it seems that room may have changed to a private room. Don't know for sure, but I'm sure other's here may know how to advise accordingly.

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

c'hi has a private room that's also a karaoke bar.  i believe it seats about 25 people.

*edited for my engrish  :rolleyes:

Oh, I remember that from when it was Delilah's. It wasn't a karaoke bar then, just very plush and decadent. Loved going there with FB and friends.

w00t.gif

Are they doing karaoke at Parkside now (the room which used to be Delilah's)?

Nobody tells me anything :wink:

(I believe it's Ch'i with the karaoke private room, and Parkside with the curtained-off booth which nearly qualifies as a private room.)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

- Hart House has a cottage on the lake which looks cozy and I think can seat about 20

- Sequoya grill (sp?) has a private room as well (my friend's rehersal dinner was here)

Anyone know of good venues for larger groups? I have 60-80 people looking for a bar to invade for a reunion.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Earls at Paramount Place has an entire Private Dining section on its ritzy mezzanine level. Good for presentations or hockey orgies. Looks like it might seat up to about 40 or so--more for a standup.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

"One of the biggest (and quietest) growth sectors in the Vancouver dining market over the past few years has been in Private Dining."

The personal chef industry takes a small piece of that pie too.

With about 25% of our bookings for in-home dinner parties being corporate affairs for clients or staff at the bosses house, with a PC taking care of the food and service.

It adds to the personal aspect by having it in their home...and they can supply their own wines.

Morton's is another one for the list, they have 2 private boardrooms that can accommodate about 30-40 each.

Delilah's has two also, but I think they can only seat about 6 a piece.

another thought....

i'm not sure if she's still doing this but i had the pleasure of attending a friend's birthday dinner celebration at marta pan's (of pan-o-pan) house. we paid per head, she prepared a 9 course dinner and her husband provided us a list of pairing wines per course and we showed up with that. it was a wonderful evening of tasty food, warm and cozy environment and great hosts. the bonus was that we didn't have to clean up! we brought our own music and also accomodated to various allergies and non meat diners.

i believe there were about 16 of us.

hope she is as i would love to do that again!

Edited by makanmakan (log)

Quentina

"One of the biggest (and quietest) growth sectors in the Vancouver dining market over the past few years has been in Private Dining."

The personal chef industry takes a small piece of that pie too.

With about 25% of our bookings for in-home dinner parties being corporate affairs for clients or staff at the bosses house, with a PC taking care of the food and service.

It adds to the personal aspect by having it in their home...and they can supply their own wines.

[EDIT]

Touché, Frances. A very good point.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

^ Out of curiosity, is there a baseline average price for private chef's or is that a taboo topic? I always dreamed of having a chef come cook for my guests...wow talk about cool.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Thought I would share a few more private rooms in some of the restaurants I work with. Cate

LA TERRAZZA has two stunning private rooms. The Enoteca (the word “Enoteca” in Italian means wine bar - at La Terrazza it means a relaxed wine room) and the Terrace Room. Whether you have 10, 20, 60 or 200 people, La Terrazza has space for your private function - larger groups can be seated in the dining room.

The Enoteca room is a private wine room that can seat up to 25 people boardroom style. The room has a private entrance from outside, (a doorman can be provided) an entrance through the restaurant, or a door into the Terrace room. Seating is at a large hand carved table. The Enoteca is separately ventilated making it a perfect tasting room.

The Terrace room is an elegant, private room seating up to 60 people at round tables. The room is spacious with fine linens, marble and mosiacs and is reminisent of an large enclosed outdoor Italian balcony.

The dining room seats 100, a separate lounge that also serves food seats 40.

La Terrazza

Fine West Coast Italian cuisine and well-crafted wine.

1088 Cambie Street (at Pacific)

Vancouver, BC V6B 6J5

604-899-4449 info@laterrazza.ca

View private rooms at www.laterrazza.ca

GOTHAM STEAKHOUSE AND COCKTAIL BAR has three lovely private rooms as well as a mezzanine level that, although open to the lower level of the restaurant by a balcony style wall, is still very private.

Lower Floor - The Boardroom - Suitable for smaller groups of 8 to 18, guests can be seated at a boardroom table or at two round tables. Take the spiral staircase or elevator downstairs to this lovely private room. Complimented by a beautiful fireplace and lighted wine cabinets, the room has a quiet understated elegance.

Lower Floor - The Club Room - Seating for up to 32 in a variety of table styles and comfortable for 50 reception style. The room features built in audiovisual systems with DVD and its own private bar. A reception lobby area between the Club room and the Boardroom can be utilized for a standup reception before dinner and the 2 rooms can be used together for presentations followed by dinner.

Main level - Dining room and bar - Gotham Steakhouse and Cocktail Bar can be booked, in its entirety, by special arrangement. Groups of 150 can be seated throughout the dining room and complete restaurant private bookings include the use of the bar and urban patio featuring an outdoor fireplace and walled garden. The bar is comfortable for 150 guests reception style.

