• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Egg White Powder

miladyinsanity

I think I may have tried using all dry whites some years ago on an Angel Food cake.

It was a bit strange, not awful but maybe a bit wet or something.

You can freeze whites as you go or maybe have a cooking weekend where you use the yolks for a brulee and the whites for an angel food cake?

2317/5000

I've used Just Whites brand powdered whites, and they seem to taste fine. I would expect that powdered egg whites are pretty much the same from manufacturer to manufacturer, since the only ingredient is dried egg whites. But I've only used the Just Whites brand myself.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I've used Just Whites brand powdered whites, and they seem to taste fine. I would expect that powdered egg whites are pretty much the same from manufacturer to manufacturer, since the only ingredient is dried egg whites. But I've only used the  Just Whites brand myself.

Just Whites is manufactured by Deb El Foods, a subsidiary of Pappetti's, which in turn is part of Michael Foods, the world's largest egg processor. They market powdered whites under a variety of names. Odds are any brand of egg whites you buy will be from Michael, though there are other processors.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

• 3 years later...

Hey -- resurrecting this thread with another question. I've been using Just Whites since I bought a tin on a whim on clearance at the local supermarket, and really like how easy they make baking with egg whites. But I'd rather not spend money on eggs from cage-raised chickens..

Anyone out there know if there are suppliers making powdered egg whites from free-range eggs? My web searches turned up boxed free-range egg whites available (http://www.eggnation.co.uk/shop.php) in the UK, but I haven't found anything here in the U.S.

I use powdered egg whites, either in bulk from the local amish market, or Just Whites, in all my mallow cremes and fillings. I dont think you can taste any difference and they seem to give you more room for error when beating. I use a 2tsp - 2tbsp ratio for each egg white called for in a recipe, but I have been experimenting a good bit lately and have found 8 tsp can easly give you the same effect as 5-6 standard whites. And I just leave mine in the bulk foods bag they came in from the market. Once mixed, they must be treated like true egg whites.

Edited by pringle007 (log)

"It only hurts if it bites you" - Steve Irwin

"Whats another word for Thesaurus?" - Me

I use egg white powder all the time, now, for royal icing and SMBC. I'm delighted with the results, frankly. My royal is very stable; doesn't break down as quickly, and, colors don't bleed as readily.

The royal also dries very quickly, even in humid conditions. It's fantastic.

After all my success with royal icing, I decided to try it in the SMBC, instead of using

pasteurized egg whites. Great results!

I'm a convert. I buy it in bulk from a purveyor.....I think it's Just Whites from DebEl.

www.onetoughcookienyc.com

I use egg white powder all the time, now, for royal icing and SMBC.  I'm delighted with the results, frankly.  My royal is very stable; doesn't break down as quickly, and, colors don't bleed as readily.

The royal also dries very quickly, even in humid conditions.  It's fantastic.

After all my success with royal icing, I decided to try it in the SMBC, instead of using

pasteurized egg whites.  Great results! 

I'm a convert.  I buy it in bulk from a purveyor.....I think it's Just Whites from DebEl.

Cost wise, how does it compare with shell eggs or even frozen whites? I'm considering jumping to the dark side and switching from Italian to Swiss for my meringue buttercream. I know my costs will be different, me being in Boston and you being in NYC, but I am going through 30-45 dz eggs a week and half of that is just for buttercream and there is only so many yolks I can use for curd, custard, etc. I can't use the frozen whites with the hot syrup, they deflate. So now I'm intrigued and will look into it.....

Cost wise, how does it compare with shell eggs or even frozen whites?  I'm considering jumping to the dark side and switching from Italian to Swiss for my meringue buttercream.  I know my costs will be different, me being in Boston and you being in NYC, but I am going through 30-45 dz eggs a week and half of that is just for buttercream and there is only so many yolks I can use for curd, custard, etc.  I can't use the frozen whites with the hot syrup, they deflate.  So now I'm intrigued and will look into it.....

I have found the cost to be very effective if you can get it in bulk.

"It only hurts if it bites you" - Steve Irwin

"Whats another word for Thesaurus?" - Me

Cost wise, how does it compare with shell eggs or even frozen whites?  I'm considering jumping to the dark side and switching from Italian to Swiss for my meringue buttercream.  I know my costs will be different, me being in Boston and you being in NYC, but I am going through 30-45 dz eggs a week and half of that is just for buttercream and there is only so many yolks I can use for curd, custard, etc.  I can't use the frozen whites with the hot syrup, they deflate.  So now I'm intrigued and will look into it.....

I have found the cost to be very effective if you can get it in bulk.

I agree. And, I make what I need and use it. I don't worry about opened cartons of pasteurized egg whites and their expiration date, nor do I have to turn those whites into mountains of SMBC.

No waste = cost effectiveness. And, you'd be surprised just far a pound of egg white powder will go. Plus I have extra room in the 'fridge and the freezer now that I'm not buying the frozen,

pasteurized whites.

www.onetoughcookienyc.com