• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cassoulet in Vancouver

• 3 weeks later...

I have had the cassoulet from Oyama, though I didn't know it was part of a festival. They make it up in every November and you have to order it ahead. I did last year and I found it . . . a bit dry. It comes packed in a foil baking pan, but does not include the sausage or duck. You buy those and mix them in with the beans, then cook it up. Not bad, but not as good as stuff I have bought in a jar in Paris or had at Cafe de Paris on Denman. On the other hand, I may order it again this year and try adding some stock and duck fat to kick up the moisture content.

Edited by Paul B (log)

Paul B

I ordered it and they recommend me to add confit and a few sausages as you mentioned Paul. I am getting it friday and will let you know how it is.

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

I ordered it and they recommend me to add confit and  a few sausages as you mentioned Paul. I am getting it friday and will let you know how it is.

Excellent. If you like it, I'll pick some up early next week. Cassoulet is just about my fave meal in the world, but I've never had any real success in making it myself (although I have a new recipe from Cook's Illustrated that I'm going to try soon). Bon chance.

Paul B

Cassoulet is just about my fave meal in the world, but I've never had any real success in making it myself (although I have a new recipe from Cook's Illustrated that I'm going to try soon).  Bon chance.

The very first eGullet Recipe Cook-off was Cassoulet HERE. Check it out ... I made a pretty good cassoulet from Les Halles and it wasn't dificult at all.

Must ... visit ... Oyama ... soon :unsure:

A.

• 10 months later...