• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot (new?) French Pastry Chefs

tan319

Prepare to be amazed!

Some outstanding new things going on in France, new to me at least.

It pays off to stick my nose into the French forum here every once in awhile.

First, for all of the chocolate freaks, a 'new-ish' chocolatier named Patrick Roger, very nice stuff...

Patrick Roger

Next, a more "classique" pastry chef/chocolatier named Arnaud Larher, very nice looking items

Arnaud Larher

Last but not least, my personal fave, first discovered on Louisa Chu's movable feast, Pastry chef Xavier Le Quere's website.

Xavier Le Quere

I really like the look of Xaviers pastries, very "fresh" , these cool white squarish "pot's of chocolate creams and vanilla creams (cremeux's?), you'll see if you check 'em out.

And according to Louisa, the chef and one assistant are turning this repetoire out, no mean feat.

I hope you'll enjoy these sites.

2317/5000

I was sitting in my jammies, realizing I had an extra hour to gather inspiration for the day(damn the daylight savings time!), when I came upon your post. Amazing! Xavier Le Quere is also my favorite. What beautiful stuff! I'm ready to go forth and conquer the pastry world this morning! I have to say that I always enjoy seeing master pastry chefs making stuff with less-than-perfect edges. It makes me feel better about the things I made towards the end of the day that weren't exactly square, a tiny bit rough, or just plain "rustic." But then I looked at Patrick Roger's absolutely perfect chocolates, I thought, yeah, I've got a way to go...Thanks!

I have to say that I always enjoy seeing master pastry chefs making stuff with less-than-perfect edges.  It makes me feel better about the things I made towards the end of the day that weren't exactly square, a tiny bit rough, or just plain "rustic."  But then I looked at Patrick Roger's absolutely perfect chocolates, I thought, yeah, I've got a way to go...Thanks!

Yes Maggie, that's exactly how I felt last night as I discovered these, like "pack it up, stop pretending", etc.

Xavier Le Queres work I became aware of through the movable-feast site and I hadn't thought of it until your post but I suppose I see Le Quere as bridging the gap between plated desserts and patisserie work.

Hence, the not exactly square, rough or "rustic" look.

I sometimes wonder if it comes from being "perfect" all the time...

Drewman, the Caffet site looks great, thanks much for that link!

2317/5000

That's the chance you take on these kinds of things, all look, maybe not amazing taste.

A lot of competition too.

Let us know if you find the notes on the desserts.

2317/5000