• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating well on Oahu - no fish or seafood

Eden

Help! On my previous trip to hawaii several years ago I had difficulty finding good food within our limitations and am hoping that this time maybe some eGulleteers can give me advice to make it more foodie friendly.

We'll be visiting Oahu* in January, and of course we would like to eat well while we're there. Unfortunately, we have two major restrictions (besides budget)

1: I am allergic to both fish & seafood - I can have a little thai fish sauce as a minor component in a dish, but nothing more than that or bad things will happen, which I know means I'm missing out on some of the best of the local cuisine - what can you do?

2: My adorable husband is not so keen on Thai or Japanese cuisine in general, so I have to keep those to a minimum. (no accounting for tastes)

Now we both love Plate Lunch, but on our last trip, after eating some of the worst mexican food I've ever seen, and a lot of really dull low-quality "american" food, Plate Lunch became almost the only thing we ate & frankly we got pretty tired of it after a while. (and yet we never got tired of malasadas - hmm)

So in short, what are some good affordable places to dine outside the plate lunch arena, that aren't too fishy or japanese/thai ?

Thanks for any advice!

*we'll be renting a condo in Waikiki but will have a rental car at least part of the time, so food outside of honolulu is of interest as well.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

• 4 weeks later...

sorry, somehow my flag on this thread got lost so I didn't see that there were any replies.

re why Bill doesn't like Japanese: he just says it's "too salty" but eats other things that I find saltier, so it's obviously just one of those weird husband things :wink:

thanks for the suggestions.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...