Upper Floor - The Mezzanine - This room, comfortable for 60 is seated restaurant style at individual tables and banquettes. Upstairs on the floor above the main dining room the mezzanine has the feel of an open balcony with the seclusion of a private room. The jewel in the crown of this upper level floor is the small Romeo and Juliet style balcony just off the mezzanine that can seat as many as ten guests or used as a private room just for two. It has French doors and a small elevator directly off the room so you can travel back and forth to the main floor and restrooms

Gotham Steakhouse and Cocktail Lounge

615 Seymour Street

Vancouver, BC V6B 3K3

604-605-8282

View private rooms at www.gothamsteakhouse.com

FEENIE'S is the more casual, younger, funky sibling to Lumière, Chef Rob Feenie's star restaurant. Open Lunch, brunch and dinner. The private room can seat 16-20 guests, has sliding pocket doors for complete privacy and has an audio visual system with a large flat screen, separate sound system and built in DVD and VCR.

The dining room seats 40-50, bar and lounge seat 30 and patio seats 14

Feenie's

2563 West Broadway,

Vancouver, BC V6K 2E9

604-739-7115

GYU TEPPANYAKI is a restaurant made up of many private rooms, all with your own private chef! Vancouver's only Japanese Teppanyaki restaurant. Exquisite ingredients from Japan with regional ingredient influences. A selection of rooms with private chefs offer set menus or sample many traditional Japanese foods. Chefs are discreet, service warm & professional, food & wine of the highest quality.

Four separate private rooms seat 4 to 12, 12 to 24 and a larger room can seat up to 40

Gyu Japanese Teppanyaki

219-755 Burrard Street,

(Across from the Hotel Vancouver)

Vancouver, BC 604-688-7050

Wheelchair Accessible (by elevator)

HAMILTON STREET GRILL has a private dining room, a side bar and an entire restaurant available to meet a lot of event needs. They can host parties as large as 400 and as small as 16.

Private Room 18 (sit down) to 32 people (reception) with a private bar and optional pool table available.

Main Dining Room seats 40 and the lower dining room seats 80. Entire restaurant can host 400 for a standup reception.

Hamilton Street Grill

1009 Hamilton Street,

Vancouver, BC V6B 2R9

604-331-1511

hamiltonstreetgrill@telus.net

www.diningoutguide.com

GEORGE - This tiny private room, part of George Ultra Lounge is comfortable for 4, or maybe 6 if jsut for just drinks. The back area of the lounge can be booked separately as well and is comfortable for 12. Although not private, it does allow for a group booking.

George

1137 Hamilton Street

Yaletown, Vancouver, BC

604-628-5555

www.georgelounge.com

Edited by kissmekate (log)

Cate Simpson

Les Dames d'Escoffier International

www.ldei.org

www.lesdames.ca

I have had the pleasure of dinning a few times in the room at La Terrazza, mentioned above. I would highly recommend it. Great service and the owners are extremely friendly, and one of the three always around.

The room at Il Giardino is also wonderful. It does have a wine cellar feel simillar to that at La Terrazza. I know that Il Giardino could also block off their two patio areas for private parties as well.

I would also recommend another one of the club room mentioned above at Gothams. I went there for Dinner with my work last year and wow the service was spectacular. It was a Saturday night and they seemed fully booked but we still felt like we had more servers then guest dedicated just to us, it was just the illusion but, everyone had a great time (except for the one co worker we got drunk on scotch and spent most the evening in the washroom :unsure: )

Edited by D90 (log)

Was walking by Heron's at the Fairmont Waterfront

and saw that they've got a great private space

with floor to ceiling windows with a water/mountain view.

Looks like it would seat about 25 or so.

Ate there last year with some Fairmont staff during the

Playhouse wine fest. Food was very good.

If you detect a bit of stress in my text it's

'cause Rachael Ray is on the Food Network

on the TV in the living room and I am too lazy

to get up to change it.

Just had a thought, what if you booked one

of the suites at the Pan Pacific and asked

the Five Sails to serve dinner up there?

That would be a great party.

Bob McLeod

VOX BACCULUS HIC VADIS IN VITRIO JUBILIAM

The road goes on forever and the party never ends

Al Porto out in Gastown has a bunch of private rooms too:

The Wine Room (up to 35 persons); The Terrazzo Room (up to 50 persons); The Loft Room (up to 70 persons); Main Dining (up to 150 persons)

Nice classic Italian rustic feel. Check out their website: http://alporto.ca

Glowbal out in Yaletown also apparently books out there lounge Afterglow for large parties as well. Though that could get quite costly.

Out in Richmond, there is Also Restaurant & Lounge. They have a small private room there as well. Though the food there is not downtown fine dining quality, it is definitely decent and prices are good for groups.

Let's talk about Food @ www.tasteof604.com!

....I knew it! Finally someone else puts up a post so I don't have to blatantly sell myself on e-gullet - thanks Mr. Maw! - my friend and I manage a couple of properties in Whistler where he does the cheffing side and I play the affable butler - we are always looking for city gigs if anyone wants to pm me.