• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Malcolm Anderson

Vinfidel

hello friends

wondering if anyone here reads the wine reviews in the gazette. not sure if it comes more than saturday but i only have the saturday issue each week to read the food articles

today malcolm anderson blames high-alcohol wines on global warming the first i have heard this comment, maybe it is peculiar to the hot wines at the saq :laugh:

high alcohol = global warming.

not to get too deep into wine talk but this is really the craziest thing i have heard in a while. how did this guy get his job!! he loves to generalize

there is not a lot of direction and education for all the montrealers out there i wish he had more sense in his writings and focus on the saq and what can be had that is truly great and a good find here

it seems to be a good wine comes here then it disappears in 2-3 days as all the wine connaiseurs buy all the stock

he does not even seem to focus on new releases or saparate SIGNATURE from CLASSIC and other wines like the saq does

does anyone else read his reviews? what do they think

today he reviews an undrinkable wine. Maison Nicloas Cabernet from d"oc $11.50 in the saq for sure cheaper than evian in france

i picked one up at atwater since i won 15% off and decided to see what grandpa anderson was drinking. this is a terrible wine, worse than a dep wine. for $3 more drink Roseline which is very tasty from provence. what they did to the cabrnet grape at maison nicolas is a crime against the vine

clearly he is drinking magic kool aid if he think this is a good wine - 3 and a half stars !!!

lower on the page he give CONUNDRUM 4 stars.

i suspect he will go to the guigal lala event and then give those wines 3 stars

who is this man and where did he come from?

Why would you waste time on him anyway? I mean, he actually rates Borsao pretty highly. Probably likes lollipops and spiked high-school punch, too.

As for covering the high-end stuff, that's not really in his job description. The Gazette's target audience is West Island suburbanites, and they're most interested in $8-$15 bottles. His coverage is geared mainly to them. For the kind of coverage you want, subscribe to one of the local wine gurus' newsletters (e.g. Phaneuf) or try to get your hands on the limited-circulation mags that target physicians, dental surgeons, lawyers, executives, etc. and have regular wine columns.

And, btw, ripe grapes have high sugar levels and high sugar levels have the potential to produce high alcohol levels (case in point: Califonia pinot noir that regularly clocks in at 14%). Sure, there are other factors, like yeast strain and canopy management, that enter into play. But there's nothing wrong a priori with his argument as you present it (I've not read the column and probably won't). Unless you're one of those ostriches that pooh-pooh the notion of global warming, that is.

carswell dont be angry about my comments about the brasao and the other mexico wine. i admitted after that i spoke to soon, could have been my flu from that week.

i am not a doctor or lawyer or PDG of big company so i like to see good cellar selections and wines for dirnking now. To promote the wines of maison nicolas is a joke if you know this house. to give so many stars then you wonder what else is at play.

you maybe do not read the gazette since he reviews some high-end wines as well

today he has a $176 barolo if i remember (i resycled the paper already)

and also some wines in the $40 range which is a lot for me and most people. i think you think i only drink $$$$ wines my best wines to love are under $15

thank you carswell for the lesson in winemaking, believe me i know this industry very well

do you not think it is a gross generalization to blame high ripeness on global warming (think australia, california over the last 15+ years - think of the average temperate) or on vineyard management? or even worse to teach the poor west islanders that this is why wines are high alcohol now? even worse grandpa complains about high alcohol and then does not post the alcohol % of the wines he reviews!!!!

do you imagine frank prial would write something so stupid?

cook-em-all i guess you have a problem with other peoples opinions. i am not a wine reviewer but i do have a wine business. am not in a position to review any wines and anyways a lot of people i think would not care about what i drink. that is why i ask what is malcolms background. i guess you agree with everything you read. hooray for discourse on this board!

phaneuf i like i find he is much more balance and informative. it is the anglo readers ii think that are being sold some fairy tales

Edited by Vinfidel (log)

The Gazette's target audience is West Island suburbanites

Um, I'm not here to defend Malcolm, however I can't sit back and accept a comment like that. Did someone in management tell you that flat out? Or is it an assumption on your part?

As someone who actually writes for The Gazette, I can tell you I never been swayed that way, or for that matter in any way. In fact, the stories about expensive products are often of most interest to them, for instance the one I wrote this morning about white truffles, which made page 1.

I agree with cook-em-all, if you aren't happy contact the paper, and to be more specific, the editor of that section.

do you not think it is a gross generalization to blame high ripeness on global warming (think australia, california over the last 15+ years - think of the average temperate) or on vineyard management? or even worse to teach the poor west islanders that this is why wines are high alcohol now? even worse grandpa complains about high alcohol and then does not post the alcohol % of the wines he reviews!!!!

don't know about frank prial, but have read similar articles on the New York Times and the BBC about how increasing temperatures are leading to wines with much higher alcohol content. In California it is not uncommon to see wines with an alcohol content of 17%. Of course, the complete story is more complicated, but a major reason is the increasing temperature associated with global warming. Incidentally, many french and italian wines are said to age less well for the same reason.

i like the truffles story. i did not know that you can buy them here as a consumer. it was nice on the front page

gazette i see everywhere including in my neighborhood everyone has it on saturday and it is plateau so supposed to be franco. for this reason i guess is the entertainment. the frenchie paper is not so good in the weekend. so the west island comment i guess is not based on reality.

i am not lodging a complain with the gazette just asking if anyone reads this guy and what they think of him and where he came from

carswell dont be angry about my comments about the brasao and the other mexico wine. i admitted after that i spoke to soon, could have been my flu from that week.

Your withdrawal pointedly applied only to the LA Cetto. The "sangria, wine coolers, and the spiked high school punch of their teenage years" comment re the Borsao came in that same post and after you were asked to drop the insults. The "if I want my wine to taste like Lollipops, I'll put the bottle on a stick and shrink wrap it" comment came a few posts after that. Not to mention the recent jibe in passing in the olive oil thread.

To promote the wines of maison nicolas is a joke if you know this house. to give so many stars then you wonder what else is at play.

Oh, great. Let's not stop at making snarky remarks about Anderson's age or mocking his palate. No, let's accuse him of ulterior motives! Why don't you spell it out, Vinnie? You think he's being bribed? Hey, maybe he's an investor in the company! Has it even occurred to you that he might actually have enjoyed the wine? Or is that not nefarious enough for you?

you maybe do not read the gazette since he reviews some high-end wines as well

I didn't say he covered only low-end, easily available wines. I said that's where his main focus lies.

I'm not going to defend an article I haven't read and don't trust you to summarize clearly or fairly. And what is it about you and older men, anyway?

Prial has famously made a number of dumb comments in recent years and been raked over the coals for them on various wine fora. But, since I don't think saying that global warming is having an effect on ripeness levels is stoopid, I can easily imagine him writing about the connection. And, bubbeleh, why are you mentioning Prial? He's another grandpa!

phaneuf i like i find he is much more balance and informative.

That's funny. In his 2005 guide, he rates the Nicolas two stars out of four. Hardly "undrinkable."

Edited by carswell (log)

The Gazette's target audience is West Island suburbanites

Um, I'm not here to defend Malcolm, however I can't sit back and accept a comment like that. Did someone in management tell you that flat out? Or is it an assumption on your part?

Neither management nor an assumption, Lesley. First, it's something of an open secret; there was even discussion of it in local media a while back (at the time of the last major redesign, if I recall correctly, though it may have been or also have been when the paper was sold to Black or by Black). Also, I've heard it from the mouth of a longtime staff reporter as well as from a former freelancer (who, I admit, may have been grinding an axe over the royalties brouhaha of a few years ago). More specific to Anderson, while I've not heard it from his lips, I was told by the wine columnist for another Montreal daily that several years ago MA was instructed by management to focus mainly on low-end wines.

That said, coverage of more expensive wines, foodstuffs and creature comforts does appear to have increased in recent years, especially post-9/11.

Circulation statistics do not lie. Care to quote some?

edit: clarity

Edited by carswell (log)

gazette i see everywhere including in my neighborhood everyone has it on saturday and it is plateau so supposed to be franco. for this reason i guess is the entertainment. the frenchie paper is not so good in the weekend. so the west island comment i guess is not based on reality.

The Gazette is distributed throughout the city, including predominantly French neighbourhoods, and has a fairly large number of francophone readers (a far higher percentage than La Presse, Le Devoir or Le Journal's anglo readership, to our city's eternal shame). So what? Are you suggesting that sales are higher in the Plateau than in NDG, Pointe-Claire or DDO? You can buy Le Journal in Beaconsfield, too. Guess that means the claim that its target audience is francophone East Enders and South and North Shore types isn't reality based, eh?

en garde Carswell! for this hallowen i think you will dress as superman, protector of truth and justice for egullet and for montreal

i do not know about the west island or gazette only it seems that it is sold everywhere. maybe the statistics are available but it is not importnat - for this board it is english and i think we deserve better. lesley i enjoy your reviews even if i dont agree and i always learn something new like today with quebec city. i will go soon. the other restos like the bellydancing one today i dont think it is my style.

can i propose something? let us all make peace with a glass of wine and some notes of great finds at the SAQ especially during this good sale

i will go first

1. Roseline Cote du provence 2004 - excellent value around $14 easing drinking make it a bit cold before you drink

2. Catamayor Sauvignon Blanc uruguay 2005 - $13 this is great and such a good deal. very fresh fruits and low alcohol will be good for papa malcolm

ahh, another saturday another time for the demon grandpa to raise his cranky head

today he speaks such wonder of exaggertations i cannot believe it so i will post it here

today he say that:

MONTREAL PASSION DU VIN is the greatest wine festival in the world! And he challenge you to find a better one

After reading the summarie of our friend JFL I am wondering if grandpa has not been hitting the bottle too much recently

i saw the promotion for the guigal dinner and was not really impressed with the price. is it a promotion or for major profits?! i like that guigal is here but please mr jr. if you come so far maybe you can bring a case from the caves and not only the fresh supply you sold the monopolistes

i wish i had gone so as to post a comment prima facie

i will go next year and report back for sure but please my friends from here, tell me if this is truly the best wine event on the planet!

maybe somebody should call bipin desai and christie's and wine spectator and alexandre les saluces and let them know what they are missing!

will lesley or other journalists do a real report?

woah,

is there something personal going on here? Its just the gazette, a local paper. I would have higher stds for a national/international paper, but please remember that it is the gazette. No offense to gazoo employees and fans, but its true.

maxanon... nothing personal

i just find the reviews of this man to be a bit bizarre

then today i read his claim that the event is the best in the world!

it is very rare even in a small town to hear someone say that something in the village is the best in the world

then again, maybe papa malcolm did not leave the town for a long long time., maybe there is a better festivale in trois rivieres

haha

the best joke is the challenge he throws out to the whole world that the PASSIONS DU VIN is the greatest wine festival in the whole world

THE WHOLE WORLD!

me, for one i say that the Wine Specator experience in new york (just passed) is a few thousand percent better than the wines tasted at the one here

keep in mind i did not attend the event here but i did taste some of the wines

i particular fault guigal for not bringing the better LALAs especialy since he and his father should be quite honored to taste with some frenchman outside of france